all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stamina

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

As a boxer, I noticed HIT may help a lot, but only for some specific stages of a fight (long assaults/defences)

Low intensity helps for transition stages during the fight (footwork, throw only two the kicks/punches (Basically,one or to combinations)) and during waiting periods.

HIT only can not be the base of the cardio training because it only develops a fraction of the VO2max. Being more accurate, it can works for a beginner / untrained person, or for a peak.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think I’m genetically more capable of endurance related exercise than strength.
I think there is a test that people have done to identify whether they are naturally a power athlete or endurance athlete. I think the results are often counter to what you'd think like bigger people being more endurance athletes.

That being said, an aerobic base seems to stick around for a much longer period of time(from my own experience) than strength adaptations.
I have not found that to be the case at all, and I'll argue, based on both personal experience my recollections of what I've read on the subject, that the opposite of what you say it true for most people.

Speaking personally, I recall reading that one lost 50% of aerobic conditioning - I know, vague terms and meaningless numbers - after two weeks of not doing aerobic exercise. That agrees with my experience.

Strength, on the other hand, even if you lose a lot of it, never seems to go away and strength training seems, at least to me, to change a person forever. Of course, if your strength training is largely based on hypertrophy and you drop 50 lbs, well, then, sure, you'll lose a lot of strength that way, but the skill of strength is really like riding a bicycle - once you learn, you don't forget how.

-S-

Hello,

As a boxer, I noticed HIT may help a lot, but only for some specific stages of a fight (long assaults/defences)

Low intensity helps for transition stages during the fight (footwork, throw only two the kicks/punches (Basically,one or to combinations)) and during waiting periods.

HIT only can not be the base of the cardio training because it only develops a fraction of the VO2max. Being more accurate, it can works for a beginner / untrained person, or for a peak.

Kind regards,

Pet'

This ^ . Helps with more rapid recovery from higher intensity periods and to prolong the duration you can go all out.

Definitely gotta have a good amount of zone 2 work or you won't be much good for very long.

Jogging and jump rope.

Hello,

Plenty of stuff here, but also in the website in general:
Boxing Training Article Thread

As a reminder, Jack Dempsey, who was one one the greatest boxer of all time, was a big proponent of regular roadwork, and also hill spint (on the top of roadwork).

In all the cases, stamina is built in the octogon, in the ring, etc... Physical training never has to be the priority. If you consider Joe Frazier's routine (his book "Boxing like the pro" is excellent), you will be surprised by how "reduced" is the physical training per se. Some sit ups (done boxing style though), push ups, pull ups, that's it. Otherwise, everything is secured by regular heavy bag, speed bag, shadow, sparring, etc...

Most of really old school fighter were not only "strong" but above all "tough". This means they had physically demanding jobs so they already got some natural and functional muscles and conditioning. A nice and good way to reproduce that is doing macebell training, for let's say 20 to 30 minutes everyday, without almost stopping.

I did this for a while with excellent results. This transfers very well to fight because it works the whole body and the cardio respiratory system, plus coordination and agility / mobility. However, it does very few to raw strength.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
This is exactly how I was training physically at what I consider to have been my best "fighting trim".
Double stick drills w/ footwork, jumprope, heavybag, easy pace running with the dog, double ended striking bag for speed work.

Hello,

I just watched a documentary about Cuban boxers (so a very specific boxing style and training).

Everyday, 45 minutes of roadwor, at least 10 rounds of shadows, 20 of heavy bag and full power sparring for rounds.

Otherwise, circuit training based on biceps curls, bench presses, clean, DL and OVH. They are done on a circuit style (10 reps, very explosive), no rest between exercise. The circuit is done at least 4 times. There are also multiple sit ups and "Russian twists" done with medecine ball.

So most of the stamina is based on simple things: roadwork and bags.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Not properly stamina related, however, if the routine is done without any rest, one can still get some conditioning while getting an interesting muscle control (and also muscle toning)'
ประเทศไทย/Thailand/USA: Taiji -San Shou, Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, Fighting Arts, Cross Training: Inner Muscle Training of Boxers with David Bolton

Here is the Sandow's routine per se. 5 pounds dumbells are more than enough Eugen Sandow's Workout Routine | Rippeder

The Lost Secret to a Great Body | Weight Training | Physical Exercise

Kind regards,

Pet'

Like JCavin, I have a large frame for a runner, but can go and go at a weight of 210 lbs. and above. Some call us Clydesdales, ahem.

I feel like I’m always trying to find the right combination of spinning plates (strength, running, bodyweight skills, competition), but HIRT may be just the thing to start the year off right.

Hello,

Yesterday, I had a mastercass with a multiple former world champion in boxing (Richard Sylla).

Regarding stamina, he told us to keep things basic:
- easy pace running (5-6 easy running sessions a week, for about 45 minutes)
- jumping rope with intervals (20s all out, 20s of recovery, during 6-8 minutes)
- footwork with speed, plus bag work (speedbag, heavybag) and shadow. This must be done everyday day, for at least 10 minutes
- as much sparring as possible.

Basically, if there is less sparring, do more jumpiing rope with interval. If there is less jumping rope, more sparring is required.

Consdering "physical preparation", once again, he adivsed us to keep things very simple, to create routine. Then, the work has to be done daily:

Core:
He advocates hard style crunches, with a full ab bracing (better for the lumbars), as if we had to take a blow. The exhale has to be done as we get up. To make things tougher, a 2 to 5 seconds can be done on the top of the crunch. Lateral crunches obey by the same rule. He aims for 20 repetitions. A lot of hardstyle hollow rock. This entire routine has to be done daily, for about 10 minutes.

Arms:
Push ups are his staple (we was not relying on weights). Slow eccentrics and fast concentric, 3 to 5 sets of 15. This can be considered as very little volume, however, he is assuming there is a lot of bag work and sparring.
Same for pull ups

Legs:
Legs are already taxed by the running and also the training per se. So he told us to do jumping squats. Someone ramdomly makes a beep and then we do 1 jumping squat, for 5 minutes. Betweeen the squats, easy running or footwork

Kind regards,

Pet'

Like JCavin, I have a large frame for a runner, but can go and go at a weight of 210 lbs. and above. Some call us Clydesdales, ahem...
I used to race triathlons in the "Clydesdale" division. HIRT works well for us bigger guys especially with really short distances at max power with full recovery. An alternative I really like to HIRT is 600m [1' rest] 300m [5'+ rest] 3-5 times total.

@pet' , that's cool that a former world champion boxer came in and shared his knowledge with you guys.

Legs:
Legs are already taxed by the running and also the training per se. So he told us to do jumping squats. Someone randomly makes a beep and then we do 1 jumping squat, for 5 minutes. Between the squats, easy running or footwork

With my case, I needed to squat. The reason being was that after the third round of sparring, my legs felt like jell-o and I didn't realize that my legs lacked endurance strength even though I've been running a lot. Of course, this was before I started doing kettle bell swing and I'm curious if the kettle bell swing would helped with my leg endurance.

@pet' , that's cool that a former world champion boxer came in and shared his knowledge with you guys.

With my case, I needed to squat. The reason being was that after the third round of sparring, my legs felt like jell-o and I didn't realize that my legs lacked endurance strength even though I've been running a lot. Of course, this was before I started doing kettle bell swing and I'm curious if the kettle bell swing would helped with my leg endurance.

Patrick McKeown suggests jelly legs might be a result of diaphragmatic fatigue stealing blood from the legs. 28: The Way to Breathe – The Oxygen Advantage with Patrick McKeown

Hello,

@Waffles03
Yes we were quite lucky ! He gave us plenty of tips.

Kb swings will help you for your heart conditioning, but also for the muscular endurance. This endurance will not be specific to legs. This is why this move is so interesting. You will have a lot of endurance in the legs, but also plenty of power.

Skipping rope can also drastically improve your boxing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I read, that if you want to raise stamina, you need to run at least 30 minutes. So with time stamina will raise, and person can run further

Lately, I have been spending some time reflecting on the definition of stamina and endurance to better identify what I want to target with training.
  1. endurance being maximizing time under tension (i.e., increasing snatch reps from 5 to 10)
    • focused on making muscles more resilient to fatigue and lack of available energy or oxygen deprivation
      • HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
  2. stamina being maximizing the duration of maximal force (i.e., increasing snatch sets from 20 to 40).
    • focused on making the body expend less energy to begin with and recover more quickly
      • HIRT (High Intensity Repeat Training)
Seems that LISS (Low Intensity Steady State, aka LED/LSD) helps both.

In general, since adding HIIT to my routine (I really don't have time for much LSD on a consistent basis) I noticed a serious decrease in my ready time between hard sets.

Also added a metcon day with grind intervals and that stepped it up yet again. I do one of each of these per week, only 12 minutes HIIT and 20-25 on the metcon circuit. For me this is a good validation of the science, as I never really did either of these as part of a consistent routine with a timer.

I still get whooped from a hard effort at longer TUT, but recovery is now fast enough I have to stop myself from diving right into the next set.

This being done PHA, upper/lower, so finishing a lower body set I feel almost zero need to pause before my next upper body set. If these were all upper or all lower I wouldn't have to pull back on the reins between.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom