all posts post new thread

Old Forum Spetsnaz physical requirements?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Iron_Man_02181987

Level 3 Valued Member
I was wondering just what are the physical requirements to be in the Spetsnaz? We have all heard that they have to perform at least 18 perfect dead hang pull ups clearing not just the chin but the adams apple with 25 lbs on them.

Now what else is there though? I mean their PT test can't just be the 18 pull ups, tough as those pull ups are but I would think that it has to be more? For example the current apft test has two minutes of push ups, two minutes of sit ups and a timed two mile run.

Anything else?

Spetsnaz was not one thing. It is a general term and there are likely many different requirements for the various units.

From the looks of it, special forces of the world do not have one (or even a few) tests. They have a whole bunch of skills and abilities to be tested, and it is often tested under exhaustion or other stress.

The 10 kg (22 lb) pullup test seems reasonable as a test, however, the test may have a range of scores and that may be the perfect score, rather than the minimum requirement.

I looked up the PT requirements of the various special forces of the world, and they all seem similar. However, what those tests do not show are the other stuff being done. The single most important facet I see is that the requirements encompass a range of skills, and the PT requirements are often a stricter version of the standard tests used in the regular forces. There are often two numbers given, the number which one needs to do, and the number which one should be able to do.

As Joseph said, spetsnaz was not 'all one unit'--there were army and navy branches, paratroopers, etc. (I think).

The pullup standard; 10kg x18+ seems to have been fairly regular, I believe Pavel also mentioned a 20/20 pistol test and a 50/50 24kg snatch standard with one hand switch.

In his book about the spetsnaz, Suvurov mentions a 3m broad jump test that seems to have been a 'minimum' standard much like the pullup test. Longer jumps, sometimes with body armor or a weighted pack, were done by many soldiers. 3m is a pretty high standard, Suvurov mentions how important leg training was for spetsnaz and says that they employed a variety of exercises--jumping for height or distance, running and jumping up and down stairs, running hills, and barbell squats for low and high reps.

Nick, 18 with 22 pounds of body armor—a big difference.

There were many standards—forced marches, running, swimming, and so on, and so forth. The pullup was still considered the primary upper body strength test.

@ Journeyman what was the name of that book and the authors full name? I ask because now I am intrigued to check it out. Thank you

I've read that author's other work on the Soviet military.

It was a most interesting read, and coupled with Viktor Belenko's description of his experiences, it seems that the Soviet military system was aimed at crushing morale.

But aside from that, I switched a while back to using a weighted vest (it is a plate loaded vest, very convenient), and it is indeed different than having weight hanging from the waist. I highly recommend pullups while wearing weight of some kind. If nothing else, the strength it develops will be more useful.

@ Journeyman ok it works now thanks

@ Joseph crushing morale? You mean break the person down mentally? I guess that's pretty much what they would do in any military around the planet.

I never thought that a weighted vest was different from the weight hanging from under you but now that you said that I'm pretty intrigued.

Center of gravity is different. Also, a vest constricts your shoulders which can make it a bit harder, I guess. I don't know because I've never worn a vest heavier than 20#.

@Nick, I do not mean that. The Soviet system was not like any other system around the planet. You can study some of if you want (some of it is the stuff of nightmares, but it will help any glorification of the Soviet government and methods). You can get a quick read of the basic recruitment (conscription) here: http://militera.lib.ru/research/suvorov12/07.html

I am unsure of how to describe a weighted vest vs hanging weights from waist, but as a general observation, it is harder (even though if you have a good vest, it is perfectly comfortable to wear). My vest is plate loaded, and if you have 5 and 2.5 lb "standard" plates, it may be the best option (up to 40 lbs). I think it is worth having to add weight to most calisthenics, and one may find it useful for other exercises too. Plus, one can still add weight by other methods too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom