all posts post new thread

Nutrition Soylent and other meal replacements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LejonBrames

Level 5 Valued Member
Hadn't seen these discussed, was curious if anyone used any of the following:

Soylent
Jimmy Joy
Huel
Queal
KetoChow
Super Body Fuel

I'm a pretty big fan of Soylent and have used it pretty frequently for a few years to replace a meal or two throughout the day. I have also tried Jimmy Joy, and have an order of Huel on the the way.

Anyone using anything like this? I imagine there are a lot of protein shake replacements people use as well, but Soylent/etc are designed to be nutritionally complete.

I don't use them 100% through the day, I always have a real, solid food meal at some point, but it is nice to have on hands for breakfast or lunch.

Ensure 'Enlive' is a pretty potent bottle of food. Mostly I make shakes that sometimes stand in for meals, but they're basically fruit, whole grains/oats, peanut butter, whey.

I've been drinking Huel for a while. I get the vanilla flavour in the 'pro' range (it's the only product in that range). Same as the regular stuff but it's batch-tested by Informed Sport.

It's been very useful to me during lockdown as I've not been able to get out to buy food as often as I'd like and also sometimes when I'm going through a bout of depression I struggle to find the energy to feed myself properly. This ensures I get at least one meal that's nutritionally solid, if unexciting. It's better than how I used to eat under such circumstances.

I'd strongly recommend mixing it in a blender; any time I've used a shaker I always end up with lumps no matter how vigorously I shake it. I find it quite palatable and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has a hard time getting quality calories in throughout the day.

If I'm having it post-training I'll occasionally throw a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter in the blender as well to bulk it out a bit. It also considerably improves the flavour.

Yes, Huel is a lot smoother when in a blender. Huel as a meal replacement is something that I can’t recommend but would encourage you to try. I enjoyed the convenience of a meal that’s nutritious in comparison to my inconsistent diet. I did not enjoy the artificial taste that follows the initial Oat and Vanilla flavors. It also smells the same when it goes out... but Huel acknowledges it’s high fiber.

I tried Soylet a few times.

I thought it tasted incredibly gross, the texture was awful. It smelled like cereal milk.

I'd much rather eat real food.

I have bought ketochow and really liked it. Don’t use shakes currently but would buy again. I mixed the powder with both heavy cream and avocado oil and liked it both ways

I have a couple of shakers most days of Huel Black Edition (the higher protein / lower carb version). I like it a lot, and also find it easier on the digestion than the regular version. It's a bit more expensive.

I also raced the Silk Road Mountain Race on about 3 litres of Huel a day plus some other food. It's good stuff, but really it's just food so no surprise there

I am really liking the Huel so far. It is a LOT more filling than Soylent and Jimmy Joy.

Not a huge fan of the Chocolate, but Vanilla is good. I've been adding an extra scoop oh Whey protein as well, putting it to about 50g. I usually have 1 shake in the afternoon or morning.

I'm a fan of Ample (drinking it right now actually). The formula is the best I've found, and I enjoy drinking it ;)

I'm always up for trying new ones.

I'm trying to strike a balance between price, taste, and protein. I like the Huel has more protein than Soylent and Jimmy Joy. JJ just upped there's to 20g/400kcal, but it used to be just 15g.

Huel original is about 30g/400kcal

On the German website they are offering Huel Black edition, which apparently has more protein and less carbs compared to the 'regular' edition? Does anyone have experiences with the different editions/has a recommendation?

On the German website they are offering Huel Black edition, which apparently has more protein and less carbs compared to the 'regular' edition? Does anyone have experiences with the different editions/has a recommendation?

I have not tried Black yet, as I add a scoop of protein to mine anyways, but there is a subreddit with some discussion on flavour differences.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom