all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Standard of calisthenics?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
so i just do a small test, and figure out that i cannot do more than 30 push ups in the row. sets of 15 push ups are difficult.
i can press the 32 kg bell, do one arm push up legit, and now working with double 25 kg press. my record for headstand push up is 20. i think that is decent number, and i expect more from me of doing push up.
why is my "record" of push up so low? should i work that number up, to like 40 or 50 or something?
The same thing happends with my pulling too.

Hello,

@q.Hung
Even if you are a little bit "disappointed" (despiste a decent number anyway) I guess this is because you do not train a lot your "strength-endurance".

Indeed, even if training for maximal strength with quite heavy weight (for instance the TGU of S&S, or the press of RoP, etc...) transfer to stength-endurance, this is only true to a certain extent. If you really want to increase the number of push ups - but it also goes for other moves - you have to train especially for that.

Below, you'll find an excellent program to max out your push ups:
PT Secrets - The Pushup Push: Double Pushups in 14 Days (FREE) - Stew Smith Fitness Ace the PFT - Preparing Americans for Military,Special Ops, Police, and Fire Fighting Professions

Moreover, I'd add that we are all different. Some folks respond better to low rep range than others. Plus, some of them notice good transfer from low rep and 'heavy weights' (or hard bodyweight move variation, such as OA push ups) to high rep range with easy variations.

Personnally, I tend to respond better to high rep training, and this transfer very well to heavy / hard variation training. But this is only my body.

Kind regards,

Pet'

another question: if my number at endurance exercises are too low, am i in dangerous working with heavy weight exercise? for example, my pull up stop at 12, but i still do one arm chin sometime.

Dangerous? no. max strength takes a lot of time to develop. with a solid base of strength (which you have) a brief endurance peaking plan will get you pretty descent numbers. (maybe not by Lance Armstrong standards but by 95% of the human race standards)
if your goal is to get much better endurance in the pull ups for TSC/military PT or somethings then the fighter pull up program works great as a peaking plan.

Hello,

I do not think this is dangerous because this does not train the same muscle "abilities".

Kind regards,

Pet'

When I was in the Marines, I couldn't get past 15 pull-ups. (I did chin ups, hands just inside shoulder width)
This is the program I did and my chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups, and Headstand push-ups skyrocketed.

They were all slow and controlled, pause at the top and bottom for a count of 5-1000. Ladder format, ladders until I couldn't top the last rung. Supersetted with 60 seconds rest. 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 2 day off. Head stands were done 1:1 with Pullups (regular push-ups to finish the set if necessary)
Push-ups and diamond push-ups were 2x as many pulls.

Day A: Pull-ups (hands outside shoulders)/Headstand push-ups (medium, comfortable width)

Chin-ups (hands inside shoulders)/push-ups (medium, comfortable width)

Day B: Chin-ups (hands outside shoulders)/ Diamond push-ups

Pullups (hands inside shoulders)/push-ups (medium, comfortable width

So, it would be:
A, B, A, off, off, B, A, off, off, B, A, B, off, off, A, B, off, off, A, B, A, off, off, B, A, off, off, etc...

An example of an A day:
Wide grip pullups/Headstand push ups: (1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4, 5/5, 2/1) Stop. Last set didn't top the previous.

Close grip chin-ups/Push-ups:
(1/2, 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, 5/10, 6/12, 4/8) Stop. Last set didn't top the previous.

After I did that for a couple months, I always reached 20 pullups on my PFT. My ladders max was about 8 each time (across the board) when that happened. But I also practiced them so controlled, when I tested I used efficiency.

so i just do a small test, and figure out that i cannot do more than 30 push ups in the row. sets of 15 push ups are difficult.
i can press the 32 kg bell, do one arm push up legit, and now working with double 25 kg press. my record for headstand push up is 20. i think that is decent number, and i expect more from me of doing push up.
why is my "record" of push up so low? should i work that number up, to like 40 or 50 or something?
The same thing happens with my pulling too.

I found a compromise between other programs and Strongfirst principles to be effective.

1. Do one set of an exercise to technical failure (not total muscular failure). Then rest at least 3-5 min before starting your strength sets.

2. Divide your max into 50 percent and do sets of those throughout the day.

Example, do a pushup max of 20 strict pushups. Then do as many sets of ten you can throughout the day.

Stop when you can't maintain the 50% volume. Continue the next day or workout. Something like pushups can be done 5-6 days a week.

Since there is no agreement even among researchers, this covers both bases really well.

All you need to do is swap one strength day with strength-endurance. Pick whatever you feel like doing that day, they all seem to overlap pretty well (i.e. push-ups, dips, handstand presses...etc). So maybe two days strength and one day strength-endurance, or two and two, or 3 and 1, or however you split your week. You may find that both augment each other nicely. More strength helps strength-endurance and more strength-endurance helps your strength. Just be prepared to get rather sore if you work some strength-endurance.

@q.Hung, do not overthink the science and do. Or do it your current training and it’s results unless there is something specific about your results that needs to change.

There is no magic in achieving a particular number of body weights pushups unless you are being tested for just that.

Given the choice, I personally prefer to train to increase my 1rm at a few lifts and don’t care if I can do 10 or 100 pushups.

What is the goal of your training?

-S-

@q.Hung don't bother too much. If you do pushups the right way aka SF style and full range of motion the number of reps will be lower of course.
However, if your goal is to up your number on those that's a fine endeavour.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom