all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Soon To Try Timed Simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Red_and_Black

Level 6 Valued Member
I've been working towards Simple for a couple of months here in the UK, male, 49 years old, reasonable general condition and working off a long term background in Crossfit, barbell strength training, rucking, some climbing (trad and alpine until gave it up a few years ago), and running. All never very serious or at any high level.

I started using KBs exclusively in the middle of the summer last year when gyms shut and I managed to get a few KBs. Have slowly upgraded my collection and now I have 2 x 12kg, 2 x 16kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 24kg, and 28kg, 32kg, 36kg, and a 40kg, all Rogue brand.

Did a few sessions with a SF coach local to me (Megan Kelly who is just superb!) to get the movements, and have done a few other programs from here, then got the S&S book and planned two 6 week blocks with a week rest in the middle working towards Timed Simple. I started on 24kg across the board in the first block and then step loaded until I hit 28kg across the board in week 6. I do a two handed swing day every third day and step loaded 32-36kg the first block for that, and now doing the same 36-40kg this second block. I'm now in week 5 of the second block and am doing 5 sessions a week, step loading both swings and TGUs to the point where now I'm on:

Swings 10 x 10 EMOM L/R: 28/28, 32/32, 32/32, 32/32, 32/32.
TGUs 1 X 10 EMOM L/R: 28/28, 32/32, 32/32, 32/32, 32/32.

So next week I go to 32kg across the board for one hand swings. I didn't think I'd ever be able to manage 32kg TGUs, but they've been OK. After I've that next week I'll have a few rest days and the try for timed Simple. Wish me luck.

Thanks. Have been here a few months now, but I don't post very much, I have been reading and learning lots mostly, so thank you all for the mine of info that's here!

I thought when I started working towards Simple that the TGUs would be the sticking point, now I think the 10 swings every 30 seconds will be the heart and lungs killer! In the week after I finish this second 6 week block I plan to have 3 rest days first, then try Simple as 10 swings every 45 seconds followed by the EMOM TGUs, then rest a few days then try for the full timed version. Unless anyone thinks there's a better way!?

I'm keen to attend a SF course at some point as well, maybe even SF1 next year...

Last edited:
Good luck and well done for getting to were you are. I'm working on timeless simple, so it's good to read someone else pushing further ahead on the same program.
I follow Megan on IG, looking forward to seeing here go and get her world record back sometime.

First day of the last week of the 6 week program today.

Did 10 x 10 single hand swings EMOM at 32kg followed by 1 x 10 TGUs EMOM at 32kg.

Was OK, although think some of my swings weren't the best form. A few more sessions of that inc. 2 of double hand swings at 40kg this week, then trying for Timed next week. Ouch, those swings are going to be hard on my heart and lungs!

Hello :)

For most of us mortals, I think going from EMOM to Timed Simple took more than a week, if you have that much spare gas in the tank, good for you, but maybe solidify your gains before reducing rest ratios from 1:3 to 1:1 in a week?

Including 40kg swings is a great idea and should help a lot.

Hello :)

For most of us mortals, I think going from EMOM to Timed Simple took more than a week, if you have that much spare gas in the tank, good for you, but maybe solidify your gains before reducing rest ratios from 1:3 to 1:1 in a week?

Including 40kg swings is a great idea and should help a lot.

Yeah, you might be right. I will do another program after a week off (was looking at the Simple Strength for Difficult Times or maybe Dry Fighting Weight) and could mix in some Simple sessions during that, then try for the Timed Simple much later. I think I could probably do it, but it'll be hard.

Last edited:
Finished week 6 of the program mentioned above. Had 2 days rest then this morning did:

10 x 10 single hand swings every 45 seconds @32kg.
Probably slightly more than 1 minutes rest as had to move location.
1 x 10 TGUs EMOM @32kg.

Was hard but doable. It was the swings that were hardest, TGUs weren't too bad.
Plan is to have 3 days off now and the try for Timed Simple.

If it's really hard, or I fail, I'll add in 2 sessions of single hand swings to the next program (Simple Strength for Difficult Times which is 3 sessions a week) and slowly reduce the rest, and then try again in maybe 4-8 weeks time.

Last edited:
Unless anyone thinks there's a better way!?
I have recently passed Timed Simple. I got the revised book last year, a 32 kg bell in the summer and worked the step cycle progression from 24 kg last autumn.
My opinion is that the author knows better and that he has reissued the book having appraised information from those that have followed it. The recommended programme is two sessions using the talk test and one timed with S-.
This is what I followed and, admittedly anecdotally, it worked. Build the base, consolidate and adapt, then test later on. What's the hurry? ?

As above, finished my 6 week program (and the 6 week before with 1 rest week off between) and then had 2 rest days, then did the swings every 45 seconds followed by the TGUs, then had 3 rest days, then just did Timed Simple this morning,

I didn't cruise it, it was hard, but hard/doable, not hard/nearly killed me. Some of the form on a few in the last sets of swings and last 2 TGUs wasn't brilliant, but nonetheless, finished it! I probably should have worked for longer on it, but anyway...

Next week I'm starting 'Simple Strength for Difficult Times' with 2 days of 2 hand swings at 40kg added in, will start at 7 swings EMOM for 14 minutes and add 2 minutes a week until hit 7 EMOM for 30 minutes at the end of the 8 week program. Other exercises will be 2 x 20kg for racked squats, 2 x 16kg for shoulder press, and 12kg weighted pull-ups.

Last edited:
I think you are more than ready to achieve timed simple.
Its a mental exercise really...physically you have put in a lot of work. Good on you for having the discipline.
Now it's just accepting that you will do it.
I never thought I'd be able to do a tgu with a 48kg...then one day, on a lark actually I decided why not give it a go. Did it. What was holding me back was my perception of my ability.
Same with Timed Simple...accept you will do it, believe you can and you will...no problem.
I'd wish you luck, but luck has nothing to do with it. Your previous hard work and dedication will see you through.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom