all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed sprinting east v west, weights etc

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Just thought I'd post this link:

It is about sprinting but there is a broad summary of russian strength philosophy v western methods, Charlie Francis merging the best of the 2 and application of weight exercise for sprinting. There are a number of other parts that will probably only be of interest to sprinting. Only a short 7/8 minutes or so but a lot of strongfirst topics in there to chew on.....

Thank you for posting this. It really hit home for me. I have been dealing with a hamstring issue enflamed with sprinting. I had been doing a lot posterior chain work with little sprinting (or even running for that matter). I think this is a great complement to the needs of sport specific training. For GPP, the specific part is a large skill set (as described in Dan Johns quadrants) at various levels of competency. This is something that I am currently conflicted with how little some movements are truly transferable to others.

Reactions: ali
I live near the Australian Institute of Sport and have been surprised at how many athletes, from across the spectrum of sports, including track and field, are deadlifting these days. This is definitely something that has evolved over the past five years or so - didn't notice it before then. From what I've seen they tend to do really low reps, often only three singles, and they drop the weight.

Yes he raises some good points, glad it was useful.
There is another video in that series, maybe the one after, not sure. He hits home with the basics. After going over the many ways to squat with pros and cons of each as related to sprinting and figuring out a programme of sets, reps etc and if confused by it all, just return to a basic bodyweight circuit he says and to work on movement patterns. That can be effective for many. Less neural drain and allows for better quality of sprinting. It's a trade off, as we discuss here often, balancing the attributes to train with recovery and lowering injury risk.
S&S is a perfect programme for this in the same way. Many movement patterns in the get up, very specific horizontal force production with the swings and a dedicated power endurance, posterior chain driven, energy system. Low impact and recoverable.
Interesting what Pavel says about using S&S alongside other strength pursuits. Maybe even more applicable, or as applicable, when combined with actvities of high load cns input. Maybe?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom