all posts post new thread

Special Events - General Special events questions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jtsang

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello friends,

I am new and was wondering whether there is an order you prioritize them in?

Also wondering what kind of experience would be required to attend as I am a beginner.

I am particularly interested in the all terrain conditioning and strong endurance for first responders.

Thanks!

For me it was just availability of the events, pricing etc. I've been able to attend them all at this point and recommend every single one. They were all excellent.
After that consideration, I suppose it's all about your goals. Especially when it comes to Plan Strong and Built Strong. You can certainly get a ton of benefit just from using the pre-written plans, but they are mostly about planning/programming. So you'll have to ask yourself how much you want to program for yourself or others.
ATC is probably the most accessible. It's SE slimmed down a bit and focused on particular events. It's immediately applicable with little theory behind it. SE can also be implemented right away, but there is much more theory for you to dig into.
SW is fascinating but I think it's a bit more niche.

Last edited:
If you are a beginner to exercise, likely highly unnecessary. More worth your time to purchase sessions with a coach, or buy the online courses to learn from.
Special events (I've only been to SE by the way) are for the coach, or the highly motivated student IMO

Also wondering what kind of experience would be required to attend as I am a beginner.
Please tell us a little bit about your experience in strength training, and what your goals are, overall, as far as strength and conditioning are concerned.

-S-

Hi @Steve Freides,

I did a small amount of barbell work in the past. I followed the starting strength program from Mark Rippetoe.
Kettlebell training I got into consistently starting this March.
I started with the S&S program . I completed timed simple.
I moved onto the ROP program. I completed a half bw press, left side only.
I am currently working through the dry fighting weight program. My first experience with double bell work.

A long term goal of mine is to be able to complete a 48kg turkish get-up, roughly the weight of my wife.
I would like to learn how to efficiently train for performance for as a firefighter and jiu-jitsu practitioner.
One day I hope to complete the SFG I

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Last edited:
I am particularly interested in the all terrain conditioning and strong endurance for first responders.
I have not attend All Terrain Conditioning, but based on what we heard about it at Strong Endurance, my guess is that this one would be the most directly valuable for you. OTOH if you really like the theory and want to learn more about tying the theory and application together in a variety of ways: Strong Endurance.

Built Strong is a practical application of Plan Strong. Both of these are very much strength related, from what I understand (I have not attended either of these). If you want to do more barbell work than kettlebell I might lean towards these -- especially for advanced strength athletes.

Second Wind is breathing, strength endurance, relaxation (during exercise and outside of it), and lots of practical physiology and breathing exercises.

None! Anyone can attend.

I would second All Terrain Conditioning, great course, as well as the one day user courses for kettlebell, barbell and bodyweight.

Thanks
I have not attend All Terrain Conditioning, but based on what we heard about it at Strong Endurance, my guess is that this one would be the most directly valuable for you. OTOH if you really like the theory and want to learn more about tying the theory and application together in a variety of ways: Strong Endurance.

Built Strong is a practical application of Plan Strong. Both of these are very much strength related, from what I understand (I have not attended either of these). If you want to do more barbell work than kettlebell I might lean towards these -- especially for advanced strength athletes.

Second Wind is breathing, strength endurance, relaxation (during exercise and outside of it), and lots of practical physiology and breathing exercises.

None! Anyone can attend.
Thanks very much. Very concise and informative ?. Appreciate all of the responses so far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom