all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Squat Mobility

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stephen1989

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi Everyone,

I have put up another post in the Kettlebell section but this is a separate issue so I thought I should put this post here.
My Squat mobility is very poor. I cannot get comfortably to depth without assistance (KB/Wall). I cannot even get to parallel performing a broomstick back squat. I feel that my problem is inflexible hips as the lower I squat, the more uncomfortable it becomes on what I assume are the hips (sides of my glute area) although I don't know anything about anatomy and I am not a professional so I am just guessing.
I would ideally like to, in the future, be able to perform clean/strong/comfortable body weight squats to full depth to maintain the basic pattern/mobility into old age. Perhaps even being able to do bodyweight Overhead Squats with a broomstick one day. I plan on doing some bodyweight "Mobility Squats" either between my Strength sets or after sessions. This would include using a wall to groove the squat pattern to a comfortable depth and also sitting in the lowest comfortable position for some time. I am confident with the technique queues for the squat (Bracing, weight in Glutes/Hips, feet roughly shoulder width apart, toes slightly pointed out, spine in neutral position etc.) however I am not sure if I need structure/progression for this type of exercise in order to improve mobility/flexibility consistently over time? Is there a "Program" or routine I can follow to achieve this goal without having to devote hours a week on a thousand different mobility/flexibility drills? I just want something simple and quick I can do between my strength sets if possible. Perhaps total of 5-10 mins of work most days if at all possible. I read somewhere slowly working towards sitting in the bottom of the bodyweight squat for 10 mins a day will allow me to squat comfortably to depth for reps. Is this true for most people?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and thank you in advance for any feedback/Advice.

-SA

@Coyotl
I watched the videos and it was exactly what I asked for and am looking for so thank you for referring me. I tried the Quadruped rocking that was suggested in the video above by @Anna C and it felt and worked amazingly. For now I am going to work on the rocking and also the ankle mobility drill in the video you suggested everyday and track my progress. Once I get more mobile I will start adding in extra drills like the Superhero Complex. I just don't want to overdo it to begin with. I will post my results once I feel I have made significant progress.
Thanks again for your time.

@Coyotl
I watched the videos and it was exactly what I asked for and am looking for so thank you for referring me. I tried the Quadruped rocking that was suggested in the video above by @Anna C and it felt and worked amazingly. For now I am going to work on the rocking and also the ankle mobility drill in the video you suggested everyday and track my progress. Once I get more mobile I will start adding in extra drills like the Superhero Complex. I just don't want to overdo it to begin with. I will post my results once I feel I have made significant progress.
Thanks again for your time.
Sounds good boss. Happy I was able to help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom