all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Some Girevoy Sport Info

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I have only read up a little on what I could find regarding GS. Few questions I still have:
  1. From an outcome of training perspective, what physical properties do the different events target?
    • Do most participate in multiple events or specialize in one?
  2. Where are these competitions held, how would I find a local one?
  3. Are GS training and SF training mutually exclusive or what is the estimated contribution from one to the other?
  4. Are any pitfalls, injuries, or barriers common; can GS be a lifelong pursuit?

I have to admit that my interest in GS has grown recently. I am scared to look into it further because I enjoy hardstyle so much and I don't want to switch.

My GS experience might be outdated at this point but here goes...

1. GS is all about muscular endurance, efficiency, aerobic fitness, with a bit of anaerobic endurance thrown in. 10 minutes without putting the bell(s) down is a long time. People make the mistake of training for GS like a "weightlifter". To me, it's more like an endurance sport...especially when you factor in pacing a ten minute set.

1a. IIRC, in Russia most of the year was spent training "the biathlon"; that is, the one hand snatch and the 2 hand jerk. The 2 hand long cycle clean and jerk was trained in the "off-season" (whatever that is....). Some people did specialize and long cycle events were (still are?) common.

2. GS splintered into many "federations". Your best bet is to google and find meet a meet nearest to you.

3. Only you can say if GS and SF are mutually exclusive for you. Make your own determination.

4. Injuries in GS are of the overuse variety....tendonitis, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom