all posts post new thread

Old Forum Some fun with HR Monitor: S&S and Shock And Awe

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Corrales

Level 3 Valued Member
Got my battery replaced in my heart rate monitor a couple months or so back.  It's a basic Polar model.  I don't usually use it, but did for a few workouts in the past couple months.  Was wondering about the intensity of some of the sessions.  I used it a bunch for VWC a couple years ago.

I'd be interested to see others results too if people use one.

Shock And Awe Protocol Session #11
[Scott Iardella' Double KB Complex Program]
--------------------
27:51min
Double 20kg's for all
366 Cal 30% Fat
Heart Rate
Max 177/ 103%
Avg 144/ 84%
Time in zone 8:16min

Simple & Sinister #1
--------------------
Combined all phases, Warmup, Swing, TGU:
32kg all Swings, TGU's
27:20min Cal 364. 25% fat
HR-  Max 220/ 128%  Avg 157/ 91%
[Don't believe 220 max HR..think it's an anomaly]

Simple & Sinister #2
--------------------
Warmup:
32kg Goblet Sq, 16kg Halos
9:03min Cal 77. 55% fat
HR-  Max 137/ 80%  Avg 115/ 67%

1H Swings:
32kg, 100 reps
7:42min Cal 97. 30% fat
HR-  Max 159/ 92%  Avg 142/ 83%

TGU:
32kg 9 reps, 40kg 1 rep, right hand
9:09min Cal 110. 35% fat
HR-  Max 156/ 91%  Avg 139/ 81%

I find out t remarkable that this post gathered exactly zero interest.

Michael,

Two questions:

- do you have a barbell?

- can you barbell back squat safely?

If so, please repeat this with "as many" sets of 5 as you can do in ten minutes. Or another way to structure it would be however long it takes to do 5 heavy sets of 5. These should be close to your 5RM.

Thanks for bumping it up, Bill---I hadn't seen the thread.

Interesting, Michael.  I wonder how you got the 227 bpm reading?  When I was wearing mine during S&S, I was surprised that TGU's kept my heart rate as high as swings did.  That was the first time I really thought about how long they keep us under tension.

James-  I'm not totally sure how the Polar Heart Rate Monitor Algorithms work.  I think the 220 BPM was an anomaly.  In a bunch of sessions [more than 30 or 40 I've done], the Max HR spikes high like that one or two times.  I write it off as an anomaly or outlier and just discard it.

Bill-  Was thinking through your question about why not much interest in the OP.  I'm somewhat of a data fanatic and like to keep a training log and compare stuff like Average and Max HR between sessions.  I just guessed that a lot of folks are not into that type of thing.  And, give me a few days to do the barbell squat w/o. But I'm looking forward to it...  I need to do some light squat work before I push it hard so I don't get insanely sore and lose some training time since I don't do heavy squats at the current time as I am trying to prep for my KB recert coming up in a couple months.

Hi Michael,

inspired by your post I remembered that I possess a polar heart rate monitor (F11 almost 10years old), which I have not been using for a very long time.

With the device I had sometimes the same problem in the past: heart rate up to 220 even at rest, or 38 while exercising, or no communication at all.

I did some searching on the web and there was a suggestion to make the belt and contacts really wet, and to place the transmitter two to three inches left or right from the middle line (breast bone). I did so and replaced all batteries. There was no nonsense in my monitoring for the last five sessions. I hope it will stay so.

My results regarding simple (32kg: swing 10r x 10s 5min – 1min rest – get up 1r x 10s 10min) so far:

28.01.15 (184 session of s&s): warm up  + simple (25min) 161max 125avg

29.01.15 (185): simple (16min) 160max 137avg

30.01.15 (186): simple (16min) 163max 138avg

31.01.15 (187): simple (16min) 157max 130avg

01.02.15 (188): simple (16min) 161max 134avg

-The warm up gets me to 120bpm-130bpm

-The 9th/10th set of swings to 155bpm-165bpm

-The get up is between 120bpm to 140bpm

My work/rest ratio in the swing is 15sec.on/16sec.off taking three to five deep abdominal breaths.

I plan to use the monitor more frequently (when it works flawless) in my training cause it is a great tool in endurance work.

Greetings from Westwood (Westerwald).

Dave Whitley had an interesting YouTube video using a heart rate monitor.  You can search it on YouTube under Iron Tamer Heart Rate Monitor and Kettlebell  Swings.  It was posted 7/13/2011.

Harald-  Good stuff...interesting.  Awesome that you have more than 185 S&S sessions under your belt!  That's getting very close to a year if you do 4 sessions per week.

Bill- Still planning to post results from Barbell Back Squat.  Been way too busy traveling for business, etc.  But will get to it!

Want to post some results too from training for 100rep/ 5min snatch test.

I am at a point where i can say, it is my go to program.

Somewhere Pavel said, that when you are simple, the magic really begins. The focus on technique and breathing has a long way, and gives me many things in return. Calmness, movement quality, joint lubrication, hypertrophy, endurance... to name a few.

Hey Bill- Sorry for the delay. Finally got it done today. Been distracted with other programs, things like training for Murph Challenge. I've recently started a cycle with Jefferson DL, Back Squats, DB Presses for ~5 sets of 5 trying to build some power. I've also been trying to work "3rd way cardio" ala Marty Gallagher to try to hack off some fat I've accumulated.

Since I had started the barbell stuff, the timing seemed great to go for this back squat test.

Anyway, this is what I did:

Body weight = 197lbs
Program:
Back Squat weight = 185lbs (was a guess and turned out to be a good weight)
AMSAP (As many sets as possible) 5 reps, 10min. No belt, each rep below parallel.

Results:
8 sets, 5 reps, 185lbs = 40 reps total
~10min plus a little

HR Monitor Says:
10:47min Cal 150. 20% fat
HR- Max 170/ 99% Avg 150/ 88%
"In Zone" = 6:25min

For warmup, I did 15min of jumping rope, Indian Club drills, Crawls and worked up a decent sweat. Then a back squat set of 5 reps, 45lbs bar and 5 reps, 135lbs then let the 10min rip!!

ps- bonus session. back on VWC 16kg snatches 15:15 sec style for some cardio in between barbell stuff. My last work session, yesterday:

16kg, 7 reps per set, 32 sets = 224 reps total
16:33min Cal 222. 45% fat
HR- Max 164/ 96% Avg 146/ 85%
In Zone = 9:40min

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom