all posts post new thread

Somanaut

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Saturday the 16th of December
3 x (10 halo 16kg + 5 goblet squat 24kg + 5 glute bridge)
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg
5x1 TGU 32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg

Note:
Decided to try an all out 32kg practise. Was harder than I thought. Did 10 swings on the min., 10 reps takes around 17 sec., ended at 9.17 min for 100 1 hand swings. 3 min break then TGU with 1 min break between a set of left and right, so 4x1 min breaks, ended at 14.08. I am thinking about staying with the 32kg for swings and do 2 hand swings if I need a lighter day.

Saturday the 17th of December
2min break
10x10 2 hand swing with the 32kg
5x1 TGU 32kg

Note:
10t swings on the minute, but today just 2 hand, was harder for breathing, I assume it's because one can expend more explosive power than with the 1 hand swing. Anyway it was hard. TGU was hard as well, but interesting, the weight shifted between being heavy and light, I hope that it's because my technique is getting better, it's almost a shift in perception/perspective. Had some trouble on the left side from lunge to standing, left leg is weaker than right.
There is a long way to simple goal, maybe it's because I am older than last time, or because I have a busier schedule than last time, or because I am practicing nearly daily, and thus focusing on recuperation and not on "performance". Once simple is achieved, the plan is to start working on OAOLPU alongside, I don't know yet how to program it, but will search the forums and ask questions when it's time to change from only S&S.
It's clear to me that S&S is a GPP. I think, that I didn't understand that the last time. It can function as a skill and capacity base for ROP or pretty much any athletic endeavor/sport. This becomes very apparent if you like me had no significant experience with strength training prior to S&S. I did kendo when I was in my twenties, and yoga for 3/4 of my thirties. It's a minimalist program, which I like. And shines as a prehab, I firmly believe that if you are untrained and follow the program by the book, it will reduce your chance of injury in most sports/physical activities. I suspect that it will also make you faster and more resilient for ditto. It will probably give you a bigger buffer for starting a new physical activity, ex. running would probably be easier. But these are all speculations on my part, and no way of verifying them. Is S&S the best GPP program? No idea, how would you measure it? But it's the only one I can relate to. Rambling today...

Monday the 18th of December
Weight: 68,2kg
OA Plank 2x30 sec left+right
2min break
10x10 1 hand swing 32kg on the minute
TGU 5x1 32kg

Note: First couple of sets of swings was crap, but it got better about halfway, still hard but much better form, bell even reached shoulder level without me even trying, was focusing on ab bracing, glute contraction and plank.
Did 2 sets of left-right TGU back to back, 1 min break, then again 2 sets left-right, 1 min break and the final set of left-right. The transition to back to back TGU is hard, but I suspected that the break in between left-right before next left right was more a "oh boy this is hard" than me not being able to handle to work. But the last set especially the left one, was very hard, and left side was done.
All in all a good practise, and I was prepared for the worst, wasn't sore, but just not motivated. I can feel a sticky point of the program coming up, a plateau of sorts, where it's just going to suck for a while before I see improvements. In a sense, the program is starting now, and what was before was just a warmup. When the freshness and leaps of progress has cooled down, and it's just the grind. But I will stick with it, and get through it. But I am not deceiving myself, it's going to be hard. Oh joy...

Last edited:
Tuesday the 19th of December
2min break
10x10 1 hand swing 32kg on the minute
3 min break
TGU 10x1 32kg

Note: Was contemplating taking a light day today, felt very tired last night after work when I got home at 22.00, but body felt fresh today (despite no stretching yesterday), so decided I would see how the 32kg swing felt today, and it felt really solid. So just went with a regular day. Swings were strong but not explosive. Glute-ab-quad contraction seems better at top, unhappy with the back swing, and I twist a little to one side in the back swing. Probably the best day of 32kg swings yet. Which resulted in me taking it easy on the TGU afterwards, left-right 1 min break, but form felt good. No sucky plateau yet.

Wednesday the 20th of December
2min break
10x10 2 hand swings 32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg
5x1 TGU 32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg

Note:
Rough brain day, almost dizzy and so tired, hard to focus. Tried 1 hand swings, couldn't control the bell as I wanted, so went for 2 hand, was fine. TGU was not a problem, no balance issues. I like the TGU, it enables me to focus. Tomorrow will be a day off cause of social obligations, and I could use one I think.
Edit: The first hour after practise or so I was mentally spaced out, but after I had eaten and had a cup of coffee, I started to notice that my body felt really fresh and light. Same feeling this morning, haven't felt so light in a long time, it could just be a coincidence, but I have a tiny hope, that it's exposure to the program and continuity with it. Evening meditation also went really well, compared to the last couple of days, where it has been a struggle. Looking forward to just posting once a week in 2018. Thanks Pavel, SF and forum for the program and the community. I am not sure that I will ever be able to practise in a gym with others, would like to but there too much stimuli (Aspergers), S&S is so wonderfully minimalistic. As another poster wrote, it may have ruined all other strength programs for me. Which probably is an exaggeration, since ROP is also minimalistic, even if not as tight as S&S. But overtime I look at other strength programs, my mind reels at what seems very complicated.

Last edited:
Saturday the 23rd of December
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 32kg
5x1 TGU 32kg

Note: Yesterday went down the drain, social overstimulation when I was allready running low on energy, so no practise. Todays practise was ok, nothing fancy or interesting to report. Form could be better (of course) but I am starting to believe that I can make the Simple Goal sooner rather than later, at least on a good day. My mind is playing tricks on me, it wants to hit Simple and then incorporate OAOLPU prep, pistols and pull ups.

Tuesday the 26th of December
OA Plank 2x30 sec left+right
1 hand swing 10x10 32kg
TGU 5x1 32kg

Note: I was tired from social interaction and traveling from my parents to home yesterday, so skipped practise, did some presses to pass the time while waiting for food. Today was a really good practise, probably the best yet for swings with the 32kg, backswing was better than it had been the last couple of times (no dip, just straight to the groin and then hinge), some even felt explosive, which I was pleasantly surprised by (I was beginning to worry, how to get the swings to graduate to explosive). Recovery was hard, but perhaps because I could except more power. I took my time between swings 1-1,5 min of pause between sides. TGU was hard but solid. Did the first 3 sets (left+right) without break, then a 2 min break and then the last 2 sets continuously. I could feel I was pushing myself a bit, because of the swings and no breaks until after the 3rd set in TGU. And will probably have to easy off a bit tomorrow. But not bad, progress is sweet. Swings and TGU took 29 min.

Friday the 29th of december
TGU 16 kg 1x1
OA/OAOL Plank 2x30 sec
2 hand swing 10x10 32kg
TGU 24kg 1-2-3

Note: Tuesday evening I got a back spasm, it builded gradually. Tried to do some gentle stretching, wasn't happening. Crawled slowly into bed, literally. Wednesday it was a little better, or had just adjusted to it a bit, forced myself out on an easy walk, and spent the rest of the day in bed. Thursday better again, could do some stretching and more brisk walking. Today, still hurts getting shoes and socks on, but much more mobile, tried an easy practise, 2 hand swings felt good, TGU was ok. Some more stretching tonight and perhaps the lacrosse ball. It has moved from low back right side, to upper right buttocks/hip. I think the spasm is unconnected to practise, I first noticed it many hour later after dinner sitting in a chair. So this is how middle age feels like...

Welcome to being old......well older. Do you have a foam roller? I was getting a stiff back the last few days, and a couple sessions on the roller really worked everything out for me, along with adequate stretching.

No foam roller, not fan, I prefer my lacrosse ball. It's getting much better already, still hurts, but not enough to impede practise and daily life, time and movement should take care of it.

Saturday the 30th of December
2 hand swing 11x10 32kg
TGU 24kg 1-2-3

Note: Nothing much to note today. Traveling the next 2 days, so might do bodyweight ladders, then back on S&S Tuesday, hopefully I will feel confident enough to do 1 hand swings, at least with the 24kg, but will see. Pain in hip/butt has plateau'ed, so can move reasonably well, but there are some sticking points, so now it's just time to get over it.

Sunday the 31st of december
2x10 breath/sec hollow body hold
2x30 sec OAOL Plank
Ladder 123
Assisted OAOLPU (non working arm out as in archer push up)
Pistol Squat
Pull Up (Tactical?)

Note: Taveling today and tomorrow, hence the bodyweight routine. Felt good, was surprised at how easy it felt, was hard, but not to the point of any kind of bad form. So I guess WTH effect? Will be starting weekly updates next week, and will probably do this bodyweight routine 2 times a week on the days I don't do S&S.

Week 1
Weight 69.1 kg

Monday

BW ladder 1x123 (assisted OAOLPU, Pistol Squat and Pull Up)
1x30 min. zazen

Tuesday
S&S 32kg: 100 1 hand swing + 10 TGU
2x30 min. zazen

Wednesday
S&S 32kg: 100 2 hand swing + 10 TGU
2x30 min zazen

Friday
BW ladder 1x123 (assisted OAOLPU, Pistol Squat and Pull Up)

Note: Not an impressive first week of the year. But as mentioned elsewhere, I am renovating my old apartment with my dad (finished sunday), with full time job, and I have to travel to another Island to sleep, because of paint fumes and having my bed packed away. Not an excuse, but I prioritized passive restoration. Did my first round of no breaks TGU wednesday, so that was progress. I prefer 2 hand swings with the 32kg on days, where there is a bit of fatigue (mentally or physically), it does wonders for my back. 32kg 1 hand swing are still a challenge, but there are sets and reps that seem decent enough. The bodyweight program is great for when no access to bells, but of course sometimes life gets in the way. I don't feel bad, that I have only practiced twice this week, but I do think that it was wrong not to do a short zazen friday-sunday. Must be more flexible, and better to tell people, that I know need 15 min of silence.
Don't think, that this week will be much different, done renovating, but have lots of logistics to attend to with moving apartment. If possible will do the BW ladders, but no bells this week.

Last edited:
Week 2
Weight 68.5 kg

Monday

BW ladder 2x123 (assisted OAOLPU + Pistol Squat)
2x30 min. zazen

Tuesday
BW ladder 1x123 (elevated OAOLPU + Pistol Squat)
2x30 min. zazen

Wednesday
BW ladder 1x123 (elevated OAOLPU + Pistol Squat + Pull Up)
2x30 min zazen

Thursday
day off (fatigued)
2x30 min zazen

Friday
day off (moved to new apartment)
1x30 min zazen

Saturday
day off (setting up new apartment)

Sunday
S&S 32kg: 100 2 hand swing + 10 TGU
2x30 min zazen

Note: Done with the renovation of old apartment (steel need to clean it), all my stuff has been moved and set up in the new apartment, just minor things that needs to be done. Hopefully I can now have a couple of regular practise weeks.
Switched from assisted to elevated OAOLPU, feels harder than the assisted ones. Was really nice, to be back on the KB's today, did two hand swings and felt good. Will do some one hands tomorrow I think, and build back up to full one hand. TGU was heavy but not hard, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Week 3
Weight 68.5 kg

Monday

Day Off
2x30 min. zazen

Tuesday
BW ladder 5x(1,2) (elevated OAOLPU 50 cm + Pistol Squat)
2x30 min. zazen

Wednesday
S&S 32kg
10x10 swing (2h, 2h, 2h, 2h, L, R, 2h, 2h, 2h, 2h)
5x1 TGU
2x30 min zazen

Thursday
GTG 6x1 elevated OAOLPU 40 cm
2x30 min zazen

Friday
GTG 4x2 elevated OAOLPU 40 cm
4x30 min zazen

Saturday
GTG 1x5 elevated OAOLPU 40 cm
1x30 min zazen

Sunday
S&S 32kg
10x10 swing (2h, 2h, L, R, 2h, 2h, L, R, 2h, 2h)
TGU 5x1
4x30 min zazen

Note: A messy week. Had to put old apartment in order after work and trying to adjust to the new apartment. Back spasm acted up again. So lots of excuses.
Found a new object to do elevated OAOLPU's on, which is 10 cm lower than the last. Played around with it a bit, and for some reason, I felt that 5 reps one arm was doable, and it was, so a bit of progress there. Funny how strength sometimes jumps sporadic. I was not satisfied with my one arm swings today. Couldn't find the rhythm or the move. But slowly getting used to doing my practise here in the new apartment. So I guess I am still in a transition phase, looking forward to when practicing S&S is just business as usual. Slowly working up to all out 1 hand swings. My plan is S&S 3-5 times a week and BW 2-4 times on the days that I am not doing S&S:
Monday: S&S
Tuesday: S&S
Wednesday: NW
Thursday: NW
Friday: S&S
Saturday: S&S/NW
Sunday: S&S/NW

As stated before, I have 3 physical/mental goals this year:
1) Own S&S Simple, by that I mean: reach Simple Goal and master the 32kg in one hand swings and TGU. No other KB moves this year.
2) Be able to do 1x5 OAOLPU on the floor each arm.
3) Reach 2x55 min zazen (adding 5 min to each side every 2 months)

WEEK 5

Monday

day off

Tuesday
3x3 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
day off

Thursday
day off

Friday
3 x (OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation)

Saturday
day off

Sunday
5x1 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: Week 4 was a mess. I think that it was caused moving to a new apartment. I do not deal well with change (this is probably due to my diagnosed autism), so I panic and my mind starts a frantic twisting and turning. Last week was marginally better, and I stumbled upon Karen Smiths: A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst, which I have been following this last week. I think, that it is a very good fit for me under these circumstances, low frequency and time use, and just one move, which is probably all I can manage at the moment. I hope I can stay the course for the whole 6 weeks. S&S will have to wait until there is more mental capacity. Don't mind at the moment, since I prefer to focus on the bodyweight skill necessary to pass the SFB in December, if I can get the money for it.

Last edited:
Week 6

Monday

day off

Tuesday
Medium: 3x3 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
day off

Thursday
day off

Friday
Light: 3 x (OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation)

Saturday
day off

Sunday
Heavy: 5x1 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: Not much to add, stuck to the program, Heavy day felt more controlled than last. Next week I have to add 1 set1 or 1 rep to each day. Think that it will be sets.
My max OAOLPU was 20 cm elevation before program.

Last edited:
Week 7

Monday

1x(1,1,1,1,1) TPU + PS

Tuesday
Medium: 3x4 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
1x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Thursday
day off

Friday
Light: 4x5 OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation

Saturday
1x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Sunday
Heavy: 5x2 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: End of 3rd week on the program. Added Tactical Pull Up and Pistols Squats on some off days. Had to add sets/reps this week, Light and Heavy was the hardest. Heavy day was really hard the first set, but technique improved in the subsequent sets, and ended up being a really good session. Still think, that the program is a good fit for me at the moment, curious to see if I can achieve a 10 cm or even a 0 cm OAOLPU by the end of the 6 weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom