all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Sore heels from 'screwing' feet into the ground?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jon A

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello there, I wonder if I could please ask for some advice?

I'm fairly new to kettlebell training and I'm (deliberately very slowly!) trying to learn the swing. I had a couple of sessions with a former SFG a while back to learn the basics of the technique (unfortunately it's not possible to go and see him again at the moment).

I've been doing various practice swing drills for a couple of weeks now (mainly with no weight), and yesterday started to get a small amount of pain in the inside of my heels (about a thumb's width down from the top of the heel bone - thankfully not on the main part of my achilles tendon or the bottom of my foot).

I've had a think, and I'm pretty sure the pain is from being over-enthusiastic with the cue (from Kelly Starrett's videos, etc.) to screw my feet into the ground. I have very flat feet, so I've probably been over-compensating for that.

My questions are: Is it usually possible to do this too hard, or does it mean I'm doing something wrong? Is there another rotational cue that doesn't put so much pressure on the feet? And finally - how far should you turn your feet out when swinging (I've noticed that turning them out more reduces the pressure on this part of my heel, but don't want to overdo that either).

I totally understand you can't see me and aren't necessarily medics, and I'll take all advice in that spirit. My dad is a doctor, and I check in with him periodically to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid, so please rest assured on that score.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

Jon

(Apologies if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it, but am new to this site).

Are you practicing barefoot or with shoes on? If barefoot, there will be a "break in" period for your feet to get used to being more exposed and active in your movement patterns. Mobilizing and strengthening the feet can take time so this pain may be related to that.

Are you practicing barefoot or with shoes on? If barefoot, there will be a "break in" period for your feet to get used to being more exposed and active in your movement patterns. Mobilizing and strengthening the feet can take time so this pain may be related to that.

thanks very much for your reply - I am training barefoot, so that's good to know!

I like the corkscrew tip for beginning students but it's not that big a deal, really. It helps root the feet, engage the lower leg muscles, and develop tension. But if you can feel all that without the outward turn, then that's fine too.

As for stance and toe turn-out, have a look at this article:

I like the corkscrew tip for beginning students but it's not that big a deal, really. It helps root the feet, engage the lower leg muscles, and develop tension. But if you can feel all that without the outward turn, then that's fine too.

As for stance and toe turn-out, have a look at this article:

that's great, thank you very much - and that article is ideal. thanks for your help!

Another thing :you don't need to screw your feet to the ground too hard :) just enough to feel tight that it will make your press for squat better

Hope that helps

P.s. you can always do Skype or zoom sessions nowadays

I've only ever done swings barefoot.
Personally I find I get into the stance I want, then after i've hinged, gripped the bell and tensed my lats, I grip the ground a bit with my toes. Not too hard though, as excessive tension will start to get in the way, rather than give more benefits

Another thing :you don't need to screw your feet to the ground too hard :) just enough to feel tight that it will make your press for squat better

Hope that helps

P.s. you can always do Skype or zoom sessions nowadays

thanks very much! I'll definitely bear that in mind.

and I'll have a look at online trainers - thanks. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that - I seem to spend an increasingly vast chunk of my life on zoom at the moment anyway, so it stands to reason :)

I've only ever done swings barefoot.
Personally I find I get into the stance I want, then after i've hinged, gripped the bell and tensed my lats, I grip the ground a bit with my toes. Not too hard though, as excessive tension will start to get in the way, rather than give more benefits

that's very helpful - thank you. I hadn't thought of gripping the ground *after* hinging - I'll give it a go

thanks very much! I'll definitely bear that in mind.

and I'll have a look at online trainers - thanks. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that - I seem to spend an increasingly vast chunk of my life on zoom at the moment anyway, so it stands to reason :)

I can actually accommodate 2 more people for my online coaching just in case you'd be interested :)

I can actually accommodate 2 more people for my online coaching just in case you'd be interested :)

thanks very much for the offer :) I'm not quite in a position to do that just now, but I'll certainly bear it in mind for the future.

Hello there, I wonder if I could please ask for some advice?

I'm fairly new to kettlebell training and I'm (deliberately very slowly!) trying to learn the swing. I had a couple of sessions with a former SFG a while back to learn the basics of the technique (unfortunately it's not possible to go and see him again at the moment).

I've been doing various practice swing drills for a couple of weeks now (mainly with no weight), and yesterday started to get a small amount of pain in the inside of my heels (about a thumb's width down from the top of the heel bone - thankfully not on the main part of my achilles tendon or the bottom of my foot).

I've had a think, and I'm pretty sure the pain is from being over-enthusiastic with the cue (from Kelly Starrett's videos, etc.) to screw my feet into the ground. I have very flat feet, so I've probably been over-compensating for that.

My questions are: Is it usually possible to do this too hard, or does it mean I'm doing something wrong? Is there another rotational cue that doesn't put so much pressure on the feet? And finally - how far should you turn your feet out when swinging (I've noticed that turning them out more reduces the pressure on this part of my heel, but don't want to overdo that either).

I totally understand you can't see me and aren't necessarily medics, and I'll take all advice in that spirit. My dad is a doctor, and I check in with him periodically to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid, so please rest assured on that score.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

Jon

(Apologies if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it, but am new to this site).
As others have mentioned, building up your barefoot time over time And speaking of Kelly Starrett I've found rolling a foot over a lacrosse ball daily for a few minutes very helpful.

As others have mentioned, building up your barefoot time over time And speaking of Kelly Starrett I've found rolling a foot over a lacrosse ball daily for a few minutes very helpful.

Thanks very much for the tips - I think I have a lacrosse ball somewhere, I'll dig it out and get going.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom