all posts post new thread

Old Forum Special forces selection

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yeah, thanks for answer!

But could  you please give a little more specific guidelines about, eg. how did you structure that programming and periodization with john faas?

Rigor, a very loose load variation.  The reps were low (5) for the abs, high (50) for swings, varied for pullups.

Do a search on "tactical periodization", an article I wrote a few years ago.

LtBaker, for a person who only has to run occasionally—yes.  For a serviceman—no.  You can can 

way back on it though.

Pavel: Great! Thank you really much for helping!

"tactical periodization" article read now. I hope you dont get mad at me, but I still has few quoestions about the matter :D

So the idea is to train "same but different" from day to day?

I know that its near random changes in volume/intensity/weigths/movement, but how I know which kind of changes I do? Just random?

Isn't it hard to keep training load progressive with tactical periodization?

Is this the right idea?:

" (Pushups gtg, everyday)

Day1
Deadlift 3x3x70%
Pull ups ladders
Swings 2x40x12kg (light)

near max relax run

Day2
Pullups with weigths 5x5
Hanging leg raises 5x5
Swings 3x50x16kg (hard)

near max relax swim

Day 3
Rope climb 3x
Full contact twist 3x
KB snaches 2x20x12kg (medium)

Near max relax ruck

Day1 movements again.. ( About 5 training days/week)"

And how about endurance work? What does "near max relaxed run/swim" mean as measures?

Is it done with strength work or different time? And how the endurance work is measured and periodizated?

And, how about this your program for "infantry man" I found:

"Mon.
-2KB clean ladders
-2KB jerk ladders
-bw pullup ladders

Tue.
-Weighted tactical pullups: a set of 3 with the 6RM every 5 min for an hour

Wed.
-LC C&J 1x90%, 1x50%
-Superslow BW pullups

Thur
-Jerks alternated with pullups with a light KB

Fri
-Climb rope
-Overhead and rack walks
Sat, Sun
-off"

Would this do the job for SF selection prep?

Pavel's Tactical Periodization article from Nate Morrison's Mil Fit online magazine from early on:

Tactical periodization is short term PT planning characterized by sharp and near random variation of intensity and volume. Its purpose is greater combat fitness, reduction of injuries, and simplification of the training process."

WORKOUT LOAD VARIATIONS
And their purpose

VOLUME/INTENSITY
Medium/medium workouts are the bread and butter of training.

High/high sessions tests toughness and leads to greater gains once followed by a taper.

Low/low sessions can either be used for active recovery or when you’re likely to go into combat. Easy workouts maintain strength and conditioning while keeping you fresh.

Low/highs set PRs.

High/lows build foundation for stable gains.

Near-random load variation will get you some strange workouts. Good, all volume/intensity combos serve their purposes.

Then there are medium/highs, low/mediums... Every combo has its purpose. This is a good time to dispel a popular in the West myth that the volume and intensity are inversely related -the higher the intensity, the lower the volume and vice versa. Smart men like US Armed Forces Powerlifting Champion Jack Reape and Belarusian kettlebell expert N. V. Galenchik stress that volume and intensity must be uncoupled. "Overall load [sets, reps, proximity to failure, rest between sets, the number and order of the exercises, the degree of recovery from the last PT session, the length of the session, etc.] must vary so that some days you barely leave and others you would love to do more but can't -the plan forbids."(Galenchik, 1999).

I repeat: the volume and intensity are random and not dependent on each other.
To sum up again, tactical periodization is short term PT planning characterized by sharp and near random variation of intensity and volume. Its purpose is greater combat fitness, reduction of injuries, and simplification of the training process.

The above definition gives you plenty of freedom and no headaches in planning your PT. To get you started, here is a sample tactical periodization week of 24kg kettlebell swings. The 'intensity' refers to the percentage of the PR. Try it on your team and drop me a line on the PowerByPavel.com forum.

WEEK 1
Monday 1x60%, 1x70%, 2x80%
Tuesday 3x50%
Wednesday no swings
Thursday 1x100%, 1x80%, 1x70%, 1x60%, 1x50%
Friday 1x40%
Saturday no swings
Sunday no swings

WEEK 2
Monday 1x50%
Tuesday 2x90%
Wednesday 3x70%
Thursday 1x30%
Friday no swings
Saturday 7x40%
Sunday no swings

Shawn and Boxer: Thanks for you also. Boxer did you train for some selections or  work in military when you were asking those questions?

Actually I have read both texts. I just wanted to get some confirmation if I had understood the concept right?

And the endurance work is still a little bit mystery for me?

I know that the point is to run/swim as relaxed as possible without timing yourself, but is there some guidance for distances, heartrate zones or the periodization of endurance work etc.?

I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but I just try to make sure that I don't misunderstand things and waste my preparation time again.

Rigor,

Recently, I've seen resources for selection training at ...

* militaryathlete.com - http://www.militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=52 and

* http://store.stewsmithptclub.com/umiandspfofi.html

You might find the endurance protocols they use to work with the strength routines outlined in this thread.

Dave

I have a number of friend who are US Army Special Forces and wear the Green Beret and their prep was all pretty simplistic. In a similar vein, Richard Marcinko commented in Rogue Warrior about a Lt. who did PT with his Team, said that he did the "runs, swims, rope climbs"...the basics. Granted he was talking about BUD/S prep and not SF prep, but the main idea is he spent the bulk of the time on the tasks he would encounter. That being said, there was an old retired SF guy at a friends gym years back. Even in his late 40s he would come into the gym and put in a solid run on the treadmill almost every day, many times at 6 min/mi pace, before his weight training. But when it was lower body day, the bulk of it was barbell step-ups with 145lbs for numerous sets and reps. It was a portion of the same basic training he'd done throughout his career and still did into retirement. Makes sense and I'm sure the step-ups certainly helped with rucking and being under heavy loads. And to follow above, I believe militaryathlete.com is big on weighted step-ups in their training programs also.

Dave:Thanks for the links! However I have read pretty much about both.

Steve Smith is a former SEAL and surely knows SF training. Though I 'm a little dissapointed that his programs are just 99% of high intensity running, swimming and PFT calisthenics almost everyday. (High intensity and high frequency)

I have also many military athlete programs now. I bet they are good and popular in military community. MA programs are mostly over 60 minutes high intensity crossfit-like training 4-6 days/week.

Both might be good, especially MA, but I would still like to choose easy strength/easy endurance type training for tactical athlete, because of my work/studies  in law enforcement (physical job, random work shifts) and limited recovery abilities.

Boxer: Thanks for sharing your experiences! I have to read more about Marcinco. And yes, step-ups seem to be popular movement at least in MA. I should give it a try.

I believe that SAID principle and "basics" are important and these things "are not rocket science".

But the problem is that if my plan isnt more specific than just to  eg. "run, swim, ruck and rope climb almost daily" , I tend to overtrain and don't know if results are getting better or worse.

JKos: Thanks for the link. In my opinion NSWC's advice seems more solid than many other official programs.

However, I have downloaded and studied the program before. (Haven't done it though). Every selection prep program I have bought seems so advanced, I dont no where to start building work capacity to that level?

And actually I'm not preparing for BUD/S, but to more of SF/SAS -type selection.

And the selection is  described in my first post.

It's "Managing compromises" as Dan John says in ES. But how?

Ouright, seems like there are not more thoughts about  this topic.

Is it possible for one person to buy somekind of online coaching from pavel/strongfirst or must there be a bigger group and only live coaching for tactical training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom