all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sore Back from Shoveling Snow

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Heading out for the fifth day of big shoveling. The snow blower left behind a layer that now in warmer temps it’s consolidating to slush. Acres of slush. Basically shoveling water. Heavy water. Yuck.

KB swings FTW! Despite being generally tired and a bit stiff, the only real pain is my right side neck and shoulder. I think it came from shoveling a second story deck where I had to lift each load over the railing. Perhaps not getting a good sleeping position is also to blame. Oh well.

In general, I’m very pleased t how my GPP has paid off in preparing me for such “real world” activities. Gotta save a little energy today for DL and press, 5/3/1 style. I’ll let the shoveling count for my assistance and conditioning.

Switch hands, change how you toss it, shave the top off and get the rest on a second pass, reverse your lead hand and toss it like you're paddling a canoe, make sure you use good hinge form, fire your abs like crazy to support the lower back, move your lead hand right up to the shovel head before tossing.
Shovels with longer handles can be levered using the top of the thigh like a fulcrum.

Shaving off the top first is key, especially for wet spring snows.

I learned to be efficient at shoveling snow along my 600 ft driveway. I have a Subaru Outback/snow tires and it just plows through anything under 1.5 ft of snow (up to 2 ft if it's dry powdery snow). I only shovel if the accumulation is over 1.5 ft. Even then, I only sloppily shovel 10 ft long stretches, skip the next 10 ft then start shoveling the following 10 ft stretch and so on. I only shovel 3 ft wide where the car's belly would drag. Once done, the Subaru will plow the skipped stretches and gets a breather and gains momentum over the partially shoveled stretches.

Works like a charm. Oh, and I make sure I back into the garage when heavy snow is expected overnight. I haven't experienced snows higher than 2.5 ft yet since I came up with this system. A HUGE time, money and back saver.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom