all posts post new thread

Nutrition Sodium Intake

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
If I googled this right 5g of sodium is equal to about 1 teaspoon?
Is anyone taking in more than 5g as an electrolyte supplement?
For a while I was adding salt to my water (usually 1tsp) in the morning before training. Then I ran out of Himalayan salt. Then I just kind of got out of that habit. Finally got around to buying more and starting up again with the 1tsp in the am.
I was wondering if anyone noticed any sort of benefits from taking in more than 5g? Or if there’s any benefit to take it at once or spreading it out throughout the day in addition to salting meat.

I’ve read that on lower carb diets people tend to pass more sodium and that upping it can be super beneficial (most of my info from this has come from Robb Wolf).

We keep a small open dish of sea salt on our stove - I'll take a pinch now and then as the urge strikes me. But I don't monitor this in any way.

I have noticed that sometimes, if I find myself wanting to eat more and more of something that, for some reason, is only halfway satisfying my hunger, a pinch of salt does the trick.

-S-

This is very interesting! What are the benefits of consuming more salt in your diet as Robb Wolf is suggesting? It seems perhaps a bit counter intuitive point from Wolf (as far as I've understood, he's a proponent of paleo diet) as people in the Paleolithic consumed only very little salt.

To me, 5 grams of sodium as a supplement sounds quite high. According to FDA, the Daily Value for sodium is less than 2,3 grams. The mass percent composition of sodium in sodium chloride is around 40 % so a teaspoonful of salt would already amount to your daily value of sodium. In the study below, they noticed that joint guidelines for sodium and potassium (sodium's antagonist), intended for most American adults, are currently being met by ≤0.015% of the population.

I'm, for one, struggling to keep my salt intake below 5 grams as they put salt in almost everything. Then again, I'm not an expert on the subject and I just know that health authorities have been telling us to cut back on sodium for decades.

If I googled this right 5g of sodium is equal to about 1 teaspoon?
Is anyone taking in more than 5g as an electrolyte supplement?
For a while I was adding salt to my water (usually 1tsp) in the morning before training. Then I ran out of Himalayan salt. Then I just kind of got out of that habit. Finally got around to buying more and starting up again with the 1tsp in the am.
I was wondering if anyone noticed any sort of benefits from taking in more than 5g? Or if there’s any benefit to take it at once or spreading it out throughout the day in addition to salting meat.

I’ve read that on lower carb diets people tend to pass more sodium and that upping it can be super beneficial (most of my info from this has come from Robb Wolf).
Good info. on this subject from Paul Mason on Human Performance Outliers podcast # 198, also a book, The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantinio

Btwn. Celtic,Pink Him. and baking soda I'm guessing I'm at 10+ grams a day.

Last edited:
According to FDA,
The FDA

Their recommendations need to be taken with "A grain of salt".

Some of their information is viable and some of their information is built on outdated data and essentially being bought off by the food industry.

...health authorities have been telling us to cut back on sodium for decades.

Health Authorities Ignorance

This groups information is old data. It is based on 20th Century reserarch.

New Flash! We've been in the 21st Centruy for 21 years with updated research.

Unfortunately, these "Health Authorities" have not caught up.

Sodium Intake

A pletheora of new research shows that most healthy individual fuction more efficiently with a higher sodium intake.

also a book, The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantinio

Dr. Jame Diconlantinio

I read the book.

With that said, essentially the same information is covered in...

High Salt Diets and Ahtletic Performance

The following information provide great information on the importance of sodium.

Sodium, Your Secrete Weapon

The FDA

Their recommendations need to be taken with "A grain of salt".

Some of their information is viable and some of their information is built on outdated data and essentially being bought off by the food industry.

Health Authorities Ignorance

This groups information is old data. It is based on 20th Century reserarch.

New Flash! We've been in the 21st Centruy for 21 years with updated research.

Unfortunately, these "Health Authorities" have not caught up.

Sodium Intake

A pletheora of new research shows that most healthy individual fuction more efficiently with a higher sodium intake.

Dr. Jame Diconlantinio

I read the book.

With that said, essentially the same information is covered in...

High Salt Diets and Ahtletic Performance

The following information provide great information on the importance of sodium.

Sodium, Your Secrete Weapon

Pretty sure I heard about the book from the Mutzel podcast.

I use salt by how I feel. When I'm eating less carbs I put more salt in the water I'm drinking for my workout and I notice better performance/energy. Also, anecdotally speaking, when people go low or very low carb and think they aren't adapting to it, adding more salt seems to help.

The one question I have in regards to that is: What about hunter gatherers and the like who don't eat very many carbs?

Anyways, regardless of my carb intake, I feel better with more salt than less.

I’m kind of curious how in the world people even started using salt and what people did who weren’t near the ocean. Wonder how people got sodium way back when.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom