all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

solarbear

Level 6 Valued Member
Ok. I'm 47 and would like a squat program to follow to take my squat from 160kg to 180kg.

I have my reasons, but to me this has always been a sign of strength with a barbell.

Recently, I have been doing cluster sets 23523523 on Sunday and 5 sets of 2 working up to one heavyish double @85=90%. It seems to work to some extent, but the wear on my body is showing. My hips have been especially stiff on this program. I am looking for something to follow that lays out loads, sets and reps. I would like to run it 2x per week as that is what fits my family schedule, Sun and Thurs. I am also open to perhaps squatting one day and deadlifting another if that would be better. Any suggestions?

I am also looking to run a kettlebell clean and press 2-3 days per week for fitness and my upper body.

I do something kind of similar. I squat 1 day per week. Lots of ways to do this, but most important...

but the wear on my body is showing

DELOAD! Deload often. Especially when pushing hard. Every 3rd or 4th or 5th (at most) week go real easy on the load and volume (really really easy like a warm-up weight).

Deload before you even get the chance to feel beat up. Don't fall into the trap of pushing harder and harder and harder to achieve your goal (and sacrifice your health). But building strength, real strength, requires intelligent planning with enough recovery to account for the stress. Especially if your time window is "the rest of your life" and not just 4-6 weeks.

Eric

DELOAD! Deload often. Especially when pushing hard. Every 3rd or 4th or 5th (at most) week go real easy on the load and volume (really really easy like a warm-up weight).

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I deloaded. I am going to have to program it in again. I feel like I am being a wimp, deloading, even though I know it is a good idea.

That's a good, concrete goal. Do you have a time frame?

Apart from your 1RM, do you have up to date rep maxes with other sets? Having them would make it easier to track progress.

Programming wise I would recommend you to find out what your weak points are and focus on them.

Twice a week training sounds good. Having some more variety should help the wear and tear and would also likely be better regarding the weak points.

Regarding the deloads mentioned by @william bad butt , you can work variety into them so you in a sense get more work in. The first week of a new block is often considerably lighter. I like to combine it with the deload.

That's a good, concrete goal. Do you have a time frame?

Apart from your 1RM, do you have up to date rep maxes with other sets? Having them would make it easier to track progress.

I did 150 for a very clean double. Just last week. I'd have to look at my little whiteboard for my other rep maxes. When I do something new, I put it on a little whiteboard, so I have most rep maxes from 1-10 written down. I think it was 135 or140x5 and 145x3 as the other milestones that I remember.

I am hoping to perhaps hit 170 by October and 180 by end of the year. Not sure how attainable or unattainable that is.

Last edited:
DELOAD! Deload often. Especially when pushing hard. Every 3rd or 4th or 5th (at most) week

Periodization Training

This method is cyclical deloading.

It is Planned Progressive Loading over a number of weeks.

The final week of the training program being pushed to the limit or near to the limit in an exercise.

Thus, there is some validity to, "What doesn't kill, make you stronger".

Length of Training Cycle

This is deteremined by "Training Age", how long an indiviual has been training.

Novice Lifter

Thse individual take longer to adapt. Thus, they can perform the same training program/exerise for a longer period; around 6 week before they need to start over with a new training cycle.

The new training cycle starts off with a light, easy load. The load/intenisty progressively increases each week, with the final week being pushed to the limit or near to it. Then then another training cycle follows with the same progression.

Advanced Lifter

Individual who have a greater Training Age, who have been lifting longer, adapt quickly to an exercise program training cycle.

These individual need to follow the same training concept that Novice Lifters do. However, Advance Lifter need to change their program up, aproximately every 3 - 4 weeks.

A good general rule is that if you stop making progress in your training program or begin to lose ground, it is time to change it.

Active Recovery

This is part of what Periodization Training is about.

Dropping the weight down and starting a new training program, the body to recovers faster; become stronger over the couse of a few weeks.

Active Recovery with lighter loads, increase blood flow to the muscles; promoting recovery.

Passive Recovery

This means taking time off from training, doing nothing.

While it promotes recovery, research has demonstrated the Active Recovery is more effective.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength

This is one of the keys to ensuring inceases in strength and muscle mass.

Abstract
This study investigated the effects of varying strength exercises and/or loading scheme on muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and maximum strength after four strength training loading schemes: constant intensity and constant exercise (CICE), constant intensity and varied exercise (CIVE), varied intensity and constant exercise (VICE), varied intensity and varied exercise (VIVE). Forty-nine individuals were allocated into five groups: CICE, CIVE, VICE, VIVE, and control group (C). Experimental groups underwent a twice a week training for 12 weeks. Squat 1RM was assessed at baseline and after the training period. Whole quadriceps muscle and its heads CSA were also obtained pre- and post-training. The whole quadriceps CSA increased significantly (p<0.05) in all of the experimental groups from pre- to post-test in both the right and left legs: CICE: 11.6% and 12.0%; CIVE: 11.6% and 12.2%; VICE: 9.5% e 9.3% and VIVE: 9.9% and 11.6%, respectively. The CIVE and VIVE groups presented hypertrophy in all of the quadriceps muscle heads (p<0.05), while the CICE and VICE groups did not present hypertrophy in the vastus medialis and rectus femoris (RF), and in the RF muscles, respectively (p>0.05). The CIVE group had greater strength increments than the other training groups (Effect size confidence limit of the difference -ESCLdiff CICE: 1.41 - 1.56; VICE: 2.13 - 2.28; VIVE: 0.59 - 0.75). Our findings suggest: a) CIVE is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals; b) as long as the training intensity reaches an alleged threshold, muscle hypertrophy is similar regardless of the training intensity and exercise variation.

Changing Exericses

T
his can be as smiple as going from a High Back Narrow Squat to a Low Bar Wide Stance Squat.

Think of them like Ice Cream; one is Vanilla the other is Chocolate Ice Cream.

Both are Ice Cream but have a different flavor.

Both work the same muscle groups but from a different angle; increase strength in one enhance the strrength of the other, when you go back to it.

Ok. I'm 47 and would like a squat program to follow to take my squat from 160kg to 180kg.

I have my reasons, but to me this has always been a sign of strength with a barbell.

Recently, I have been doing cluster sets 23523523 on Sunday and 5 sets of 2 working up to one heavyish double @85=90%. It seems to work to some extent, but the wear on my body is showing. My hips have been especially stiff on this program. I am looking for something to follow that lays out loads, sets and reps. I would like to run it 2x per week as that is what fits my family schedule, Sun and Thurs. I am also open to perhaps squatting one day and deadlifting another if that would be better. Any suggestions?

I am also looking to run a kettlebell clean and press 2-3 days per week for fitness and my upper body.

When I was in my 40s* squatting just 1x/week with heavy (for me) weights would make me stiff.

The deloads are a good idea. Here are some more.

1) Do more to dissipate soreness and stiffness right after squatting. DB romanian deadlifts, easy cycling (stationary bike or road bike), variations on pigeon pose (yoga). Do the pigeon pose variations nightly anyway.

2) Make sure that on your warmup sets, you feel like you are moving smoothly and loosely before adding weight for the next set. For me, the very low rep warmups to preserve my top set didn't do this, nor did they preserve my top set. Don't stop a warm-up set until you feel you are moving well with that weight, or some people will stick with the low reps but stick at a weight to do more little warmup sets with it.

3) Consider doing a bigger range of reps - don't be doing essentially a test every week. I can't find the quote now, but Boris Sheiko said in an interview to rarely do a 90% lift, that it took too much out of the body and the mind, set the lifter up for injury. Words to that effect. There are others who have said similar. Maybe try doing some rep cycling (e.g., 8, 5, 2) or something like the 10/20/Life system that Eric (William Bad Butt) uses.

I did hit my all time best squatting back then, here is the system I used then. Not saying it is best or was even best for me then. But here is the key idea behind it - you now , me then (in 40s, going for all time best) - your body is going to adapt slowly. So I simply took more time at each weight. For me it would look like this after warmups.

wk 1. 145 kg x 6 - 7 getting used to new weight
wk 2. 145 kg x 7 did this last week, hard but acceptable
wk 3. 145 kg x 7 did this last week, not bad
wk 4. 145 kg x 7 well this really isn't that bad

wk 5. 150 kg x 6 - 7 will use this week for this month...

I was able to stay on this for months. If I'd had a deadline, like you are setting, it probably would not have been ideal. But aside from the lower body stiffness, I felt fine. Had I done more of the stuff to alleviate stiffness...oh well. No use crying over spilt plates.

* It hurts to write that.

I do something kind of similar. I squat 1 day per week. Lots of ways to do this, but most important...
Deload before you even get the chance to feel beat up. Don't fall into the trap of pushing harder and harder and harder to achieve your goal (and sacrifice your health). But building strength, real strength, requires intelligent planning with enough recovery to account for the stress. Especially if your time window is "the rest of your life" and not just 4-6 weeks.
Do heed this advice. 3 weeks is about as long as most people can really really push hard (assuming no pharmaceutical help) and make gains. As others have mention I think - one heavy day and one light recovery/mobility day per week should get you there. I'm not really sure what all you've been doing for your hips, but my hips have been happy with the mixture of stretches (hip flexor, tactical frog, downward dog, straddle, etc), loaded carries, windmills, Bulgarian split squats, GHR, etc that I do. I can write up something more articulate if there's interest.

Eric

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing.

I barbell squat 3 days a week during the on-season, and mobility squat the other 4 days a week....but I religiously take my deload weeks every 5th or 6th week.

During deload weeks, I'll do things like 65 kg ATG 30 second pause squats and BFR split squats.

As others have mention I think - one heavy day and one light recovery/mobility day per week should get you there. I'm not really sure what all you've been doing for your hips, but my hips have been happy with the mixture of stretche

I do this every day. I find it great. Guy in the video is a tool.

I also do some paused goblet squats. Throughout the day.

And some more specific stretching before working out.

It has been about 12 weeks since I deloaded. Maybe more. My body is enjoying this week where i have been just deadlifting instead. Feels better already. Going to do a 3 week on 1 deload sort of thing from now on.

I do this every day. I find it great. Guy in the video is a tool.

I also do some paused goblet squats. Throughout the day.

And some more specific stretching before working out.

It has been about 12 weeks since I deloaded. Maybe more. My body is enjoying this week where i have been just deadlifting instead. Feels better already. Going to do a 3 week on 1 deload sort of thing from now on.

Jeff needs to work on his frog more and getting those legs at a 90 deg angle. ;)

Yeah, joking about corona doesn't make him witty to me... Those are pretty good. I don't tolerate pretzels and Bretzels well, but do 'tactical frogs' (which include what he calls the 'NSFW stretch') and others to cover the same bases.
Most of the things I would do on any given day is covered here from 11mins in:

Yeah, joking about corona doesn't make him witty to me...
Yeah, I've never got his humor. Some of his exercise variations are good, but I don't have a lot of time for him. Stumbled on this video by accident one day. It takes 5 min and seems to target a lot my problem areas: general loosening movement, two movements to stretch lower back, hip flexor and cyatic nerve areas, and another one to open up your hips. I actually feel 15 years younger after doing it and it targets all the areas that give middle-aged men issues. If it took 11 min I wouldn't do it, but 5 or 6 I have no excuses.

I do some paused goblet squat variations every day as well. And before I work out I have a little routine I do to help with mobility.

Admittedly, deloading has been a big issue.

I need a program that is going to alleviate my stress and just give me something to do. I've actually been thinking of running The Bear for squats on Sun and Thurs, Sunday pushing myself and Thursday just taking it easy and doing 3-4 of the 80% sets. But I am open to any suggestions.

You could go crazy and do Smolov or Smolov jr. I did the Smolov jr. program with deadlifts years ago and it worked great. The trick was to turn it into a 4 week program 3 days a week instead of a 3 week program 4 days a week. Invest in Icy Hot!

Admittedly, deloading has been a big issue.

I need a program that is going to alleviate my stress and just give me something to do.
I get it. That's why I pretty much do something everyday. I try to wave the exercise frequency but yeah, I have a tendency when things start to grind to try to grind harder - not the best strategy for older dudes.

You could go crazy and do Smolov or Smolov jr. I did the Smolov jr. program with deadlifts years ago and it worked great. The trick was to turn it into a 4 week program 3 days a week instead of a 3 week program 4 days a week. Invest in Icy Hot!

Possibly. I could also do it as a 8 week program 2 days a week. I am 47 years old and have a lot of milage on my body from football and other sports.

Eric
Thank you!
I had great success when being "inconsistent with training" when it was intuitive deloading.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom