all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Something's wonky in my upper back during swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SeanTastic

First Post
Hi. I'm Sean. I've been doing S&S for a few months now (kettlebell lifting for a year or so) and am ready to transition from 24k to 32k. I purchased the bell and once it finally arrived I ignored Pavel's wise words of starting slowly and tried to just jump right to it. By the 4th set on my left side my right upper back in the area of my shoulder blade was in moderate pain. I finished the workout, took a few days off and figured I was good to go. I tried to do swings with a 24k bell today and bam same thing only maybe a bit worse. This time from the first set. It seems to worsen at the bottom of the swing before going between my knees.

So now for my questions. Any rehab suggestions other than take some time off, mobility work and start slower next time?

Also I'm afraid my swings maybe aren't picture perfect and I'm stabilizing my left swing with my right upper back due to a mechanical error.

Thanks SF community. I look forward to your insight.

post a video of your swing if you can do them at all... get checked out by a doc.

Could be a trigger point but better to be checked by a doctor first.

Sean,

I'm not a doc, but pain like you describe is not a good sign. I would strongly advise that you stop and take some time off to make sure you heal.

Consider this: if you pull a muscle in your back, you will be sidelined for weeks if not months. That will be much worse for your training than taking a couple of weeks off now. (Sadly, I speak from experience. If you hurt your back, you will be amazed at how many daily activities will be affected. Believe me, a muscle sprain stinks big time and you should avoid it at all costs.)

Do some other exercise -- or, spend a few weeks focusing on the drills building up to the swings as listed in S&S. Those drills are not included so as to pad the book -- they are crucial to really ingraining proper form into your motions.

I'm sure someone else will suggest this, but it might be a good idea to look up a certified SFG instructor to watch your form as you work in the next bell size.

Also, what's the rush? Your body can only adapt so fast. Ease into the next bell size and take your time. You want to coax your body to adapt, not beat your body into the ground. And from the sound of it, you may even want to back up a bell size, tighten up your form, and and then ease into your current bell -- working carefully until your back pain is completely gone. There's no shame in reducing weight if it helps your form.

Think long term growth. Don't chase the numbers.

-Phil

Reactions: Lew
find a trigger point PT to assess and work the neck/shoulder girdle and teach you some home therapy you can do with a lacrosse ball- look up Kelly Starretts and Jill Millers videos on youtube - they have great trigger point remedies and maintenance ideas.

Thx for all the helps SFers. I went to the chiro and he doesn't seem to think it's anything serious. Prior to that and continuing I'm doing yoga tune up trigger point release and some Kstar stuff. Once I get a little healthier I'll post a vid for any form advice. Thx again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom