all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Some questions on stretching and flexibility

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Markus, I'm very glad some of my advice has helped you become more flexible and your back feel better.

Regarding the pain you find when stretching, consider if you asked the same thing about lifting, e.g., that you feel pain when performing a certain lift. My advice in either case would be the same - first, consider seeing a doctor to determine if the pain's cause is something other than exercise. Second, just as it's possible for your technique or lack of proper technique to result in a painful and unsuccessful lift, so the same is true with stretching. I have no doubt that I could cause myself pain when working on a split if I didn't do it as instructed.

Just as you can get hurt pulling a deadlift or doing a swing that's too heavy, so you can feel pain when stretching if you're trying to stretch more than you're ready to do, and it's impossible to say without seeing if you're ready for the depth of split you're attempting or not, but it sounds like not. We know, e.g., that even a light swing, without proper bracing, can make your lower back sore; a split's no different except that the technical points aren't the same.

Wish I could tell you more but that's the best I can do.

-S-

Thank you very much! I'll see a doctor on that question and report afterwards :)

By the way, do you know if there will be more flexible steel workshops in countries near Germany (or best in Germany) in the future? I don't think that a skype session with an instructor can really help to see if the technique is correct, or do you think that could be a good idea?

Thank you again!!

@Markus check the flexible steel web site. If memory serves, there will be a workshop in Novemeber in Poland.

Yes, Skype sessions can help. I have worked with several people this way and I'm sure others have, too.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom