all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Stalling after 5 weeks of the FPP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wurst

First Post
About me: 24M around 199cm 95kg currently doing 9 reps of BW+15kg pull-ups.

I started the Fighter Program at 4 reps, and have followed it to the letter, with an occasional extra day off, the start was difficult but I managed to make progress completely according to the plan.

When I got to my 9th rep week, the 9th rep was pretty difficult to reach, I'd feel out of breath and weak by the time I reached it but I managed to finish the week same as any other.

However when it was time to do 10, and I took an extra day off just in case, I found that I simply couldn't do it, which I wasn't completely surprised by but it sure put me out of it. I have since repeated the week and after that didn't work I started doing just 5 AMRAP rests with a day rest between each workout, nothing is working.

I don't think its fatigue, since I have taken several rest days and generally feel pretty good to go every time I work out, but reaching the 9th rep set after set for 2 weeks now without any progress it is starting to erode my confidence and motivation.

Do I up the weight to say +20kg to bring my reps down and start all over? Do I need to rest even more? Do I need more volume? I have no idea where to go from here.

I would try both sides of the spectrum. One side being to not use any weight or even use an assistance band to get the volume really high. The other, to bring the weight up significantly and work on <3x reps or even heavy negatives only.

The Chief says, "The system is intended to be used for four weeks." Then he goes on to say, "If you run into a snag with this routine, back off a week and build up again. If you hit the wall again, switch to another routine."

Either way, near maximal training for more than four weeks can take its toll. I would do something else for a month.

Those quotes come from The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited | StrongFirst

Thank you both for your replies.
I would try both sides of the spectrum. One side being to not use any weight or even use an assistance band to get the volume really high. The other, to bring the weight up significantly and work on <3x reps or even heavy negatives only.

Do you have any experience doing this kind of programming? Is it too much if I do one day heavy one day light? Or maybe try to do both the same day with a rest day in between?

2 weeks of heavy low volume
1 week of light high volume

2 weeks of heavy low volume
1 week of light high volume
I've also had success with three weeks of moving forward and one week easy. I took it very gradually, e.g., when I'd start the next 3-week cycle, I'd just start where I was at in week #2 of the previous one, so I was adding only 1 or 2 reps per month to my max, and this was sustainable over a period of months.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom