all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Soviet and Russian training literature

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Training for Life

Level 6 Valued Member
When reading about GPP and strength training, I often see Soviet and Russian sports scientists been referred to. I would like to know more of these origins. So far I am only aware of the existence of Yuri Verkhoshansky’s Shock Method, Supertraining (/w Mel Siff), and Special Stength Training Manual for Coaches (/w Natalia Verkhoshansky). That said, not even sure what the two latter ones entail - Shock Method seems to be the original plyometrics book.

What other literature is there, and which of them are available in English?

Supertraining (/w Mel Siff), and Special Stength Training Manual for.... That said, not even sure what the two latter ones entail
Supertraining

The Table of Contents provide the information prestented.

Great book. Is composed of a lot of training information.

Fundamentals of Speccial Stregth Training for Sports

The Table of Contents provide the information prestented.

Much of this book is integreted into Supertraining.

Soviet Sport Review Journals

Article in this Sports Review Journal were translated by Dr. Michael Yessis.

Some University Libraries have the Journals.

The Science and Practice of Strength Training.

Another great book.

Facts & Fallacies of Fitness

Great information.

517jR2Z-qUL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyone serious about training should have read these book and some of the Soviet Sports Journal articles.

These books and articles need to be read and re-read a few times.

I've recently been re-reading it.

Maybe it's because I've read a lot more since first reading it, but I have to admit it feels very "freshman level" now and even, at times, almost a bit pseudo-science.

How come? Care to go into specifics?

Formulas for things that are actually hard to quantity

Sorry, still can't figure out what you're talking about.

I really like the book. I do wish they would go into more detail on how they came into some conclusions.

A more recent book is Sheiko’s powerlifting book

It's been a while since I read the book. What'd you think? I like it. The programming section is always interesting. I also liked the examples on bar path. Makes for a different read than what's usually said about it, like on this forum as well.

Back
Top Bottom