all posts post new thread

Nutrition spices/supplements/life hacks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Basically, you can do whatever you want with your food. Variety is the spice of everything. Trying new recipes and food types is something that I find very interesting. I often go through the internet and search for recipes, I buy cookbooks, e-books and etc. It's always fun any way. I adore paleo recipes. They are my favorite and most interesting.

I search for recipes as well, then I modify them to my family's taste. Think of a recipe that you have found as the foundation for you to build on. Add & subtract ingredients, on a small scale first, to find where you want the recipe to be, and then make the meal. You will be surprised what you can do to recipes. For example, I found a couple different risotto recipes, took things from each, and then I altered it to my taste. It is better, to my family, than any risotto in an Italian restaurant.

I search for recipes as well, then I modify them to my family's taste. Think of a recipe that you have found as the foundation for you to build on. Add & subtract ingredients, on a small scale first, to find where you want the recipe to be, and then make the meal. You will be surprised what you can do to recipes. For example, I found a couple different risotto recipes, took things from each, and then I altered it to my taste. It is better, to my family, than any risotto in an Italian restaurant.
I totally agree with your. Whenever I buy a cookbook or something, I adjust it with my own specific ways. Let's face it, not every one of us has the same need of salt or pepper or whatever ingredient there is. We all want something more and something less. But it's always nice to try something new.

Bumping this cause I might have a new one....

1 to 2 IPA's and a can of oysters before bed 2 to 3 nights a week. Some might roll their eyes, but here is my reasoning.

Number one, Examine.com recently put out an article with a study saying that 1 to 2 beers can actually increase testosterone by 17%. Over 4 is when your training will start to see detrimental effects and your testosterone will start to decline.
Number two, iron. Athlete's and even weekend warriors have a higher need for iron then an average person. Alcohol increases iron absorption and oysters have a crazy amount of iron.

I just finished a hypertrophy cycle and my nervous system was shot. I keep track of my HRV daily and halfway through my deload week, I still could not get my HRV above 7. Out of the blue, I had bought some Crown Prince Oysters and decided to have a can with a couple IPA's. I had a fantastic nights sleep and woke up with an HRV of 10. For the first time in about 6 weeks, I felt completely rejuvenated. There were other aspects of my morning that were crazy impressive that I won't go in to.

Now I am not saying this is an excuse to drink beer 7 nights a week. I normally only "drink' on Thursday's and Saturday's. Thursday's I usually have one, Saturday I get crazy and can get up to 3 beers. I will be happily testing my theory for the next couple weeks. I only wish I had found this before I started my hypertrophy cycle.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Sounds awesome. I have a few beers Fri,Sat,Sun and sometimes Monday if it is a s*** day. I say all good in moderation. All I am saying is between Fasting and IRON my testosterone is just fine and the beer is not hurting anything.

Craft beer snob here. IPAs, and worse double IPAs, usually aren't 1 beer even though technically they are. Having a 16oz can of an 8% double ipa is more like 3+ beers and probably has more than 300 calories in it.

But, drink em if you got em. Just be aware.

Also, I'm pretty sure hops are linked to estrogen but also reduce Alzheimer's risk. Can't win really.

Right. That is why as long as it is in moderation you should be fine. If your body comp is good and you feel good then you are probably doing OKAY. If you are tired,gaining weight and lacking energy to train then you are probably overdoing it.

Google

beer raises testosterone

and read what you find, please.

-S-

Here is what I find:

"They contain something called phytoestrogen, or estrogen derived from plants. When a beer drinker consumers beer on a daily basis, say more than two a day, the phytoestrogen has an effect on the body, and raises estrogen levels, while loweringtestosterone levels.Mar 27, 2013"

Note the section, on a "daily basis".

Now read this...

Testosterone increases in men after a low dose of alcohol. - PubMed - NCBI

and this..

Can you really build muscle and drink beer

Low dose, 1 to 2 beers, is what we are looking at. Not daily, 4 plus doses.

Plus, I think the biggest benefit for the beer and oysters is the iron content. The testosterone boost it just a slight bonus.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom