all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SS + BJJ = Hip Flexor pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dat Do

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi there,

I've been doing SS about 3-5 times a week along with 10-11 sessions of BJJ. Lately I have noticed a pulsing sharp pain in my left hip flexor sometimes when I swing (full extension) and even just sitting down. It gets aggravated more so after BJJ.

Anyone have any experience on the matter?

Thanks,

Dat

Man that is a lot of training! You’re an animal. I found that doing S & S twice a week was more than enough to keep me strong, powerful, and balanced when my main goal was focusing on bjj and getting better at bjj.

Are you stretching often and/or doing yoga?

Haha yeah I go to every available class. I'm sure the instructor is sick of seeing me every time lol.

I do sprinkle in stretches/mobility throughout the day but perhaps I ought to start doing it before and after training. I could try less frequency with SS but how would one know when the frequency is beyond your recovery abilities? I want to maximise the training but with all the BJJ training (I might even add boxing and wrestling classes 2x a week) should I be aiming for minimum effective dose or pushing myself with SS?

Haha yeah I go to every available class. I'm sure the instructor is sick of seeing me every time lol.

I do sprinkle in stretches/mobility throughout the day but perhaps I ought to start doing it before and after training. I could try less frequency with SS but how would one know when the frequency is beyond your recovery abilities? I want to maximise the training but with all the BJJ training (I might even add boxing and wrestling classes 2x a week) should I be aiming for minimum effective dose or pushing myself with SS?
I would say you know the frequency is above your recovery ability when your hip flexors are constantly hurting lol. I would dial down the S & S to two times a week and start there.

Hey!! I was in the same boat as you last year. Competitive Blue Belt and was going at least 5-6x a week plus 3-4 S&S (16/24kg bell). That volume was just way too much for my poor hips and I developed severe hip flexor pain (specifically in the piriformis) so much so that I couldn't sleep at night.

I reduced training intensity a bit and added more drilling only sessions but the difference for me was recovery (3-4 sauna/cold sessions a week) and LOTS of stretching specific to the QL's, Psoas and hip flexors. I specifically follow a fascial stretching method called ELDOA but any good modality will do. These are good stretches to start.

90/90 Stretch
Brettzel Stretch
Sitting Side stretch from S&S book

And the game changer for me - stretching the Psoas 2x a day
ELDOA Exercises to Increase Flexibility, Improve Posture ...
www.youtube.com › watch

Hope that Helps!!

Hey!! I was in the same boat as you last year. Competitive Blue Belt and was going at least 5-6x a week plus 3-4 S&S (16/24kg bell). That volume was just way too much for my poor hips and I developed severe hip flexor pain (specifically in the piriformis) so much so that I couldn't sleep at night.

I reduced training intensity a bit and added more drilling only sessions but the difference for me was recovery (3-4 sauna/cold sessions a week) and LOTS of stretching specific to the QL's, Psoas and hip flexors. I specifically follow a fascial stretching method called ELDOA but any good modality will do. These are good stretches to start.

90/90 Stretch
Brettzel Stretch
Sitting Side stretch from S&S book

And the game changer for me - stretching the Psoas 2x a day
ELDOA Exercises to Increase Flexibility, Improve Posture ...
www.youtube.com › watch

Hope that Helps!!

Hey thanks for your detailed response!

Just to clarify you actually didn't reduce training sessions just intensity?

I watch the videos, I'll have to definitely incorporate those stretches. Unfortunately I don't have access to sauna/ice baths but maybe I'll just do contrast showers after training. I'm in the shower after as it is.

Hey @Dat Do yes I kept the training frequency the same since I had signed up for a tournament. In hindsight this was a mistake as I ended up injured (back) and couldn't compete anyways. Though the injury itself was an accident I attribute this to training volume for sure. You live and you learn.

Firstly I'd assess why you are training so hard. Is it for mental toughness?Is it for technique? Is it for strength? Or is it for a competition? I've learned (the hard way) its very hard to skill up in all three at the same time.

But anyways back to your question. Yes definitely stretch more (morning and night). The sauna/ice bath is nice but only like 10% of the overall equation. Add some horse stance work or other hip strengtheners on your off days. Go to classes and drill but don't spar or spar with the white belts and do positional stuff. Designate only 1 or 2 high intensity days and don't roll until you're tired and feel dead (though that is part of the fun).

In the end there's a good chance you will probably have to cut back but I don't know your body so you will have to make that decision.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom