all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stance width during exercise

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Babyubop123

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,
When performing standing kettlebell arm workouts such as kettlebell curls, overhead press, tricep extensions etc. should the feet be narrow and together, or wide similar to kettlebell swings?? Does one have any benefits over the other? I know you stand wide during kettlebell ballistics, but what about standing arm workouts?

My default is shoulder width..

You're looking for the following

Enough stability for the exercise
There is no discomfort or pain
It makes the movement fluid and efficient

Hello,
When performing standing kettlebell arm workouts such as kettlebell curls, overhead press, tricep extensions etc. should the feet be narrow and together, or wide similar to kettlebell swings?? Does one have any benefits over the other? I know you stand wide during kettlebell ballistics, but what about standing arm workouts?
Welcome to the forum!

Given that our approach to kettlebell training avoids muscle isolation work in favor of "compound, multi-joint lifts," I can't give you advice on doing curls or triceps extensions with them. For ballistics you want a comfortable stance (meaning no hip pain or diminished ROM) just wide enough so the kettlebell can clear your knees at the bottom but you're still able to generate power. No one jumps high with a wide stance.

For presses I recommend you narrow your stance to about hip width after cleaning the kettlebell to the rack. However, there is a lot that goes into pressing. I would not group it in with curls and triceps extensions.

Have you found a StrongFirst instructor nearby who can coach you up on the fundamentals?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom