all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Spine Decompression Hang from pullup bar (From Relax into Stretch)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jca17

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,
When you relax in the pull up hang, are you supposed to keep your shoulders packed? Is it ok to hang out with them unpacked? Is there any benefit in that to the shoulders, or should they always stay retracted and packed when hanging?

You may unpack the shoulders to some degree. I wouldn't let them go completely lax; think of half-unpacking them.

Everyone's different - you'll have to experiment to see what gives you the most results without causing shoulder problems.

To address your last question specifically, I would like to think that most normally strong, healthy individuals - by which I mean can knock off a dozen or so bw-only pullups - can tolerate a few pullups at bodyweight only with unpacked shoulders. When you start adding reps and/or adding weight, you have to be more careful. I think of the pullup as one of those things we all ought to be able to do.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom