all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Social Distance Strong!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm spending a lot of time looking out my windows.
What kind of birds are those guys with the black heads?
The squirrels are back!
Wow! I think that's a hawk in the tree!

Yesterday we went grocery shopping... and noticed that the car next to us had a big pack of toilet paper in the back seat! Didn't find any in the store, of course. Are we starting to flatten out the toilet paper curve?

Colorado just went on "stay at home" order. Fortunately liquor stores are categorized as essential services...

Yup. Folks weren't sure what would be affected by the stay at home order, panic buying set it. Unfortunately predictable.
I threw caution to the wind and went to a Whole Foods today.
The changes were unnerving.
Security with a clicker at the entrance.
Only 50 shoppers at a time.
Signs throughout the store with rules. 2 cartons of eggs per customer, 1 gallon of milk.
Ready to checkout? Stand in a line, in a square, 6 ft apart.
Plexiglass between me and the cashier.

Signs throughout the store with rules. 2 cartons of eggs per customer, 1 gallon of milk.
It's about time....

I went grocery shopping aka foraging for food today. Have not done a shop in about 10 days now...i have a pretty stocked pantry as far as dried goods...probably 2 months, which is my usual, but we are down to powdered milk and the last of frozen fruits/veggies. So...it's time to hunt!!

One of our major chains here is Loblaws, which owns a variety of stores depending on your city (Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills, etc). Not sure what would be your equivalent. I live a bit over an hour from the nearest Costco so it is not worth the drive for me, especially with sale prices here.

In Superstore today it was pretty civilized....what you describe, tape on the floor, etc and yes security but no clicker, just the manager counting. But yes, no toilet paper. Apparently even with limits sells out in 2-3 hrs. I got there at 10. We can order grocery online, but it is booked 3 weeks in advance. I put in an online order for t.p. for then. I have no time to go out hinting everyday and need to stay out of germy stores!

I sent this photo to my mom, she thought I was joking when I said I have now devised a "backup" if worse comes to worse..aka as a "manual" bidet (squirtbottle idea from working with maternity patients and their cleanup lol!) and rewashable cloths... Hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do (hopefully in this case......not :oops:)

Attachments

• 20200326_172356.jpg
    20200326_172356.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 11
Speaking of working out, what’s your Quarantine Corner look like?
We have this scary looking guesthouse. Last year we turned it into a scary looking workout place. We call it the Swole Shed. It’s been renamed The Social Distance Shed until further notice.
View attachment 10025
Gosh, I would be happy to have such corners at home.

Kettlebell wrist guards?

I've started GTG C+P throughout the day as I'm working from home. Are wrist guards acceptable, or do sore wrists just mean I'm doing it wrong?

Kettlebell wrist guards?

I've started GTG C+P throughout the day as I'm working from home. Are wrist guards acceptable, or do sore wrists just mean I'm doing it wrong?

I think some kettlebells are just going to be uncomfortable to hold because of how they're built, or because of how you're built. There's no shame in wearing wrist guards if you need to however it's not an excuse to be slack in your technique.

My wrist guards will make an audible 'clack' against the bell if I use poor technique in the clean and let the bell crash against my wrist so I would aim to make my cleans as quiet as possible to ensure that I wasn't pulling the bell too high and letting it crash down. If your wrist guards are too padded to make any kind of noise, maybe tape a coin to the spot on your wrist where the kettlebell sits to give you something to listen out for.

Here's a little food for thought: the stock for the company I work for lost about 60% of it's original value when the panic selling hit its peak (or, at least the most recent peak). Today its back up to about 70% of its original value.

What that means is, if you had the guts (and the means) to buy when the panic selling hit it's peak, you could have made 70% gain on your investment. That effectively represents a transfer of wealth from those who can least afford it (i.e. the people who were panicking) to those who need it least (i.e. the people who could afford to invest while others panicked).

Crazy times. Don't get suckered.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom