all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Luigib

Level 3 Valued Member
I follow a bodyweight routine, however I have a question. To work the legs, you advise me: Bodyweight squats, lunges? Or goblet squat with kettlebell and lunges? What would be the best way to build stronger legs?
Luigi.

What would be the best way to build stronger legs
Not the best way but better than your list is heavy barbell squat. Zercher/Front/Back...Bodyweight exercise is not optimal for leg strength IMO.

Hello,

@Luigib
There are a lot of options. Here is a nice one by SFG Aleks Salkins :

If you can not do one of the move, then a regression of it is possible, assuming you get the reps in.

By the way, stronger for what ? In absolute, you will hardly find better way than bb.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' , @q.Hung Thanks for both answers. Stronger in general and without using the bar for the moment because I have no access and I am more weight of the body than bar, but in the sense of mobility, strength, etc. Which would be better between goblet squat and bodyweight squat for now?

Hello,

@Luigib
If strength is the goal, then a goblet squat will be better because there is additional resistance. But it has to be done with full ROM (butt almost on the ground) and good form (straight back, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I follow a bodyweight routine, however I have a question. To work the legs, you advise me: Bodyweight squats, lunges? Or goblet squat with kettlebell and lunges? What would be the best way to build stronger legs?
Luigi.
You don't have to choose between squats or lunges. You're familiar with the Get Strong program? If you wanted to stick with bodyweight maybe try something like the Phase 2 programming. Warm up with a couple sets of bodyweight squats followed by single leg work - lunges/split-squats/step-ups/pistol-progression.

Which would be better between goblet squat and bodyweight squat for now?
In that case, both. Treat the goblet squat as a tension skill and to build the form for heavier squat in the future. Single leg bodyweight exercise to overload one legs, do it with enough reps and sets for hypertrophy.

I will try deeper my answer when I get back from work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom