all posts post new thread

Barbell Split beginner barbell program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently joined a weightlifting club in my town. They are mostly focused on the olympic lifts, but I train alongside them with the goal of powerlifting. It seems very clear to me, that the coach is experienced in the olympic lifts and general strength training. However, despite that I told him, that I wanted to train 4 days a week: wednesday, thursday, saturday and sunday, he gave me a program that is designed for 3 days a week. When I asked him about this, he just said to go lighter on 2nd day. As a beginner at barbell (have achieved S&S simple allmost 2 years ago) it's very confusing, and I have decided to take matters into my own hands. S&S was a very straightforward program. And every session it was very clear what I was to do, less choice more focus on the work needed. But I am very confused with the shift to barbell. It probably doesn't help that I have aspergers, and really really really like simple and orderly training programs, which my current for barbell isn't, I would hardly even call it a program.
So can any of you recommend a simple barbell program for either general strength or for beginner powerlifter, that can be trained 4 times a week?
I have not read PTTP by Pavel. But I have read Startting Strength by Mark Ripptoe, his novice program is however 3 times a week, which doesn't work for my work schedule. If none exist I plan on doing the current program 1st day and 2nd day would be S&S medium and do this twice a week.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 could be a good program for you. You focus on one lift per day. So each of your 4 days you will be doing one of these: military press, deadlift, bench press, and squat. I did that for 12 weeks and in that order on Mon / Tues / Wed / Fri.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 could be a good program for you. You focus on one lift per day. So each of your 4 days you will be doing one of these: military press, deadlift, bench press, and squat. I did that for 12 weeks and in that order on Mon / Tues / Wed / Fri.
Thanks Anna.
Did you like the progress it gave? I have heard about 5/3/1, but not studied it properly.

Did you like the progress it gave? I have heard about 5/3/1, but not studied it properly.

I was happy with it, yes. It's funny, you can never really know what would be the "best" first program to use, because there will only ever be one chance to do a first program! And obviously a lot of that first program is learning and practicing the skills, and neurological improvements (newbie gains). But I liked the format of this one and I think it gave me the right kind of challenges.

You can read more about it here: Testing 1RM on multiple lifts

Wednesday: Deadlift
Thursday: Light squat, Light bench
Saturday: Bench
Sunday: Squat

On light days, do up to 5*5 with a weight about 50-70% of your 1RM. Concentrate on speed. It's not supposed to be heavy. On normal days, go with 10-15 reps with range of 70%-90%.

If you want more specifics on the weights take a day to test out your sort of max and calculate from that, start in the low range (50% and 70% respectively), and depending on your level, add 5kg/10lbs-10kg/20lbs on your SQ/DL a week and 2,5kg/5lbs-5kg/10lbs on your bench, and deload after four weeks by starting again from week 2, and later on from week 3. See how you're doing in two or three months.

If you're brand new to barbells then you could do worse than start on a programme like Stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength. They are only 3 days a week though.

On the 4th day you could do S+S or use it to try and learn a new lift (power clean, side press) or just rest and be thankful you don't have to squat again that day.

Tactical Barbell

Zulu template would be 4 days per week.
You could pick a cluster like squat/deadlift/bench/press/pullup/row and lay it out like this:
Wed - press/squat/pullup
Thu - bench/DL/row
Sat - same as wednesday
Sun - same as thursday
You'd hit each lift twice per week

Another option would be Fighter template which is 2x per week.
Pick a more minimal cluster like bench/squat/pullup, then combine it with S&S like this:
Wed - TB Fighter
Thu - S&S
Sat - TB Fighter
Sun - S&S
Other days can be optional S&S days aswell. You won't hit DLs, but the S&S swings and the squats take care of your posterior chain. If you want to DL, there are options in the book how to include them.

My experience and perspective is counter to other advices.

Did you do a tryout or assessment to join?

A Barbell Club is different from other gym going experiences. Maybe this coach gave you there standard beginner program to see what you have. If you come in questioning and doing your own thing you are starting off on the wrong foot.

I would recommend working hard on what he gave you and go back to him, after 8 weeks, and ask for something more suited to your needs, if he does not approach you first. If you cannot demonstrate you can be coached, you may not get coached.

In Barbell Clubs I have been in if someone new comes in and are not working hard and contributing to the team they usually get ignored. They begin to move further away, do there own thing, and pretty soon they don’t show up anymore.

Just do the program and see how it goes. Help setup or cleanup, show interest and enthusiasm. Be part of the team.

Last edited:
Seems that 80/20 is similar to 5/3/1 in principle?

I haven't done 80/20, but I see a lot of differences. 5/3/1 uses lighter weights relative to your 1RM, and you do the last set each session as the most reps you can do with good form. The increases are done per week. I'm sure they're both good programs, just structured differently.

Great point by @Geoff Chafe above.

PTTP! is imho hard to beat as a beginner's barbell program - one of my favourite programs!

Pick up a copy of Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher. He outlines a few different program splits and why one vs the other, etc. Specifically, he trains all three lifts each session if training three or less days per week. At 4+ days per week, the splits begin to shift to two upper days and 2 lower days which reduces each group to twice per week.

3 days per week of each group is likely the concept that you can recover from the training volume and maximize progress with 3 days per week at your current level. I'm guessing the coach will change it to a different split as you progress and need a different stimulus.

My experience and perspective is counter to other advices.

Did you do a tryout or assessment to join?

A Barbell Club is different from other gym going experiences. Maybe this coach gave you there standard beginner program to see what you have. If you come in questioning and doing your own thing you are starting off on the wrong foot.

I would recommend working hard on what he gave you and go back to him, after 8 weeks, and ask for something more suited to your needs, if he does not approach you first. If you cannot demonstrate you can be coached, you may not get coached.

In Barbell Clubs I have been in if someone new comes in and are not working hard and contributing to the team they usually get ignored. They begin to move further away, do there own thing, and pretty soon they don’t show up anymore.

Just do the program and see how it goes. Help setup or cleanup, show interest and enthusiasm. Be part of the team.

That's great advice for anyone joining any club.

@somanaut, another option to consider is hiring a coach. In our age of the Internet, such a person needn’t be local, and you could arrange for both program design and either video review or Skype sessions.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom