all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat Standups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl in Dover

Level 5 Valued Member
Training again today and thought that I'd pass this along....

I've noticed when squatting and progressing towards heavier weights (95%+), it's a real shocker to the system to stand up in the rack with near max loads. In an effort to "re-arrange the mindset" I worked on just standing up with supramaximal loads today. Walking out with supramaximal loads will come later, probably after Regionals.

First thing, whenever attempting any lifting make sure all safety protocals are in place. J-hooks firmly seated, safety bars/straps optimally placed and secure, phone nearby, mind and body prepped, appropriate footwear and area cleared of obstacles.

Working with my 95kg body weight and current 117.5kg PR my workout went like this.

I set a tabata timer for 20 seconds work and 60 seconds rest x 10 reps.
Loaded the bar appropriately and assumed my regular squat position. Standing up with the load and holding position for 20 seconds, not moving. Safely lowered load and then rested 60 seconds. Continued for 10 reps. Took a few minutes and loaded bar for next set. Continued until completed.
My work sets are below. Adapt to your own strength level and goals as needed.

1 set. 20w/60r x 10 @ 70kg
2 set. 20w/60r x 10 @ 120kg
3 set. 20w/60r x 10 @ 140kg
4 set. 20w/60r x 10 @ 143kg

143kg is 1-1/2 my bodyweight (my squat goal).
20180729_164802.jpg

The time under tension should help the overall strength, and will certainly make the regular squat session later today seem easy!

Carl in Dover

I know guys like Brooks Kubik are big proponents of heavy partials. I don't know what he would say about using the tabata timer though, as most of his writing that I've read is more in the vein of supermaximal loads and low rep ranges.

@sizzlefuzz ....for me it's more for regulation than a race. The timer makes me aware to hold for 20 seconds , and I limit my rest to 60 seconds. 10 reps wasn't so bad, but if I increase the weight I'll be sure to look into the advice of lower reps.

OTOH, tonights squats did seem easier. After those 143kg standups earlier, my 5X5@100kg wasn't so bad. Usually when the program calls for a substantial weight increase its like "ooooh...this is some heavy $]=I+ !"

Carl in Dover

I think it's an awesome idea to try, though I was just trying to point out that if you didn't get the desired result it might be better to pursue more of an "orthodox" approach. Pardon my incomplete wording on the previous post. I must say, I am totally jealous of your home gym setup (if that is a home gym?) with the power rack & shiny KG Rogue plates.

Carl
Supramax lifting is a great way to get accustomed to heavy weight and to practice the unracking portion of the squat, as long as you are practicing the pretension and bracing techniques. I believe you are doing this to make heavy weights feel lighter?

Hi Carl- do you carry on with your regular squat training after the 'standups'? If so, what is your rest period? Very interested in this technique, as I am just starting a new cycle of Zercher squats and the change from back squats is huge.

Carl
Supramax lifting is a great way to get accustomed to heavy weight and to practice the unracking portion of the squat, as long as you are practicing the pretension and bracing techniques. I believe you are doing this to make heavy weights feel lighter?

Oh definitely bracing and tension, I practice trying to do 1 rep at a time, all the time. Even on things like deadlift reps, after each lift I let go of the bar and reset hands, feet, tension, etc.

Carl in Dover

Hi Carl- do you carry on with your regular squat training after the 'standups'? If so, what is your rest period? Very interested in this technique, as I am just starting a new cycle of Zercher squats and the change from back squats is huge.

@KIWI5 ..I did take about an hours rest in between while Christine took some pics for me and I wrote the first post.
After that hour or so rest before my regular scheduled training (currently Stronglift 5x5 session 12). I felt extra strong and pumped!

I suppose it could work for Zerchers also. I would highly recommend adjusting the J-hooks and safety pins according. Remember, its just a "hold".

Carl in Dover

Hey, @Carl in Dover, I haven't gotten serious in my training for it this summer, but maybe you want to join me in attempting the Inman Mile sometime. Think of it as standing with a heavy weight for time, except that you're walking. :)

-S-

I'm going to try this 'standing hold' with the Zercher Squat. One of the challenges with the Zercher is trying to get a deep belly breath, just standing there with a heavier weight practicing breathing,while maintaining good form, will be very beneficial I reckon. Plus it will be some fantastic neural training with heavier than normal loads. Love it.

I like overload work a lot. It has been a constant part of my programming for years.

Walkouts and Pin Squats are great to build strength and confidence with heavier weights. I like to finish with a few heavy walkouts. I have also used Pin Squats lowering the height and waving the load for progression.

Rock, Iron, Steel and Dinosaur Training cover this topic well.

Overloading before the bulk of your work has a priming effect similar to plyometrics. I prefer to use it as a finisher after my main lift.

@Geoff Chafe what % over 1RM do you suggest?

Carl in Dover

For Walkouts I add an extra plate to each side, and maybe ramp up a bit with a few 10’s or 5’s.

For Pin Squats it depends at what height you set your pins. The less the range of motion the more weight you can handle. The lower or closer the your sticking point the less weight you can use.

Be conservative until you find what works. You can always add weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom