all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
Am I using too much quad compare to glute to drive myself up?
Are there other things I need to improve?
Do you guys have any cue to get out of the bottom position more powerful? I cut ROM of at the bottom of squat in this clip because of fear.

Looks good to me. Right at parallel.

Cues to get out of the hole? Nothing other than "DRIVE!" or "UP!" or something equally simple. If you want to go deeper, drop 50lb or so off the bar and work on depth.

Decent footwear may help with depth if you want to go rock bottom. I do full squats with a flat sole, but it's absolutely easier to maintain proper mechanics w. a (good) heeled shoe (and practice of course).

So I failed at 145 kg, twice in this month
140 kg

145 kg

Any help with my form or any cue would be great.

Good work... My suggestions, just minor adjustments but may help: 1) take a bigger breath and push it down -- really brace and pressurize hard, 2) don't hesitate on the way down; you have it in both videos, a small hesitation between initial bend of hips and knees and descent, 3) pull the bar down into you, "become one with the bar" as Doc Hartle teaches in SFL. Then push, push, push, don't give up so easy. And just keep training on a good program... With that, good nutrition, and good recovery, you'll continue to get stronger.

I'd more or less echo what Anna said. You are purposely 'unlocking' the hips and knees before you begin the descent and this makes the whole thing a little disjointed/jolty - I think you lose tension (or at least smoothness) when you do this. I get why you do it, but it's wasted movement.

Stop missing reps. You are practicing losing to the weight. While I think 145 is definitely within your capability NOW, mentally maybe not - just groove 140kg for a while.

Is there any drill which could teach me that?

There is a quote, the SFL manual says (Kazmaier), when unracking the bar, "You should feel like yourself and the bar are one, joined together, and that squatting with it is like squatting with a natural extension of yourself."

Once you have done the walkout and are getting set before descent, "Look out. Take a deep breath, then hold and brace your abs HARD. Squeeze the glutes hard, crush grip the bar, and "pull" it down and visualizing bending the bar over your upper back. Create maximal body tension before the descent."

In my own experience, I've found that this cue of pulling the bar down does not work well for low bar back squats, but it does help me with high bar back squats.

All above apply. Alas, it seems you begin the unrack with your hips in posterior pelvic tilt. This, while activating your glutes, also causes your lower back to round before your descent. I’d highly suggest keeping the arch in your lower back and drawing in a great deal of IAP before unracking. That way there’s no jerky motion before you descend.

Also in regards to the lower portion. You should learn to pull yourself down into the hole instead of slowly yielding. The former is more active and confident while the second is insecure and passive. This is accomplished by sitting into your hip flexors and tightening them on the way down like doing a hanging knee raise (but think more like a sprinter doing high knee drills as in a proper HLR, your lower back should round) . This will also activate your glutes better for your ascent as an agonist contraction will be stronger right after its antagonist has released tension.

Squeezing the bar around your back as @Anna C has suggested willl help overall torso stability as will squeezing the life out of it, especially when coming out of the hole. We want to use every muscle possible to help the lift. Lastly, driving your back into the bar will assist the legs, as your torso will also be actively assisting the lift.

P.s. in finality I forgot to mention. Where is your breath???? You are at a max effort weight here!!! You should be sucking all the air from the room and tensing your entire midsection before your lift. This should be audibly present in your video. Not only before the unrack but also the descent, yet neither occurs. Especially without a belt, your breath and torso stability are CRUCIAL to a successful max lift and are interdependent on one another. Get some big air before a big lift!

Last edited:
The video angle might lie a bit, it seems that the weight is a bit more on the heel than mid foot.

Pulling the bar in your back muscles help. On breat, watching the video below recently helped me. Your form seems to have improved, I don't see much of that knees falling forward. Maybe better power balance now? Finally, you need to be stronger. Special exercises. I feel that Anderson SQ has helped with the bottom part of lift.

When are you exhaling?

I couldn't tell from the video

I usually start my exhale right at the sticking point, squeezing my abs even harder as I exhale, which helps get through the stick, and finish the exhale when I stand up.

I'm not going to say too much about form, because I'm not experienced with a high bar squat. I do them as accessories but I am not certain I do them perfectly right. Low bar is my thing... However, a few general comments:

- Lets talk about unracking the weight. You are not tight enough. Approach the bar. Get under the bar. Breath into your gut (or groin), 1 massive breath. As much air as possible. Your belly should pressurize and your abs should be fighting that pressure (preventing it from ballooning). Then white knuckle grip the bar. Put your shoulders back and down (visualize putting your lats in your back pocket). Try to bend the bar. Push your butt backwards and lift the weight off the rack.

- Take 1 small step back. You dont have to take a huge step, you are wasting energy. Let the weight settle for 1 or 2 seconds. Get tighter. Note you should still be on the same breath.

- Do the lift. I'm not going to comment on this because I dont want to give you bad advice. If this was a powerlifting squat, I would comment.

- when driving up the weight, if you exhale that is a leak. Exhale when you are done or when you are certain you got it. At this point, you have only completed 1 breath. I mention this because you are able to get more air in (more air =more intra abdominal pressure) before racking the weight. A breath with hundreds of pounds on your back wont be the same and you wont be as strong. It is obviously a different story when doing multiple reps with sub maximal weight.

- Mindset. Dont let failure enter your head. Only think about completing the lift and visualizing the lift (before you do the lift)

- No shoes?

- Quit failing. And dont spend too much time lifting near your limit.

Good luck to you. You will break through. If there is anything g I can help with let me know.

Regards,

Eric

I'm not going to say too much about form, because I'm not experienced with a high bar squat.
To piggy back on this:

Why high bar?

Watch some high bar back squats done by Olympic lifters - it's much more up and down than yours. You seem a bit in-between on your squat groove. Here are some - they start less than a minute in

-S-

Watch some high bar back squats done by Olympic lifters - it's much more up and down than yours. You seem a bit in-between on your squat groove. Here are some - they start less than a minute in
What happens with the advice "Don't try to copy the form of the pros?"

Also, Tian Tao and I are in same height, but he weights 26 kg more than me. I would feel strange if my form looks like his.

high bar back squats done by Olympic lifters - it's much more up and down
The bar is so high above traps that he's able to be so vertical. We know the key is to keep the bar and centre of mass above midfoot.

Your proportions, e.g. length of thigh and length of back, ankle mobility, define the optimal angles of joints, from where your optimal bar position is found. This place should be then modified according to the strenth levels of different body parts, or the body parts strengthened to match your form. For max result the latter, I suppose. How to define this, I don't have a clue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom