all posts post new thread

Old Forum Squat Bars That Don't Bend

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I'm soliciting opinions on bars that don't bend much. I've been training regularly for my second Inman Mile attempt in October, and I'm noticing that once the weight gets to a certain point, the bar starts flexing as I walk.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

I use my TX Power Bar for everything and there is very little bend. I know they make a squat bar, which I have not used, but the standard bar is excellent.

Steve, here is my only recommendation.

http://www.ironmind-store.com/S-Cubed-Bar153/productinfo/1223/

IronMind's S-Cubed Bar is insanely strong and stiff. It's a hefty price tag $650 (without shipping), but you should never have to buy another bar again in a normal lifetime of lifting.

Coincidentally (since you are interested in it for the Inman Mile), the only time I've had a chance to use an S-Cubed Bar was with at an acquaintance's house a few years ago. He was moving overseas and selling all of his lifting equipment. He told me he had used his S-Cubed Bar for Inman Mile training. He said he didn't mind dropping it off his shoulders when he became exhausted, because it was so tough that it didn't hurt the bar in any way when he dropped it. On dirt usually, but on concrete once (!) from what he told me. His bodyweight was about 220lbs, so his minimum training weight was 330lbs. But he mentioned he preferred training with double bodyweight and heavier, because it made 330lbs feel "light." He said that even at 500lbs, the S-Cubed Bar didn't bend or flex at all when he walked.

I had to look it up- what an event! I second the Texas Power bar. Out of about 10 bars at my gym, it's the most popular. All bars flex some, I'd suggest you'd want one that flex mates well with your stride- a "tuned" bar. Some bars seem to work against you, while others give a little lift at the right time. Kind of like flex in a golf club shaft. A 6ft bar might be stiffer in same model. Good luck!

Ben, the IM bar is too long. Mine has to be regulation length as far as I know.

I think I found a used Texas Power Bar for $160 so I'm going to try to get that.

In my research, the Midwest Power Bar came up as a viable alternative.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom