all posts post new thread

Barbell Soviet Programs for Hypertrophy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@North Coast Miller I would not call two exercises a complex. Three, depending on the exercises are barely a complex.

I would define a Complex as a chain of compound exercises using light to moderate weight, without taking your hands off of, or putting down the implement in a logical sequence of difficulty and positioning.

Snatch+heaving snatch balance+OHS- 1(3+3+3)
Clean+Press+front squat+Row- 1(5+5+5+5)
Snatch+press+push Press+Jerk+reverse Get Up- 1(5+4+3+2+1)

Last edited:
I think I'd stick with twice a week.

-S-
Off topic: when doing that 30-60 sec work to failure protocol for slow twich fibers hypertrophy, on the upper body day, do I have to take that long 10 min rest after every exercise? for example: 30 second push ups - 10 min rest - 30 second rows - 10 min rest and so on, or am I allowed to do a set of rows immediately after taxing myselft on push ups: 30 sec push up - 30 second row - 10 min rest and so on? Btw. I found a link on this forum where some Russian wrestlers are presenting a similar protocol, but they did it a bit differently: 30s work - 30s rest - 30s work - 30s rest - 30s work - 30s rest and then 5-10 min rest after that big set. Thanks.

Coach Charles Pouliqin advocates German Volume Training(GVT) for hypertrophy.
He said he discovered that German weight lifters who wanted to move up a weight class with lean muscle mass in their off season would use this protocol for that purpose.
It's basically a 10 x10 sets and reps with a specific rest time 90 seconds between sets i believe.
It's pretty tough.
I tried it years ago on just squats but they have a protocol for the whole body.
This would obviously be the only training you do following this protocol for the prescribed time.
It's not Russian but addresses your question on a hypertrophy protocol.

Gaining mass is superhard and it takes years to build muscular physique. There is no shortcuts. 2-3 years is short time in that game. Just get stronger, eat well and hope that you gain muscle. Almost any program will work. Maybe 5x5?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom