all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat and deadlift as a GPP to kettlebell training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will just 2nd this. Brian is my (online) coach. He has been working with me since Spring of 2019. And even prior to that, I was using his books on my own. I have a history of back issues... I highly recommend the books: Back Mechanic, 10/20/Life, and Gift of Injury. I've made a lot of progress in the last few years.

Regards,

Eric
Thanks! I'm glad you've progressed. It gives me hope.

Anyway, my plan is still kinda open. So I tested my kb press rep maxes today, to see where I'm at. One program that I've used in the past has so called variety days. Maybe I can do bb stuff on those days. Time will tell. ROP is a one option.;)

I believe you could find the dead lifts add some kick to your cleans and swings (snatches too) if you go that route. At least I have noticed that in the past. And swings are a great warm up for dead lifts IMO

I believe you could find the dead lifts add some kick to your cleans and swings (snatches too) if you go that route. At least I have noticed that in the past. And swings are a great warm up for dead lifts IMO
Thanks! If I get the ROP route, then I will add only DL at some point. I get some squattin' with the warm-up and my knees don't like how I do heavy squats. I test different options 'til new year and maybe fully start on January. What ever that may be. I'm still a bit confused what program to use. I may come back to S&S at some point, but now it's not an option. I want to use more movements, but not overtly. Just a bit of variation for the mental health's sake.

I'm thinking of something like doing DL&SQ 3x a week and vary the intensity. If on day one I would hit hard the DL, than I would do some light movements with SQ. You get the idea.

Quick update. I found a static squat or more like an isometric exercise to support my future sport specific encurance. 8 Amazing Benefits Of The Wall Sit (& How To Do It Correctly). Wall sit is said to build muscular endurance and baseline strength through the quads. Best part is that it is back friendly. So I can start it right away to improve the leg drive that I will need for the KB lifts. Hooray! So wall sits it is for starters.

Quick update. I found a static squat or more like an isometric exercise to support my future sport specific encurance. 8 Amazing Benefits Of The Wall Sit (& How To Do It Correctly). Wall sit is said to build muscular endurance and baseline strength through the quads. Best part is that it is back friendly. So I can start it right away to improve the leg drive that I will need for the KB lifts. Hooray! So wall sits it is for starters.
Great attitude to find something that you can do right away! Sometimes when injured or in pain I forget to look for something I can do easily while rehabbing. Back pain can be such a b!tC#.

When I was in yiur situation. I just did the McGill Big 3, lots of walking, and focus on perfect spine hygiene.

Then I started doing goblet squats (I tried to make them look like low bar squats, deep hinge, a#@ back) to a high box. Over time I was squatting most parallel, to a box, pain free. Then I replaced the 24kg bell with an empty barbell. After a while, I removed the box. After a while I started adding 10 lb to the bar, basic linear progression.

I would avoid ballistics for a while. Focus on Grinds. But I'm no doctor nor am I a trainer.

Eric

When I was in yiur situation. I just did the McGill Big 3, lots of walking, and focus on perfect spine hygiene.

Then I started doing goblet squats (I tried to make them look like low bar squats, deep hinge, a#@ back) to a high box. Over time I was squatting most parallel, to a box, pain free. Then I replaced the 24kg bell with an empty barbell. After a while, I removed the box. After a while I started adding 10 lb to the bar, basic linear progression.

I would avoid ballistics for a while. Focus on Grinds. But I'm no doctor nor am I a trainer.

Eric
Thanks for the advises. Big3 and walking it is for now. Later I will add push ups and TRX-rows. Then I might try that goblet progression of yours. How’s that sound?

Thanks for the advises. Big3 and walking it is for now. Later I will add push ups and TRX-rows. Then I might try that goblet progression of yours. How’s that sound?

I'm in your boat... Brian grounded me. I'm not in pain, in fact I feel great right now. But I messed up a rack pull 3 weeks ago and was hurting for a couple days. Brian has put me back on the basics for a couple weeks. Same as you. I'm walking, doing Mcgill3 (and my warmups I mentioned), pushups, and loaded carry's.

Even after you no longer feel pain, that doesnt mean your back is healed. Give it time and master the basics. You dont want to rush it and take steps backwards.

I'm in your boat... Brian grounded me. I'm not in pain, in fact I feel great right now. But I messed up a rack pull 3 weeks ago and was hurting for a couple days. Brian has put me back on the basics for a couple weeks. Same as you. I'm walking, doing Mcgill3 (and my warmups I mentioned), pushups, and loaded carry's.

Even after you no longer feel pain, that doesnt mean your back is healed. Give it time and master the basics. You dont want to rush it and take steps backwards.
Thanks! Yeah, Big3 ’til Father time. Maybe I will do ruck marches with a 8kg backpack someday too.

Hi, I want to train with the bells around 2-3 times a week and add barbell squat and deadlift to it. I'd like to do the squat and the deadlift in the same workout. Kettlebell sessions would consist at least the clean, the swing and the push press. Some sources says that the half squat and the Romanian deadlift would be the the best accompanion to the kettlebell lifting, but I'm not sure about that. Any advises?

I think RDLs and KB swings, while not identical, are both similar in that they have heavy eccentric loading.

If it were me, I wouldn't necessarily want that overlap and will probably pick a different pull / hinge.

I think that sounds like a good plan. You can always do some 1HKB DLs along with the goblet squat to maintain the hinge practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom