all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Squat Everyday - Ivan Djuric

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've done stretches of squatting everyday. I'd have to check older logs, but I think I did a million pounds in 70 consecutive days at one point.

This looks interesting. I'm not sure I'll agree w. all of his thoughts and observations, but that's part of what makes interesting.

I've been enjoying watching this man's journey and thought you guys would enjoy it as well. He's on day 450 of squatting everyday!

Circling back to this guy today - he has a 300kg squat listed as a goal on his channel page but I can't tell where his is exactly on that goal.

He certainly has "the gift of gab" (something I've been told a time or two) so he's got that going for him. I have to question the mission (and the message) a bit though. Is the mission "to squat every single day", or is it "to squat 300kg"? Is it both? Is it to get more subscribers?

Squatting everyday for a couple years is cool and all and if that's what he wants to do, then great! But (and I've only skimmed about three videos), he seems to make a point of emphasizing the discipline and boredom of training - I don't disagree, but if it's not contributing to your goals (and I think most athletes and coaches, even Olympian-level, would agree that a day off here and there is a good idea), I'm not sure what it's for.

Squatting everyday for a couple years is cool and all and if that's what he wants to do, then great! But (and I've only skimmed about three videos), he seems to make a point of emphasizing the discipline and boredom of training - I don't disagree, but if it's not contributing to your goals (and I think most athletes and coaches, even Olympian-level, would agree that a day off here and there is a good idea), I'm not sure what it's for.
Obviously I can't speak for the guy, but I can speak for myself. I know that I love to train. Like, really love to train. I think this points out a certain paradox for those of us who love to train so much. If we really love whatever our chosen exercises is, then we tend to want to do it more often. However, as you said, is this really contributing to our goal of improving whatever our favorite exercise is? It seems to me that perhaps you might be able to make micro gains over a long period of time with high frequency, or you could maybe make quicker gains by training 2-3 days/week. Having used a lot of high frequency myself, as well as being in the thick of a high frequency "program" at the moment, I can say for certain that you can't train at a high intensity very often.

I believe that in the Easy Strength book Dan John/Pavel says that you should drop the intensity drastically after reaching a new PR. With high frequency you have to.

I find this channel interesting, and I would be curious to see if he ever reaches his goal. I did watch one of his videos in which he was answering questions. One thing I remember about it is that he said he never trains to reach a PR, he just trains based on how he feels that day. So I get the confusion about what his goals really are, and whether or not he is approaching his goals in the best manner.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom