all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Sounds familiar...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dave0317

Level 3 Valued Member
Apparently several sets a day stopping short of failure really does work...

Female Marines say they've figured out how to master pullups

The female in the article says she has a max of 25 pull ups and will do workouts of 1-6 ladders, another familiar concept.

Funny thing is, grease the groove has been well known in the USMC for a long time. I guess the point of the article is that now that females will be required to do pull ups, they are discovering this stuff for the first time themselves.

Definitely sounds familiar! Pavel's principles all the way.

You cannot imagine how many obstacles there are in the path of a typical female on the way to a real pull-up... and how empowering it is to be able to do one.

A great article. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely sounds familiar! Pavel's principles all the way.

You cannot imagine how many obstacles there are in the path of a typical female on the way to a real pull-up... and how empowering it is to be able to do one.

A great article. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm, I can imagine that there could be obstacles for a female doing muscles ups but pull-ups? ; )

While I do catch your joke, Carl... ; ) Yes, many obstacles: 1) body weight, for many; 2) no idea how to use or engage lats; 3) hardly any activity with arms overhead, either pushing or pulling; 4) grip strength to hold the body and engage more muscles in gripping hard; 5) weak biceps, triceps, shoulders, and upper back; 6) lack of believe that it can be done; 7) lack of examples of women who do pull-ups; 8) abundant poor examples of maniacs throwing themselves around on the bar (kipping, or whatever); 9) lack of knowledge of progressions and strength training techniques; 10) fear of injury - often justified, due to lack of the others.... you get the idea.

^ Yes, that is quite a list, and I can understand the difficulty. 9 is my favorite though because I see that everyday at the gym, whether it's on a horizontal bar or in the squat rack. It's generally not woman that I witness either.

@Anna C , I use a gym now and then, haven't done so for a while, a proper gymnastic gym, not the health and fitness machine thing. I went for freestyle gymnastics, or parkour, or playing around in my case. One of the female coaches, very strong and agile as a gymnast couldn't do bar pull ups at all, yet could do stupidly crazy bonkers stuff on the bar. The start position, looks like a muscle up but isn't, in uk vernacular it's an upstart, I think you have a different name for it in the US. Anyway swing out into a hollow plank, toes to bar, pull on arms but keep them straight and the right technique pulls you up over the bar using physics into the top of a muscle up ready for your bar routine. She could do this all night, ably demonstrating its seemingly effortless simplicity. Beautiful, efficient movement. Always used to confuse me as she couldn't get anywhere near a pull up but could do the most efficient dynamic effortless movement to get into the top position of a bar muscle up with no strength. Not a kip, yank anywhere just beautiful. Right, teach me I said. No chance. A muscle up is far easier!! Could not get it at all, not even close. It was always an odd sight, guys trying ring and bar muscle ups with horrible form and comparing that to the beautiful efficiency of a bar gymnast who can't do a pull up. I could never figure it out, this strength v technique thing......well to be fair she was in her 20s, learnt the move when she was 3 and competed nationally, still you'd think that to do what she could do would require strength but no, all technique.....and that is where strength lies of course!!

Maj Misty Posey, the Marine in the above referenced article whom shared the protocol, is mentioned in Pavel's "Ladders Reloaded" article in Milo.

Personally, I'm impressed by woman who refuse to settle for second class strength and outdo most men, "in this age of femanized men."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom