all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sport camps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RomanМаг

First Post
Hi Comrades!)

Q for Athletes: Have you ever been in sportcamp? I mean only camps when you self pay for participation.
And Q for trainers:
How you organize the camp for your community?

I did the training camp for the Leadville 100 MTB. It was great, except I was really sick. At first I didn’t know if it was the altitude, which surely didn’t help. Trying to do back to back 6 hr days on the bike was excruciating. I did what I could. It was helpful to learn the course, and get knowledge from those with experience, including pros. Unfortunately, it also meant reassessing my chances, and setting my sights lower, as there was no way I was going to get a buckle.

Ya know there was a time when I thought that they were advantageous. Now I think there are so many of them that you need to really look at who is running it and who some of the coaches are to see if it's really worth the money.

Next I think you really need to consider why you want to go to the camp. What are you expecting to come out of the camp with?

Ya know there was a time when I thought that they were advantageous. Now I think there are so many of them that you need to really look at who is running it and who some of the coaches are to see if it's really worth the money.

Next I think you really need to consider why you want to go to the camp. What are you expecting to come out of the camp with?

Banzaiengr, could you tell, please, more details about your experience? how many camps have you participated in?
How is your technology of choosing of coach in camp? Why you goes to the camp? And how you feel after the camp? What is your sport?

Banzaiengr, could you tell, please, more details about your experience? how many camps have you participated in?
How is your technology of choosing of coach in camp? Why you goes to the camp? And how you feel after the camp? What is your sport?

First, I'm not sure if you are looking to go to a camp yourself or putting one on. Either way my responses hopefully will fit.

I've only gone to one sports camp. That was a wrestling camp put on by the Iowa State head wrestling coach and his staff at that time, Harold Nichols. Nichols was Dan Gables college coach. Although Gable most likely would have done well anywhere, Iowa State along with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State at that time pretty much ruled collegiate wrestling in the U.S.

That gets to my next point. At that time I was just entering High School. I was definitely going to walk away from that camp having learned something.

To choose the camp I would look at what age group is attending the camp. For instance, if the camp is for kids under 15 then the local High School coaches might be all that is needed. At this level the camp participants want to hone their basic skills and learn a bit about the system that they may be entering into at a later date.

Many times all that is really needed is the basics. Young ice hockey players will most likely alway benefit from a skating clinic. Young freestyle wrestlers will benefit from a clinic that only works on footwork and takedowns.

If the participant is a high school participant then he will most likely need to be in a camp that is put on by someone at the collegiate level or higher. If you are at the collegiate level you would want to go to something put on by high level amateurs or professional level coaches.

Why go to the camp? Is the camp going to work on a specific that you or your coaches have identified as a weakness? This is where I have a problem with why folks go to a camp. Are you going because your buddy is going? Are you going because your folks want you out of the house for a week? Most young kids, even at the high school level need to participate in more sports, not more specifics for a sport.

Leaving the camp you should be able to answer this question. What did you learn and how are you going to put it in practice? Example, I learned that dribbling the soccer ball I was doing this wrong. I need to work on doing it this way. Three times a week I need to go to the park and work on these drills.

I don't participate in sports anymore, I'm an old man.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom