all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sprinting speed questions :)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

latnw

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst Forum,

I have done a lot of research before posting this.

But I hope you want to answer some questions so I can be sure :):)

I want to improve my sprinting speed with about 10 km/h
My thoughts and close to a plan looks like this:

- Drop my body fat to around 9%
- Sprint interval training 3 times a week
- Strength training 3 times a week with focus on 3-6 reps (so I don't gain to much mass) Muscle group focus: quadriceps, hamstrings, Glutes, Abdominal Muscles, core
- Isometric training combining with the strength training
- Stair sprinting
- Jump rope
- other jump exercises
- Anavar cycler 50mg ED 8W (then 8 weeks off) repeat for a total of 3 cycles. I have an idea that Anavar is great in providing strength without much mass.

I hope you will confirm /correct every above statement and come with input as well as suggestions

:)

I am assuming you're trying to increase your speed by 10km and not decrease your 10km time, right?

1. Why 9%? Usain Bolt was never 9%.

2. 3 days a week of Sprinting is good, see this video for more information.

3. 3 days of Strength training is good too, it sounds like you want to isolate muscles though and that would be a mistake. Using the Deadlift, Military Press and Kettlebell Swing would be better, see this video for more information.

4. I think if you used Prowler/Sled marches you could cut out a lot of the core, isometric, stairs and jumping etc, see the videos below for more information on the Starting Strength Prowler and Westside Barbell Sled Dragging.

5. Have you used PED's before? If there is no Gold Medal or $1,000,000 prize, why would you ruin your life? I'd suggest reaching some basic strength standards if you haven't already and then re-evaluating the decision with a doctor. Here is a video by George Leeman about taking PED's.

Assuming you do not have much track experience - otherwise a 10km/h top speed improvement would be close to impossible - I would strongly recommend learning the technique first and work on your body composition.
Then -after multiple competitions- you may eventually progress into competitions at
a higher level before even considering PEDs at all.
And if you are competing at a high level chances are you are going to get tested, so no PEDs for you

If you do not have any ambitions to compete, you should know that steroids, besides some other pretty ugly side-effects, might f**k up your endocrine system for life, so I would strongly advise against them

For the training part of it: Sprinters are finely tuned machines; get yourself a coach that personalizes a program for your needs
Until then, try what you wrote above and see if you can recover from it, I'd personally ease into it because 3 times a week of sprinting plus 3 times a week of (heavy) lifting are very taxing on the body

Stay healthy and keep making progress in the long run - good luck comrade

Listen to this podcast episode of Tim Ferriss with Ryan Flaherty - he knows a thing or two about running speed.

Hex Bar Deads, VMO training and the "big wheel".

Do the Mach Drills and skip the Anavar.

- Sprint interval training 3 times a week
- Strength training 3 times a week with focus on 3-6 reps (so I don't gain to much mass)
- Stair sprinting
- Jump rope
- other jump exercises
I wouldn't do intervals. Instead, do repeats with a lot of rest. Intervals will help speed/special endurance but not contribute much to speed after the first one and will train your body to run a slower pace. A rule of thumb for true speed training is 1 minute of rest for every second of effort. A 5 second sprint equals a 5 minute rest.

If you want to train sprinting 3x per week and strength train 3x per week, combine a couple of the sessions during the week. If you simply alternate days, everything becomes a high intensity day and you won't recover if you're doing high enough intensity. You'll need some off days, something like: sprint, both, off, both, off, strength, off.

Stairs or hills will help if you lack strength but many people are slow because their turnover rate is slow. You could try post activation potentiation by using a parachute for a few strides and then unclipping it or pushing a heavy sled a few strides and then taking a step around and finishing the sprint.

Do a significant warmup including the ABC drills and lunges, cross crawling, and frog jumps to get everything turned on and warmed up.

I don't know why everyone is afraid of "gaining mass", more stronger faster muscle mass will make you faster. More important than keeping reps low, keep the intensity low enough that 3-6 reps is a buffer from failure. Cluster training keeps force and velocity higher than straight sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I wouldn't do intervals. Instead, do repeats with a lot of rest
+1

I am not a sprint pro, but I recently incorporated them into my routine, 1-2x per week.

Basically, in the wood, I do a hill sprint. I stop as soon as I feel I slow down. Then, there is no distance or sprinting duration involve. However, I take a lot of rest, which is timed for 2'30''. Doing so, it is possible to get at least 7 good quality sprint. 10 is my max with good quality.

I don't know why everyone is afraid of "gaining mass", more stronger faster muscle mass will make you faster.
This is really true, especially when we see modern days sprinters. They are packed with muscles... I guess we think by instinct "what is heavy is slow, and what is light is fast": a Formula 1 vs a tank

In this article about the slow twitch, Pavel says that 50% of our sprinting speed comes from slow fibers. Then, as @Bro Mo says, it can be interesting to work on strength (by the way, Pavel says so in the beginning of the article (2nd paragraph). From there, you can build what you want:

Even if actual sprint training is necessary, working on both FT and ST seem to be the best way.

- Strength training 3 times a week with focus on 3-6 reps (so I don't gain to much mass)
There is a difference between sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, as stated in PTTP.

Below is an article which sums up:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Don't know what you mean by 10 km/h.

In the sprint universe that is 3 m/s.....looking to improve by 3 m/s, where are you now and what is your age?
Going from 8 to 11 m/s or from 5 to 8 m/s? 100 m or over?

In the endurance verse, a 10 k in one hour is achievable for most people.
Going from 8 to 11 m/s in the 100 is only achievable for some, well few.

So not sure of the context here. Age? Current standard?

I am assuming you're trying to increase your speed by 10km and not decrease your 10km time, right?

1. Why 9%? Usain Bolt was never 9%.

2. 3 days a week of Sprinting is good, see this video for more information.

3. 3 days of Strength training is good too, it sounds like you want to isolate muscles though and that would be a mistake. Using the Deadlift, Military Press and Kettlebell Swing would be better, see this video for more information.

4. I think if you used Prowler/Sled marches you could cut out a lot of the core, isometric, stairs and jumping etc, see the videos below for more information on the Starting Strength Prowler and Westside Barbell Sled Dragging.

5. Have you used PED's before? If there is no Gold Medal or $1,000,000 prize, why would you ruin your life? I'd suggest reaching some basic strength standards if you haven't already and then re-evaluating the decision with a doctor. Here is a video by George Leeman about taking PED's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the answer really awesome! :)

1. About the 9% body fat
I read this "So male sprinters would have a range between 7.1 percent - 11.1 percent" So I figured that 9% will be something to aim for.

2. Thanks for the video

3. Thanks a lot, I think I need someone to help me create a program, so many contradicting information online :)

4. Thanks, about the isometrics I read this maybe its not "up to date information"

5. No not at all, I like personal challenges a lot, and never quit before I'm there - I'm in the finance industry :)

Thanks for taking time writing and respond so nice :)
I think I need someone to help me make a program.

I have 3 hours a day I can use on this project.

My current stats is:

Height: 188 CM
Weight: 94,8 KG
Fat% : 16%
Fatmass in kilo: 15.20 kg
Musclemass: 45,7 kg
Fatfree mass: 79.60 kg
Water%: 61.4%
Resting metabolic rate: 2090 kcal

Diet: Low carb and calorie deficit, until I hit around 9% body fat - combined with intermittent fasting
I hit around 1593 calories with a distribution of
Carbs: 10.6 G
Fat: 121 G
Protein: 118.5 G

Note: I have plenty of energy!

Workout routine:

Day 1: Sprint Interval Training. Strength Training and 1 hour walk

Day 2: 1 hour walk

Day 3: Sprint Interval Training. Strength Training and 1 hour walk

Day 4: 1 hour walk

Day 5: Sprint Interval Training. Strength Training and 1 hour walk

Day 6: 1 hour walk

Day 7: 1 hour walk

Note:
SIIT protocol looks like 30 seconds SPRINT and 90 seconds walk with a total of 8 sprints.

Strength training protocol looks like:
- Stair master for 10min really fast.
- Leg press 4 sets 3-6 reps
- Lying leg curls 4 sets 3-6 reps
- Leg extensions 4 sets 3-6 reps
- Calf press on leg press 4 sets 3-6 reps
- Dumbell walking lunges 2 sets 10 reps

- Dips - to failure
- Chin up - to failure

- hanging knee raise to failure
- Weighted Russian twist
- Kettlebell swing

THANKS A LOT :) !

Assuming you do not have much track experience - otherwise a 10km/h top speed improvement would be close to impossible - I would strongly recommend learning the technique first and work on your body composition.
Then -after multiple competitions- you may eventually progress into competitions at
a higher level before even considering PEDs at all.
And if you are competing at a high level chances are you are going to get tested, so no PEDs for you

If you do not have any ambitions to compete, you should know that steroids, besides some other pretty ugly side-effects, might f**k up your endocrine system for life, so I would strongly advise against them

For the training part of it: Sprinters are finely tuned machines; get yourself a coach that personalizes a program for your needs
Until then, try what you wrote above and see if you can recover from it, I'd personally ease into it because 3 times a week of sprinting plus 3 times a week of (heavy) lifting are very taxing on the body

Stay healthy and keep making progress in the long run - good luck comrade

Currently I'm at 24,8 km/h and I wanna improve to 35 km/h

Thanks for the input mate

CUrrent stats

My current stats is:

Diet: Low carb and calorie deficit, until I hit around 9% body fat - combined with intermittent fasting

Workout routine:

Note:
SIIT protocol looks like 30 seconds SPRINT and 90 seconds walk with a total of 8 sprints.

- Dips - to failure
- Chin up - to failure

- Weighted Russian twist
- Kettlebell swing

Listen to this podcast episode of Tim Ferriss with Ryan Flaherty - he knows a thing or two about running speed.

Hex Bar Deads, VMO training and the "big wheel".

Thanks! :)

- Dips - to failure
- Chin up - to failure

- Weighted Russian twist
- Kettlebell swing
Shorten your sprints to 5-10 foot strikes of the same foot. Whichever foot you start forward, count the times it strikes. This should only be 5 seconds worth. Additionally, lengthen your rest period to 3 minutes or more.

Can you access a barbell instead of machines? If so, I would try to do more squats and cleans instead of isolation exercises.

Some speed sessions can get really long, specifically speed endurance sessions, due to long rest periods (7-15 minutes). It may help if you offset training days a little to get a track day all by itself.

Mon: Strength + Speed (Acceleration)
Tue: Walk
Wed: Strength
Thur: Walk
Fri: Speed (Endurance)
Sat: Strength + Speed (Velocity)
Sun: Walk

Attached is a good bit of information on sprinting.

Attachments

• UKA-Michael_Khmel&Tony_Lester_CLASSIFYING_SPRINT_TRAINING_METHODS.pdf
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 6
I wouldn't do intervals. Instead, do repeats with a lot of rest. Intervals will help speed/special endurance but not contribute much to speed after the first one and will train your body to run a slower pace. A rule of thumb for true speed training is 1 minute of rest for every second of effort. A 5 second sprint equals a 5 minute rest.

If you want to train sprinting 3x per week and strength train 3x per week, combine a couple of the sessions during the week. If you simply alternate days, everything becomes a high intensity day and you won't recover if you're doing high enough intensity. You'll need some off days, something like: sprint, both, off, both, off, strength, off.

Stairs or hills will help if you lack strength but many people are slow because their turnover rate is slow. You could try post activation potentiation by using a parachute for a few strides and then unclipping it or pushing a heavy sled a few strides and then taking a step around and finishing the sprint.

Do a significant warmup including the ABC drills and lunges, cross crawling, and frog jumps to get everything turned on and warmed up.

I don't know why everyone is afraid of "gaining mass", more stronger faster muscle mass will make you faster. More important than keeping reps low, keep the intensity low enough that 3-6 reps is a buffer from failure. Cluster training keeps force and velocity higher than straight sets.

Thanks a lot! really helpfull

Regarding the mass my thoughts where the higher the "power to weight ratio" the better :)

Hello,

+1

I am not a sprint pro, but I recently incorporated them into my routine, 1-2x per week.

Basically, in the wood, I do a hill sprint. I stop as soon as I feel I slow down. Then, there is no distance or sprinting duration involve. However, I take a lot of rest, which is timed for 2'30''. Doing so, it is possible to get at least 7 good quality sprint. 10 is my max with good quality.

This is really true, especially when we see modern days sprinters. They are packed with muscles... I guess we think by instinct "what is heavy is slow, and what is light is fast": a Formula 1 vs a tank

In this article about the slow twitch, Pavel says that 50% of our sprinting speed comes from slow fibers. Then, as @Bro Mo says, it can be interesting to work on strength (by the way, Pavel says so in the beginning of the article (2nd paragraph). From there, you can build what you want:

Even if actual sprint training is necessary, working on both FT and ST seem to be the best way.

There is a difference between sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, as stated in PTTP.

Below is an article which sums up:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Amazing input thanks a lot! :)

Don't know what you mean by 10 km/h.

In the sprint universe that is 3 m/s.....looking to improve by 3 m/s, where are you now and what is your age?
Going from 8 to 11 m/s or from 5 to 8 m/s? 100 m or over?

In the endurance verse, a 10 k in one hour is achievable for most people.
Going from 8 to 11 m/s in the 100 is only achievable for some, well few.

So not sure of the context here. Age? Current standard?

Thanks - some stats and story here

1. About the 9% body fat
I read this "So male sprinters would have a range between 7.1 percent - 11.1 percent" So I figured that 9% will be something to aim for.
coachesinsider.com

Body Composition – Methods and Importance for Performance and Health [ARTICLE]
The measurement and understanding of the basic morphological characteristics of the athlete is the foundation on which a training process may be built. Specific anthropometric characteristics are needed to be successful in...
coachesinsider.com
coachesinsider.com

2. Thanks for the video

3. Thanks a lot, I think I need someone to help me create a program, so many contradicting information online :)

4. Thanks, about the isometrics I read this maybe its not "up to date information"
breakingmuscle.com

Increase Your Fast-Twitch Potential With Isometrics
Sometimes, standing still can be the best way to train for speed.
breakingmuscle.com
breakingmuscle.com

5. No not at all, I like personal challenges a lot, and never quit before I'm there - I'm in the finance industry :)

Thanks for taking time writing and respond so nice :)
I think I need someone to help me make a program.

I have 3 hours a day I can use on this project.

My current stats is:

Current top speed 24,8 km/h goal 35 km/h

Workout routine:

Note:

- Dips - to failure
- Chin up - to failure

- Weighted Russian twist
- Kettlebell swing

THANKS A LOT :) !

T
Shorten your sprints to 5-10 foot strikes of the same foot. Whichever foot you start forward, count the times it strikes. This should only be 5 seconds worth. Additionally, lengthen your rest period to 3 minutes or more.

Can you access a barbell instead of machines? If so, I would try to do more squats and cleans instead of isolation exercises.

Some speed sessions can get really long, specifically speed endurance sessions, due to long rest periods (7-15 minutes). It may help if you offset training days a little to get a track day all by itself.

Mon: Strength + Speed (Acceleration)
Tue: Walk
Wed: Strength
Thur: Walk
Fri: Speed (Endurance)
Sat: Strength + Speed (Velocity)
Sun: Walk

Attached is a good bit of information on sprinting.

Thanks a lot, really helpful :)

I can access barbell and everything else useful, how many reps and set will you aim for?
awesome training protocol looks great

Regarding supplements, there is so much "bro-science" out there is there anything helpful?

Createtine?
ZMA?
Amino acids?

I can access barbell and everything else useful, how many reps and set will you aim for?
I would try to stay close to Prilepins Chart.
Regarding supplements, there is so much "bro-science" out there is there anything helpful
Creatine if you're not able to get the volume you need to cause overloading. ZMA can help if you're unable to get quality sleep. Beta Alanine and caffeine can help if you're lacking energy during training. Protein can help if you're unable to get adequate amounts due to a diet restriction of some kind.

They all have their place but probably not necessary without a specific reason.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom