all posts post new thread

Somanaut

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Week 8

Monday

2x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Tuesday
Medium: 4x4 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
2x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Thursday
day off

Friday
Light: 4x5 OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation

Saturday
2x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Sunday
Heavy: 5x2 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: Pistol Squat (PS) feels a lot easier than Tactical Pull Up (TPU). OAOLPU went well this week, Hard day was really hard though, so next week where I have to add a rep should be quite challenging, hence I will just stay on the 2x(1,2,3) for TPU and PS, and see how it feels on the week after that, and maybe add a 3rd ladder of (1,2,3). Might need to add GTG of the OAOLPU, since I feel very far from actually progressing in the 1RM max elevation. Before this program it was 20 cm, and I would be surprised, if I have progressed to the 10 cm.

Last edited:
Week 9

Monday

3x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Tuesday
Medium: 5x5 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
day off

Thursday
day off

Friday
Light: 5x5 OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation

Saturday
5x1 TPU + PS

Sunday
Heavy: 5x3 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: Light and Medium was the hardest. I suspect, although no one seems to agree with me, that it's because I am able to recruit more muscle, and thus need longer breaks after a set than I used to. And since the reps and sets have climbed to 5x5 Light and Medium, that is a hard session. Also took longer breaks on Heavy day, but it felt better than last week. Optimistic about week 6 on the program, and about testing the week after.

Week 10

Monday

3x(1,2,3) TPU + PS

Tuesday
Medium: 5x5 OAOLPU 40 cm elevation

Wednesday
5x20 Regular Push Ups

Thursday
day off

Friday
Light: 5x5 OAOL Plank 15 sec + 5 OAOLPU 50 cm elevation

Saturday
day off

Sunday
Heavy: 5x3 OAOLPU 30 cm elevation

Note: Last week of the 6 week program. Went well, the 100 regular push was fun, sore next day. Test day tuesday next week, going for 0 elevation OAOLPU.

SUCCES!

Tried 10 cm elevation, and was hard but I thought I could do the same just on the floor. Was brutal, but managed one with left arm and bad form, but no bounce. Failed with right arm:-(

Now What?

Week 11

Monday:
Off

Tuesday: Test OAOLPU, achieved 1 rep left arm, bad form, but full ROM

Wednesday: 10x10 swings & 10x1 TGU 24 kg

Thursday: Off

Friday: 10x10 swings & 10x1 TGU 24 kg

Saturday: 24kg 10x10 swings & 10x1 TGU (no. 3: 32kg)

Sunday: 24kg 10x10 swings & 10x1 TGU (no. 3 and 5: 32kg)

Note: Apparently the tax ministry disagree with how much taxes I should have paid last year, so I have to pay some extra. Enough to exclude me for attempting the SFB this year. Which is both good and bad. Bad in that I was hoping to attend the SFB i Venice, and have been working on my OAOLPU to that effect. Good that I can now return to S&S, which I have been missing since I moved to a new apartment this year.
So the plan is to do S&S for 4+ days a week. I am unsure, if I should stick with "just" the swings and TGU's of the program, or add some OAOLPU work. I feel, that it would be a shame to disregard it completely, so might do a few sets of easy before each S&S practise, and perhaps swell on off days. But will have to play around to see how it feels.

@somanaut: on your set up get a bit of a pull with your whole body and pulled back shoulders.

on your left you loose some shoulder packing, it comes forward a bit. If you compare it to your right side, you notice, that on the float the handle points more downward, it is a sign for me, that you actively pull some on the bell, which is good, more lat engagement and shoulder packing.

try to get more tension into the plank, making tsss instead of counting, maybe coming up with a kind of uppercut with your free arm. On some reps you do it, on some you don't.

Apart from minor corrections, solid swinging.

@somanaut: on your set up get a bit of a pull with your whole body and pulled back shoulders.

on your left you loose some shoulder packing, it comes forward a bit. If you compare it to your right side, you notice, that on the float the handle points more downward, it is a sign for me, that you actively pull some on the bell, which is good, more lat engagement and shoulder packing.

try to get more tension into the plank, making tsss instead of counting, maybe coming up with a kind of uppercut with your free arm. On some reps you do it, on some you don't.

Apart from minor corrections, solid swinging.
Thanks for the input Harald. Will keep your points in my for the next practise.

Good swings!

I think you'll get the tension, power, and smoothness if you focus on projecting power forward. Right now the kettlebell goes "up" -- see if you can make it go "out" where it's pulling on your hand in a forward direction at the top of the swing.

I agree with Harald, "Apart from minor corrections, solid swinging."

Good swings!

I think you'll get the tension, power, and smoothness if you focus on projecting power forward. Right now the kettlebell goes "up" -- see if you can make it go "out" where it's pulling on your hand in a forward direction at the top of the swing.

I agree with Harald, "Apart from minor corrections, solid swinging."
Thanks Anna. I haven't been able to project the power forward with the 32kg, as I can do with the 24kg, don't feel rooted enough yet, afraid that I will pulled off my feet. Will work on it.

The trick is to plank hard and let your body lean back from your ankles, like this: (screen capture is from 2:00 in this video)

upload_2018-5-28_7-11-13.png

That way you can really let loose and maximize the forward power projection -- and counterbalance with your planked body, pushing back with the feet as necessary.

The trick is to plank hard and let your body lean back from your ankles, like this: (screen capture is from 2:00 in this video)

View attachment 5660

That way you can really let loose and maximize the forward power projection -- and counterbalance with your planked body, pushing back with the feet as necessary.

@somanaut
I just happened to notice this and was going to make the same comment as Anna. At this weight, the big adjustments will be counterbalancing and timing.

You have to keep the center of mass of you + KB over your base of support throughout the swing. With a heavier bell, if you stand up straight and just drop the bell straight down, the overall center of mass will be way out in front. This also tends to make the force of the drop hit all at once at the bottom, putting more stress on the grip, back and shoulder. Counterbalancing helps smooth out the force of the drop.

One cue I use in my own practice for counterbalancing is "playing tug o'war with with the bell." Another thing I often focus on is keeping my feet rooted and my weight evenly balanced over my feet throughout the swing. When I focus on keeping my weight evenly balanced, that seems to cue the rest of my body to do what it needs to to counterbalance the KB.

The other issue is timing (although this is more pronounced on your left hand) . On the down swing your hips finish going back way before your shoulders finish dropping. In other words, you continue to fold forward after your hips have already finished going back. Then the up swing begins with the torso unfolding before you drive your hips through. Your shoulders are behind your hips on the down swing and ahead of your hips on the up swing. This means you aren't loading your hips on the down swings as much as you could, and not getting the full power of your hips on the up swing.

You want your shoulders and hips to finish the hinge together, and drive out of the hole with the hips and shoulders together. The KB deadlift can help pattern this timing.

Hope this helps.

I can only focus on so many things at a time. And since @Harald Motz was the first to reply, I chose to focus on tension in the plank and the hiss instead of counting aloud. Having to count silently actually occupies a lot of mental space. So hissing and counting silently will take some time to get used to. But the change had a really interesting effect on abdominal pressure, I felt more stable around the waist. Will try to dial this in over the next sessions, then move on to hinge timing, shoulder packing etc. No recording of left side today, tried another angle for left side and didn't work properly.

Update
Swings: My focus is 1) offhand in guard position and 2) making “tss” sound while counting internally. The swings feel more solid now, but my counting and breathing goes awry at times. When the two mentioned points feel good, I try and focus on anti rotation. All in all the quality of the swings are feel better. Will post a video in a week or so for feedback.
TGU: They are ahead of swings, Can hit beloe 8.30 min. whenever I feel like it...so I have started to play with ladders. Goal is 1, 2, 3. Right now I am at 1, 2, 2, 1.
Press: After I reach Simple goal, and can meet the benchmark on any day, I will do a cycle op ROP. Tested my military press yesterday (I know that ROP is C+P) with the 16kg, 10 left and 11 right. Will test with the 24kg next week. Priliminary date for ROP start is end of september, depending in Simple Goal of course.

Met Simple Goal/Standard tuesday the 19th of june 2018: 10x10 one hand swings with the 32kg (10 swings every 30 sec), 1 min break after last set of swings, and the TGU with 32kg 10x1 (or as Pavel T. likes to write it 5x1) under 10 min after the 1 min break (actually did 12x1, because I thought, that I had forgot a set). Was hard, and form could have been better. Which brings me to my new goal, owning the 32kg. For me it's very hard to evaluate wether or not I own something, I can go thorugh my internal list of technique points. But the 32kg doesn't feel like MINE. So I have set out to amend that. I have opened up a new training log, that describes the plan:
https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/100-x-s-s.12171/
But I will briefly describe it here:
100 training sessions of S&S, 3-6 times a week. There are 3(4) possible ways a session can be, namely:
A) 10x10 one hand swings, 1 set each minute on the minute, 2-3 min break then TGU at comfortable pace according to how solid it feels that day, all done with the 32kg
B) 10x10 one hand swings, 1 set every 30 sec, 1 min break, 10x1 TGU under 10 min, all done with the 32kg.
C) As many continous one hand swings as possible (starting with the 24kg, once I reach 1oo non stop swings I will switch to the 32kg and begin over), 2-3 min break then 10x1 TGU with the 32kg.
D) 10x20 shadow swings with the 24kg, 2-3 min break, then 10x1 TGU done slow or/and with a pause with the 24kg. This will only be used as a possible unload/easy day if life demands it.

The program will be as follows:
A-A-A-A-B-A-A-A-A-C

Thoughts?

I am unsure as to where I want to go after the 100 Simple Sessions, if I do end up owning the 32kg, perhaps go for the 40kg? On the other hand, my overhead press is pathetic, so perhaps I should work up to 3-4RM military press with the 24kg and then do Soju and Tuba Press. And then there is my old friend the OAOLPU...3 paths, which one to walk...

Last edited:
You could always intersperse S&S and Soju & Tuba. That is what I am currently doing, 3 days of each, challenging but doable. The S&T guidance says:

Take a kettlebell one size lighter (4kg) than your 1RM, and do the following rep scheme for your next eighteen workouts (if you’re in that area where one size lighter than your 1RM is “too light,” then use your 2RM/3RM instead).

I am running through this a second time, and I have seen real progress, to the point where I used the 32 kg for 4 sets of 2 on each side. Since it is, or was, my 1RM, I consider that proof that it worked. I dropped back down to the 28 kg for the next session, but I may still incorporate a set or 2 with the 32 kg moving forward. Nothing feels quite like cleaning & pressing that kettlebell.

Last edited:
You could always intersperse S&S and Soju & Tuba. That is what I am currently doing, 3 days of each, challenging but doable. The S&T guidance says:

I am running through this a second time, and I have seen real progress, to the point where I used the 32 kg for 4 sets of 2 on each side. Since it is, or was, my 1RM, I consider that proof that it worked. I dropped back down to the 24 kg for the next session, but I may still incorporate a set or 2 with the 32 kg moving forward. Nothing feels quite like cleaning & pressing that kettlebell.
I have considered, and have noticed how it has worked for you. However I like the idea of actually trying to OWN Simple, and see how that feels. Also the 24kg doesn’t even go up all the time, so not only is it 1RM, it a true max or Personal Best. So I think S&J is too challenging at the moment, will perhaps try some GTG with a 16kg.

I completely understand your thought process. I am working towards that end as well. I want to be able to own the 32 kg, and meet the Simple standard with it as well. However, this program, and the "How to Get Better at Everything By Training Multiple Get-Ups" programs have been a boost to my pursuit, at least to me.

I have considered, and have noticed how it has worked for you. However I like the idea of actually trying to OWN Simple, and see how that feels. Also the 24kg doesn’t even go up all the time, so not only is it 1RM, it a true max or Personal Best. So I think S&J is too challenging at the moment, will perhaps try some GTG with a 16kg.

I completely understand your thought process. I am working towards that end as well. I want to be able to own the 32 kg, and meet the Simple standard with it as well. However, this program, and the "How to Get Better at Everything By Training Multiple Get-Ups" programs have been a boost to my pursuit, at least to me.
But that program would both require more bells than I have (16,24,32) and it seems like too much of a departure from the S&S program. So the way I see it, I have only 3 options (or a mix of the three):
1) GTG with 16kg (max is 10 strong arm). Problem is I am not sure, that I can get enough sets in during a day. I estimate that max would be 4 sets of 5-7 reps. And that seems to low.
2) get some reps and sets in before S&S practice. This could be half kneeling press with the 16 kg 5-7 reps and/or some push press with the 24kg.
3) lastly: a separate practice 1-2 times a week dedicated 2 pressing. perhaps ladders of 5-7-10, or similar.
Thoughts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom