all posts post new thread

Nutrition spices/supplements/life hacks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yes @Wesker11 and I did find it helped with my tendinitis in both my elbows and didn't need to resort to ibuprofen. Just look for one with Bioperine. Good luck.

The only thing that makes me nervous about Curcumin is that it is an antioxidant. Antioxidant's have been shown to blunt the effects of exercise.

There are claims that it can boost testosterone, nitric oxide, and boost muscle growth. That's only a few of it's supposed benefits as well.

I haven't taken curcumin as itself but I have eaten a lot of turmeric occasionally and I've never noticed anything special. The eating has been sporadic and motivated by my love of Indian food, so I do not know if I had taken special considerations, had my conclusions been different.

The only thing that makes me nervous about Curcumin is that it is an antioxidant. Antioxidant's have been shown to blunt the effects of exercise.
That's interesting - have any reading you can post a link to? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

-S-

But your conclusion doesn't agree with what Craig says at the top, that newer research essentially contradicts the older.

I can't read it right now but I'll try to read the whole thing later.

-S-

I believe the Ceylon type cinnamon is the best for the health benefits pointed out in this thread. I use cinnamon in smoothies and sometimes sprinkled on a nice bowl of berries with coconut oil. Making me hungry....doh!

My health/lifehack is systemic enzymes. There are a couple brands that are really good and available online. Dr William Wong has a ton of info about the benefits of systemic enzymes. There are many benefits. Been taking them for years.

I eat a lot of spinach. It is the most alkaline leafy vegetable. When you eat a lot of protein the body becomes acidic, and the spinach neutralizes the acidity, and is full of nutrients.

@Geoff Chafe that's interesting. We like sautéed spinach - amazing how much it reduces in volume. We cook it with olive oil and garlic.

-S-

@Steve Freides just wanted to say I've started sprinkling cinnamon on my black coffee (roughly half-3/4 of a teaspoon but I don't measure it as such - pretty much what you said about being like a cappuccino at a coffee shop); while I can't say I find it tastes that much different, the aroma is lovely (like Christmas!), so if for no other reason I'll be sure to carry it on as an insurance policy should the supposed health benefits be legit!

Yep... Spinach (and Kale) almost every day.
(Popeye was right all along!)

Preach it my man!

Regarding health/life hacks/the general theme of this thread, I've found that a good bit of advice worth taking on board is one from (yes, Harry is referencing Ori Hofmekler once again!) The Warrior Diet, in which Hofmekler says that one should get accustomed to, and develop a taste for, subtle-tasting foods, such as vegetables and almonds, as opposed to aggressive tastes like sweets and processed fast food. At the same time, I think it's worth looking out for the foods that taste amazing but also do a lot for you in terms of nutrition (my go-to healthy example is pistachio nuts - nom nom nom!), and avoiding regularly eating processed junk food. As an example, if you want something sweet, instead of eating chocolate cake which is unlikely to do anything for you other than give you a bad combination of macronutrients, eat a bowl of berries - natures sweets - which are loaded with all kinds of goodness. Not a perfect alternative in terms of taste but you get the idea, plus if you regularly eat the right stuff and develop the previously mentioned 'subtle tastes', you will likely not crave junk food at all. Nowadays, even in the late hours of a day when I've been undereating for 18-20 hours, you could probably wave a big chocolate cake right under my nose and I probably wouldn't be tempted at all.

Obviously these habits all start somewhere, and initially that 'somewhere' for most Westerners who have been raised on more than ideal amounts of junk food is to develop a good amount of rock hard discipline! Tough at first, but worth it, and it quickly becomes easier.

I eat a lot of spinach. It is the most alkaline leafy vegetable. When you eat a lot of protein the body becomes acidic, and the spinach neutralizes the acidity, and is full of nutrients.

I've read a lot about the alkaline/acidity balance. It seems like anything from animals is acidic and anything from plants is alkaline. Diseases (cancer) thrive in acidic conditions.

I take apple cider vinegar and lemon water to get my alkalinity up (both things that are acids but are processed as alkaline by the body)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom