all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sprint workouts (200m+)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gracie

First Post
Hiya- I'm hopefully going to attend university in September, and I wish to take up athletics again. When I was younger, I used to sprint 200M/400M to a pretty decent standard - over time however, I stopped running and started competing in team sports. It's been a while since I've set foot on a track (I'm 18, I last competed when I was 16 ((at a pretty low level/school/county)) ) and want to get back into it again, and hopefully compete again. I understand I may not be up to the standard of other runners at uni, but I want to give it another try. Are there any sprint workouts that I could use to gradually increase my speed/distance? with the current climate, I don't have access to a track, but I do have a fitness tracker. As I was studying for exams, I've let my fitness slide, so I'm looking to build it up again. Any suggestions for training/guidance would be welcome. Thank you, hope you're all safe and well!

Hiya- I'm hopefully going to attend university in September, and I wish to take up athletics again. When I was younger, I used to sprint 200M/400M to a pretty decent standard - over time however, I stopped running and started competing in team sports. It's been a while since I've set foot on a track (I'm 18, I last competed when I was 16 ((at a pretty low level/school/county)) ) and want to get back into it again, and hopefully compete again. I understand I may not be up to the standard of other runners at uni, but I want to give it another try. Are there any sprint workouts that I could use to gradually increase my speed/distance? with the current climate, I don't have access to a track, but I do have a fitness tracker. As I was studying for exams, I've let my fitness slide, so I'm looking to build it up again. Any suggestions for training/guidance would be welcome. Thank you, hope you're all safe and well!
I started sprinting while deployed to Irag about 15 years ago and found the best training sessions were ones I downloaded off google from different universities. Don't sweat the volume, slowly ramp up to it. I found the best part was that a really good warm up, main training and cool down was included in nearly every one. I wish I still had the ones I used, they came from the University of Florida and University of Texas.

I started sprinting while deployed to Irag about 15 years ago and found the best training sessions were ones I downloaded off google from different universities. Don't sweat the volume, slowly ramp up to it. I found the best part was that a really good warm up, main training and cool down was included in nearly every one. I wish I still had the ones I used, they came from the University of Florida and University of Texas.
Thank you, much appreciated!

This article is really good.
400m Training, a Scientific Approach

Also, the attached file used to be available on USATF site but since they redesigned the site, this might be the only place to find this little gem. ? (y)

Attachments

• Clyde_Hart_400mTraining-compressed.pdf
    199.5 KB · Views: 19
You may want to take a look at these entry level links from Altis, a track and field group. A good approach to getting back in sprinting shape.

And the associated PDF:

I am biased towards a short to long approach, working on acceleration and max velocity initially. After a bit of training/mastery, you can add in some specific endurance work every 3rd workout.

Best of luck.

The Altis links look pretty good to me. I would suggest that most of the sprints should be performed using a rolling or falling start at first as opposed to a stationary 2-point or 3-point position until you are accustomed to the format. At your age that shouldn't be very long.

The Altis links look pretty good to me. I would suggest that most of the sprints should be performed using a rolling or falling start at first as opposed to a stationary 2-point or 3-point position until you are accustomed to the format. At your age that shouldn't be very long.
Very good point. I think one could even make the argument that nobody really needs more than walking/rolling/skip in/scramble accelerations unless it is track season and a coach is watching.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom