all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Special Forces Selection Preparation Plan

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Anna C I think more upper. I can gain muscle mass in lower part naturally thus there is no need to focus on it. Moreover, I run, ruck, and do Goblet Squats regularly, so more exercise would be too much.

With bw exercises only that would just 10x 70-75%RM, am I right?
No, I would try to add weight somehow or do a variation so the RM is ~12 and then do sets of only 5.

If trying to do it with something you can do higher reps with, you'll need only about 25% of RM. I've done it with pushups but I didn't experience hypertrophy much and instead it was more of a strength endurance protocol.

If you are actually training for selection, hypertrophy should be at the absolute bottom of your list. Big muscles never got anybody through selection, strength, power and endurance is where it’s at.

If you are actually training for selection, hypertrophy should be at the absolute bottom of your list. Big muscles never got anybody through selection, strength, power and endurance is where it’s at.

Yeah, not to build muscles for size. But muscles do the work. More muscle tissue would provide an increased capability for strength, power, and endurance... obviously at the cost of bodyweight, so that must be considered. Anyway, if that truly is one's limiter, I think that building strength and the accompanying muscle fibers that move the body can be fruitful towards becoming the physical condition that can do the best on the target tests. However an individual assessment by a knowledgeable coach would be in order. We're really just guessing about OP's biggest needs for the development of the physical qualities he may lack to be in his best shape for this.

Hello,

I did not try it, however I guess that even a program like @CMarker 's HIRT may be provide hypertrophy only with a calorie surplus.

So no matters the program, diet has to be selected according to the goal.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yeah, not to build muscles for size. But muscles do the work. More muscle tissue would provide an increased capability for strength, power, and endurance... obviously at the cost of bodyweight, so that must be considered. Anyway, if that truly is one's limiter, I think that building strength and the accompanying muscle fibers that move the body can be fruitful towards becoming the physical condition that can do the best on the target tests. However an individual assessment by a knowledgeable coach would be in order. We're really just guessing about OP's biggest needs for the development of the physical qualities he may lack to be in his best shape for this.

It would help a lot if OP had a little extra fat. Building muscle and dropping fat at the same time is a great feeling even if the scale reads the same. It is my belief that once you get much above 15% of the lean average weight for your height (eg 5'10" male 160lb, much above 185) , the added mass will become a serious drag for bodyweight pulls, climbs etc, but also greatly improves rucking performance and carries.

Looking at the requirements I would NOT want to put on weight of any kind, it"ll make pushups, pullups and dips a lot harder

Looking at the requirements I would NOT want to put on weight of any kind, it"ll make pushups, pullups and dips a lot harder

Everything is relative.

My son is 6' tall and 130 lbs and he can hike all day... but the first thing he would need to do is put on some muscle mass to begin to build physical capability necessary for the pushups, pullups, and dips. And doing pushups, pullups, and dips is not how I would have him do that initial muscle gain.

Hello,

Interesting video on the topic, from Mike Dolce, who works with world class MMA athletes. Video titles are self explanatory

And regarding conditioning

And a last one
Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Everything is relative.

My son is 6' tall and 130 lbs and he can hike all day... but the first thing he would need to do is put on some muscle mass to begin to build physical capability necessary for the pushups, pullups, and dips. And doing pushups, pullups, and dips is not how I would have him do that initial muscle gain.
If I had 6 months and it made sense based on average to below average BMI I'd be all for it, am probably the most vocal proponent of increasing lean mass to increase strength on this forum.

But with 8 weeks or so and OP is not in terrible shape current values compared to testing requirements, I'd focus on endurance and basic strength. If a few lbs go on no problem, unless balanced by fat loss 5lbs would be absolute max- realistically 2.5lbs/month would be top end lean gain anyway

But with 8 weeks or so

He later clarified he has until March 2021. I agree the approach would be much different if only a couple of months as he initially mentioned. That might be why we're getting such different perspectives for everyone on the best way to go about this.

When I went through mandatory military service 12 years ago I could hit most of those numbers (not the pull ups) and infantry training still sucked a lot. IMO both max strength and aerobic endurance would have been more useful for me than being able to do lots of reps with relatively easy exercises like push ups.

Given that you have 40 weeks you could dedicate a few months to work on strength first. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with weights you could lift for 6-8 reps 2-3 times a week. High rep calisthenics are relatively easy to work up to if you are well trained. No idea how 10x10 one handed swings with the 32kb compare to full body barbell lifts like squats and deadlifts.

Steady state cardio is important as well. IMO the 3km in 13:40 are way too easy. Us conscripts had to do a minimum of 2.6km in 12 minutes the first week of basic training in order to be allowed to be sent to infantry training after 2 months of basic training. And we only had a couple of athletes in our platoon.

Last edited:
Hello,

This program for Mike Malher can also be quite interesting. It mixes 5x5, 3x3 and High Intensity. It is done 3x a week. 2 or 3 sessions of easy cardio can easily fit in. Sessions goes from the hardest to the "easiest". So it is an alternative to the H/L/M frame we see in the HIRT of @CMarker for instance
Using this program can provide - it seems - side and strength if performed with a slight calorie surplus. If performed with a regular diet, strength only.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I thought I had a bit of deja vu with this thread...

@mikhael there was some great advice here on training for special forces, especially this from @Wes P :

Thank you all. I'm so glad that you have wrote yours ideas and tips on a given subject. This proved that the SF Forum is the best place over the web where everyone can ask a question and good people will write back.
So, taking the above into consideration, for the next 30 days I will continue my S&S practice until the Timeless Simple goal is met. I'll add pull and push workouts into the weekly shcedule and focus more on strenghtening my body.

Hello,

I'll add pull and push workouts into the weekly shcedule and focus more on strenghtening my body.
From there, you will have plenty of options:
- FPP (for both pull ups and the push ups)
- Easy Strength style
etc...

The most flexible and probably the less taxing being GTG.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom