all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat and Leg Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Matts
Are you familiar with shortstop position? you want to maintain lower back like that the whole time. Can you do good mornings?

No, I am not familiar with shortstop position, unless I just know it by another name. Haven't tried good mornings.

find some SFG materials teaching shortstop position- it's an easy way to learn how your lower back should feel all during the squat. Forget the good mornings- just do the planks, dead bugs, supermans, etc. Get going! and remember, it's not where you start out, but where you end up.

+1 for all of @Matts suggestions.

When you get comfortable with dead bugs and supermans I would suggest to add baby crawling. I've been crawling for the past 5 weeks and this really ties your body together.

Check out Original Strength. If you have a nearby instructor even better, if he/she is also a SFG it's best ;)

@Michael D I'm not an instructor, but I don't see a mobility problem here. You have a slight butt wink at the bottom, but that's way below parallel. Stop an inch higher than you do in the vid and there shouldn't be any problems with that.

As Kbe said I think your mobility looks good - you are getting significantly below parallel. Get someone to work with you and tell you as you lower exactly when your back rounds.

Hello,

Deadlift and front squats are a good agonist / antagonist pair.

Kind regards,

Pet'

348lb. It felt heavy, but doable. On all those I was trying to lower the weight as far as possible. I kept the stance about the same as in the squat...

Remember the leg press doesn't have you vertical and upside down. The weight isn't going straight up and down. Rather, it is placed on rails and is being pushed at an angle up that slope. Physically, this means some of the weight on "the bar" is supported by the actual machine's rails and do not go through your legs at all.

If the slope is of 45 degrees (which seems about right for a Leg Press machine), then cos(45)*weight on bar will be going down your legs, and the same on the rails. That's about 70%.

So really, when you load 348 lbs, only about 245 are even going through your legs. The rest of the difference is due to what's been said above. Back is purely supported.

115 vs 350 sounds pretty unbelievable. But 115 vs 254 makes a lot of sense when you consider an entire joint (the hip) is being taken out of the equation so you will obviously push far more, maybe even twice as much. Just posting to mention that key portion. 30% of the weight you load won't even go through your legs, provided the slope is close to 45 degrees.

Hello,

Provided you calculation it would be then a good idea to always put 30% more on the press to really press the weight we want to

Example : if you want to really press 50, putting 65

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was leaning forward a bit.

Forward Lean

...a certain amount is natural. The degree of forward lean is dependent on how you are built.

Fold-Ability and Proportions

Tom Purvis, Physical Therapist, video above demonstrates what is acceptable..

...my squats is, there is a sticking point coming out of the hole when the weight feels much heavier, about 1/3 of the way up.

The Ascending Squat Strength Curve

The sticking point for lifters is in the bottom position; from the hole position to just a few inches up. This is weakest part of an Ascending Strength Curve Movement for the Squat.

Two method will help in the bottom part of the Squat...

1) Specific Strength Exercises

a) Pause Squats: Pausing the weight for 4 seconds eliminates the stretch reflex; thereby increasing strength out of the hole position.

b) Isometric Squats: Isometric and Functional Isometrics from the hole position.

c) Various other types of Paused Squats from the hole position, as well as Paused Leg Pressing pausing the weight at the bottom and driving it up.

2) Power Training: Moderate Load (48-62% of 1 Repetition Max X Sets of 1 - 3 Repetition)

Squats preformed explosively with a stretch reflex/plyometric bounce out of the hole.

Research shows that up to 18% more power is created when the stretch reflex is elicited.

Power is "The Grease" that help maintain momentum, sliding through your sticking point.

Kenny Croxdale

No. It won't. Not at all. You can (possibly) mimic a very light Goblet squat with an unloaded "air squat", but trying to learn how to barbell back squat with bodyweight squats or a broomstick is a big waste of your time. The lifter/load system has a Center of Mass and that COM must be kept over the center of balance, which is the center of your foot. The COM of you, the human, is a couple inches below your navel. Hold even a 12kg bell in the Goblet squat position and your COM moves upward dramatically. Put a 315lb bar on your back and your COM moves way up and way rearward.

And if your goal is to use the barbell to get strong, Goblet squats won't help you either since you're already strong enough to squat more than the heaviest kettlebell you're likely to see around.

Show me a loaded barbell back squat, shot from hip height, from a rear 45 degree angle and we'll go about the business of directly fixing your squat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting discussion and great points, I am learning a lot..............

@MichaelD.....are the ideas and suggestions helping?

The bar / broomstick looks a bit high on the shoulders for me, but I'm no expert on squat form.

IMO, the bar placement is fine in your broomstick squat. This is where the bar sits in a high-bar squat - on the top of the traps. There is also a low-bar squat which is used by powerlifters. I personally find in uncomfortable. I also used to do Olympic lifting and Olympic lifters only use the high-bar squat.

I started squatting like you with 3 x 5 but found that the heavier weight required to make a five set taxing was interfering with development of the skill. I dialled the weight down and moved to 1 x 20 and ended up making much better gains in that beginner period

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom