all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat form check 2 videos

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jmoneymillionare

First Post
I suck at bb back squats and they have always felt awkward to me. I experimented and through some 10 lb plates under both feet and squats have felt alot smoother. I am only doing 135 in the videos but am looking perfect my form..let me know what u guys think thanks from behind
From side

@Jmoneymillionare Welcome to the StrongFirst forum. I am assuming you are a tall athlete as the plates under your heels appear to be assisting your squat depth.

Have you considered buying squat lifter shoes? In the long run, these shoes would be a safer option for you as the loads increase.

Adipower-Low-Bar-Squat-Shoes.jpg

All the best.

Looks pretty good, I agree with @natewhite39 white about getting some proper weight lifting shoes, but more importantly you have an ankle mobility issue that needs addressed. I would spend some time working on that every day for a couple of weeks and see if you cant squat much better without the plates under your heels or the need for shoes with a heel lift. My other issue that I see, and I struggle with this myself, is you have a bit of a hip wink- where you lose the curve in your lumbar spine and your pelvis tilts, which puts stress on lumbar discs. Over time, and especially with increased load, this can cause disc herniation. There are many potential causes for this, if you are like me there may not be an easy fix, I have ankle mobility issues and deep hip sockets, both of which make it quite difficult to squat a#@ to grass with a neutral spine. First get your ankles more mobile, then reassess.

I recommend an FMS and/or working with someone in person. I agree the dorsiflexion is an issue and ought to be addressed. @Jmoneymillionare, try some calf stretches - there are lots, try a bunch and find ones that work for you where you can feel the tight things stretching. Try them, rest a minute or so, and try a set of squats and see if it helps. Keep the weight light and try to use your new-found flexibility in your calves.

I would like to see you squat holding onto the upright of a power rack while aiming for maximum depth with a neutral lumbar. If you try that, please post a video.

-S-

Greetings!!!
First, I agree with an FMS screen. Hip thoracic and shoulder mobility are of up most importance in a back squat.

Second, my advice is to learn to lift barefoot. Your feet need to feel the floor and they can't with squishy shoes.

Third, pull into a squat. How is your goblet or double KB front squat? You need to learn how to use your hip flexors.

Mostly, consider attending an SFL course or SFL certification. It is worth it. :)

Have a Merry Christmas!

I think you have some good feedback on those videos. I would just offer some words of encouragement. I have spent over a decade working on my squat form and every day I squat is no different. Several years in I thought I had it down and I was good to go. However as the weight increased I had to constantly reevaluate what I was doing and when I thought I had it figured out I decided to scrap my whole form and change from a low bar to a high bar squat. Squatting is a journey and someone's perfect squat form may not be your perfect squat form. Hang in there, it all takes time.

- Looks to me like you're a bit shy in depth for a few reps (reps 1 and 2 of the second video... reps 4 and onwards, you're hitting a much better depth).
- It's a bit far for me to say with confidence, but I didn't see much of a butt wink, if any. Your lower back looks very stable. Again, don't take the video so far though hehe.
- The best angle to judge everything is 45 degrees between back and side. You can judge butt wink and depth really well from there. Consider using it from now on. It's the angle of choice for coach Rippetoe.

As far as the plates are concerned, there's a few things you can try. First, you could widen your stance slightly. This will allow you to sit more in-between your feet, so you'll be able to stay balanced without needing so much dorsiflexion. That's a geeky way of explaining but try it out.
Another option is switching to the Low-bar Back Squat. Truth is, if you want to be hitting good depth, with correct back position, as a tall athlete, with the High Bar position... then you might need need Olympic shoes, or work big time on your ankle mobility so your knees can go well past your toes.

The Low-bar squat is far more forgiving and not as technically demanding. Maybe try it out. You might like it.

Just my 2 cents

I see a lot of great suggestions here and here's my .02.

In general I'd say your form looks pretty good. You can see the bar tend to shift forward near the bottom of the squat on a number of your reps. This makes it easier to let your butt come up first (rather than simultaneously with the shoulders) thereby transferring the load to your lower back and increasing the risk of injury. High bar squats should be very upright in the torso, especially compared to low bar squats. And if you do low bar be sure to have catches or a spotter. If things go south, you can't get out from under a low bar like you can from a high bar.

I'm not sure how many reps you are typically doing in your training but fatigue is fatal to form. The rest you take in these sets tells me you're doing too many reps. Do less reps and focus on staying tall, especially at the bottom.

And finally, the plates under your feet are not a bad idea but the shoes that @natewhite39 recommends are a much better idea. Running shoes are too squishy and unstable for your chosen exercise.

Best of luck!

Open up your stance a little, see if that helps. You seem too narrow. Breathing: "fill the canister" as Duffin says keep it full until completion. Pull into the squat. Good luck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom