all posts post new thread

Nutrition Source of information

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vojtakubi

Level 3 Valued Member
I would like to ask you about your source of information about nutrition. Don't need to lose fat or get bigger, just to get better at keeping myself healthy. How to feed hard living people (athletes, military, irregular shift workers).

I'm a big fan of Dr Mike Israetel. Smart guy who breaks down the science in easy to understand and actionable steps. He has video series on both healthy eating and performance eating (as there is a difference). I've linked the healthy eating series below.

I also like Dr Layne Norton, although he can be a bit abrasive and combative sounding. His what the fitness series is usually entertaining as are his "debunking" articles. I've linked his debunking article of a popular podcast about the carnivore diet below:

For actionable fatloss and healthy habits, I'm a huge fan of Josh Hillis's work. His book with Dan John "Fat loss happens on Monday" is awesome, as is his "lean and strong" book. He leans into effective strategies that are kind of ignored by most people in the space.

I enjoy these sources as all of them have had passionate and strongly held ideas that they have changed their minds on based on new information.

I have a strong dislike for people like Gary Taubes (not to say he is a bad person, more that we don't share the same values). For example, when asked if his organization NuSI funded research that found overwhelming evidence that his carb insulin model of obesity was incorrect he would not change his mind on it. (2015 debate with Taubes and Alan Aragon). IMO it is important for your sources to share the same values as you do. Personally I value the idea that people are fallible and everybody should learn and refine their views as they gain knowledge and experience.

I do mostly keto as well. I found good information at Ketogenic Forums. Most of it is pretty straight. On some of the carnivore info some of the stuff people are eating is a bit odd but hey, it's their choice. I don't know if I would ever be down with marrow jelly but to each their own.

I found good information at Ketogenic Forums.
Ketogenic Forums

This site is a hodge podge of some good information and some misinformation.

Ruled By Me

This is one the better Keto Diet websites.

A Comprehensive Guide to Bodybuilding on the Ketogenic Diet

Overall, this is a good article regarding Strength Training on a Ketogenic Diet.

It identifies the three different Energy System.

It briely touches on the reason why Strength Trainiing for individuals needs to be programmed around in the Phosphagen Energy System. However, the article does not go into enough depth on it.

Eating Enough Protein

It provides a range of of gram of protein per kilo/pound of body weight. It fails to mention that protein intake needs to be maintain to around 25% of Macro Intake.

Thus, when Protein Intake is increased Fat Intake needs to be increased, as well. Fat Intake needs be approximately 65% or higher of Macro Intake.

Drs Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney

Research by them has indicated possibly higher Protein Intake while Resistance Training may not be necessary.

That because Leucine (the anablic amino acid) Level are preserved and maintain. Leucine Levels remain elevated with individuals on a Ketogenic Diet.

Drs Layne Norton and Donald Layman

Their research has demonstrated that approximately 30-40 grams per meal of quality protein (meats and dairy) provide enough Leucine to trigger an anabolic response.

Strength Training On Keto

1) Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training

These types of Strength Training are preformed in the Phosphagen Energy Sysem. Repetition are between 1-5 per set with Rest Period between Sets of 3 minute or longer. This ensures that training remains in the Phosphagen Energy Sustem.

2) Hypertrophy Training

Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Training pushes Training into the Glycolytic Energy System, which is counter productive for individuals on the Ketogenic Diet.

With this in mind, a more effective approach to Hyperterophy Training is...

Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training

Research by Dr Jonathan Oliver determined that Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training enables Atheletes to increase muscle mass, while maintaining and/or increasing Maximum Strength and Power.

One of the downsides of with when only Traditional Hypertrophy Training is performed is that muscle mass is increased at the expense of a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Cluster Set Hypertrophy on a Ketogenic Diet enable lifter to remain in the Phosphagen Energy System to a greater degree.

Last edited:
My go-to sources for nutrition information are Dr Catherine Shanahan's books and website. She is generally identified with the low-carb/keto community, but her approach is far more sophisticated than the usual "carbs are poison and ketosis is a divine state that cures all diseases and turns you into a superhero" claims from diet gurus.

I would like to ask you about your source of information about nutrition. Don't need to lose fat or get bigger, just to get better at keeping myself healthy. How to feed hard living people (athletes, military, irregular shift workers).

NCBI research mostly for the actual studies that get quoted in fitness discussion. Other than that a hodgepodge of sources from periodicals like Science News etc.

For health just try to eat more whole foods, get enough protein, get variety, eat the bad stuff in moderation. Planning your meals is perhaps the single most effective thing you can do to improve and control your nutrition.

Nobody out there has the last word on effective nutritional strategies. Use what works for you.

You are right about the meal planning. I most often gain weight when don't have the strict regiment, the idea what I'll need during the day or week. Following a diet helps me to not exceed the limits of what is permitted. Also, the tips and suggestions from https://betterme.world/articles/ help to understand what my body needs, how to get enough of protein, how to replace bad eating habits with healthy ones.

For meal planning and prepping I'm a huge fan of the "Meal Prep Pro" app. Just figure out your calories and protein and then it plans out your meals, gives you a grocery list, and you just cook a couple times a week and have portioned meals for the week ready to go.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom