all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Something Different, Sleeping on the Floor

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
So it has been almost a year now since I sold all of my furniture, including my bed, and started sleeping on the floor. It started as I was preparing to retire from the Navy and was facing a cross country move. I started selling off lots of stuff to downsize and got a little carried away. All I kept for furniture was a foam pad to sleep on. Then one day I decided to try sleeping directly on the floor without the pad. But I tried an afternoon nap first. It was fine. Better than I expected. So I folded up the foam mattress and put it in the closet. I have not had a bed since then. No furniture either. What surprised me was how fast I adapted. Sleeping on the floor without a mattress feels like the most natural thing in the world. Now I can sleep literally anywhere. Camping? No problem.

I don't know if it is a result of sleeping on the floor but my back has never felt better. I have not woken up with a stiff back all year. Also, I get up and down off the floor dozens of times each day because I sit on the floor. You know that test about getting up off the floor with no hands (predicts mortality)? I can do it with no hands, while holding a plate of food and a cup.

Other advantages are that my bed is huge. The whole room. I can get up in the middle of the night without waking up my wife (yes, she is in on this oddball adventure). And I can sleep anywhere. The irony is that I have less furniture (and stuff in general) now that I am financially independent than when I was a broke, starving college student and I could not be happier.

No furniture but I do have a nice kettlebell though : )

I like it... and have often thought of doing the same. It's just a wee matter of convincing the boss...

I've read somewhere that you are supposed to sleep on your back, because it's the best for health.
I usually sleep on my side in a bed, but when I go camping there's only a thin mat (~1cm/less than half an inch) between me and the ground and I sleep on my back without any issues. This makes you second guessing beds...
Although (and since we are all adults I think I can talk about this) I would miss the bed for sex. On the floor can be an "adventure" from time to time, but regularly? No, thanks. It's good to have cushion for this.

If I got rid of all my stuff (something I've been trying to do) my bed would be last to go.

Glad it's worked for you but I don't think that's an adventure I'm willing to experience.

Hello,

I felt better when sleeping on the floor. My back and posture were better. Once again, it is simple but efficient. This was before...because I was single. Now, Madame is here and well...she wants a bed.

I am negotiating for a japanese bed .

Kind regards,

Pet'

Awesome. I also sit exclusively on the floor. My wife wont give up the bed but at least I got her to go with the firmest one we could buy. We still have couches but I do not use them. I do all my Reading,TV/Media stuff from either lying on the floor on my stomach or sitting on the floor.

Hello,

I do all my Reading,TV/Media stuff from either lying on the floor on my stomach
Wow good !

I can not do that during long time (30 minutes or so). Then, I feel I have to make a kind of "effort" to maintain my neck.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I find these experiments fascinating. Have any fellow desk jockeys (computer workers) done this? What's your workstation (or lack thereof) look like now?

Awesome. I also sit exclusively on the floor. My wife wont give up the bed but at least I got her to go with the firmest one we could buy. We still have couches but I do not use them. I do all my Reading,TV/Media stuff from either lying on the floor on my stomach or sitting on the floor.

The great thing about sitting on the floor is that your posture is better than sitting in furniture, and you tend to move around quite a bit. You can't maintain a static posture for 3 hours while sitting on the floor. I am sitting on the floor while stretching as I type this.

Hello,

Have any fellow desk jockeys (computer workers) done this? What's your workstation (or lack thereof) look like now?
My computer is on a simple table. Then I sit on a swiss ball that I blow up more or less in function both of the height and hardness I want. However, if I am very tired, I use a standard chair because the swiss ball requires balance and a kind of effort.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Sleeping on the floor is something I do, sporadically although not often. It's actually recommended by Seneca (stoic) as a way to remind yourself that you can survive with very little, a stoic practice that essentially has you live as a minimalist. The idea is that if/when you do come on hard times, you are mentally and psychologically prepared.

I will say that when my girlfriend and I had to camp for 2 nights, she had a lot of trouble sleeping on the ground where as I had no real issues.

Awesome, doing this has crossed my mind several times. Interesting to read this! I actually sleep quite well on the floor, and have been finding more opportunities for floor sitting and reading into my daily routine.

Do you use a pillow and/or blanket?

I have tried (and failed) many times to reduce my reliance on a blanket. I thought it would toughen me up, make me more cold resistant, and help me be able to sleep anywhere should I not have a blanket. If I ever try to catch a nap somewhere or randomly crash on a friends couch or recliner, I can't sleep much if I don't have a blanket. I think part of it is psychological. I have done well several times rolling up a shirt for a pillow in a pinch.

I need a blanket also. Even if it's hot as hel, I need it even if just on my legs.

Hello,

@D-Rock
I use a pillow because I sleep left sided so it is better for the neck and spine.

Related to blanket I guess it depends on the room temperature. Optimal is supposed to be between 17 and 19. Then, the blanket deponds on several things: cold sensitivity, bare-chested, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom