all posts post new thread

Kettlebell some hr graphs and blood donation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Now that I've figured out how to do this with @Anna C and @Steve Freides help I'd thought I'd try it out.....
I wanted to show some hr graphs with the effects of blood donation and recovery. A thread a while back was the ideal place but as I was being a numptie and didn't know what to do thought I'd show them now if anyone is interested. Below is a graph from my first run in with A&A snatches. It's a 24 bell, 14 repeats of 5 back on February 25th. My maf is 126 and was conservative with my approach as I previously tweaked a shoulder and wanted to get used to the thing.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 22.04.08.png
The following day I donated blood. This the graph from the day after donation. Knowing my recovery would perhaps be an issue I kept an eye on things. Cut the planned 18 repeats to 12:
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 22.10.11.png
A bit of a difference, a shambles. 2 days later 16 repeats with increased recovery time and erratic seismography to match (although this didn't match perceived effort, I felt as if it was a 'normal' session):

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 22.13.59.png
3 days after that, 6 days after blood donation and a week after a 'normal' session I was back to some kind of normal again with 16 repeats with regular Motz-like peaks and troughs. Can't show it as it only allows 3 uploads, so you are spared. Will gladly show it and my final graphs after completion of 24 repeats in another thrilling episode if anyone would want to, as a rival to Netflix, bit of a cliffhanger I know.
Thought it interesting that it shows how decreased blood volume radically alters (my) recovery ability and pushed me into anaerobic glycolysis far sooner and for longer than in a full bloodied state. So there you go.....

@ali, in the third graph, it starts normal, and after the 6th set it gets seismographic. Were you doing the same, just snatches, throughout the complete workout? Or did you do something different?

@Oscar....yes the same, snatches. 2 weeks later this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 14.06.36.png
that's 20 repeats.....dunno if that is typical but it is fairly typical for me.

@ali I'm more inclined to suspect you had a poor connection on your monitor on those two erratic ones.

@Anna C, yes, a possibility of course. My previous blood donations I can't really compare as I only had a watch but I did log them and recovery was a lot longer with higher peaks. Also have had strap failure, just didn't work. My current system cuts out when out of range, sprinting that is. So yeah, could be. Could monitor failure or cardiac failure or both but haven't had such shambles before or since. I'll record my next donation! That'll stop you killjoys ruining a good honest heart attack;)

@ali, as I learn about these gadgets, I want to ask: is yours the Polar H10 I'm using or something else/older? Mine stores the entire session on the HRM itself (that being the little gadget that snaps into the strap) and then lets me save it to my phone/account later, so there is no "out of range" issue. If there's a watch involved, is that where the data is getting stored, but the sensor is still on the strap in your case?

Thanks.

-S-

I have an older H7 with Bluetooth straight to the phone app. No storage or memory. I used an older one before which hooked up to the polar watch. The watch works with the H7 too but is at the back of a drawer somewhere! It does go out of range but I'm not bothered by it, really and just log the info....I don't pay much notice to it during a session and just use it to note rest periods. Could do with finding the watch!

Yes, well most of the time. Perfectly possible to have high hr without increased breathing.....stress, anxiety, stimulants, drugs and exercise at times - an altered physiological state for many reasons. Agree in general S&S and similar, or steady state, should be comparable to perceived effort but my physiology was altered with a decreased blood volume.....my perceived effort more or less the same but underlying this was greater cardiac output. No big deal (for me at the time)....but that would or could be for some. And it the very reason athletes seeking high performance are advised not to donate during race season.....decreased performance is predicted for a week but can for some be 5 or 6 weeks.

This from Your Body on the Blood Drive

In theory, at anything up to moderately vigorous exercise there will be no difference in perceived exercise capacity. The heart will beat faster to compensate for less oxygen-carrying capacity per heart beat. However, the high end will be compromised. Amateur cyclists were tested before and after a blood donation. At seven days, donated hemoglobin was down 6.7 percent and maximum exercise as measured in watts output was down 7.1 percent. Unfortunately, no testing was conducted beyond seven days.

Thus, on a practical note, anyone planning to compete in a long-distance endurance event should not schedule a blood donation during the final eight weeks leading up to the event. Training can resume within a few days after the donation with the understanding that training performance will likely be compromised for weeks.

.....I don't think my hr was faulty just my body! And the hr shows it. Tickety-boo a week later though.....

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom