all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Standing ab wheel roll-out progression?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Kneeling - work up to full extension that way then build up to five reps or more.

The most recent Pavel book on the subject, Hard Style Abs, doesn't talk about this, I don't think, but the previous one, Bullet-Proof Abs, does, on Page 50. It's called the JackKnife pushup there.

-S-

@305pelusa Thank you for the video, and progressions for the Standing Ring Fallout. I have really been liking them a lot. I had been slacking on ab training, and found your post invaluable. I have been having some back pain that I have attributed to weaker torso. I feel better already after adding an abdominal exercise to the end of each training session.

Quick update regarding my own progress; I've been doing standing ab-wheel roll-outs to a wall, as well as throwing full ROM kneeling roll-outs into the mix. I've taken the Easy Strength approach that I mentioned previously (10 quality reps), though I've almost exclusively done 2 sets of 5 reps; I like this set/rep scheme at the moment.

I've definitely been able to edge further away from the wall with the standing roll-outs from when I first started, and I'm currently not having a hard time maintaining tension when I tap the wall, so at present, this progression seems to be working for me, and I'm enjoying it.

My abs/waist are certainly a lot more dense as a result of this focused ab work as well; I'm definitely guilty of not doing enough ab-specific work in the past, but I'm learning to enjoy it.

Onwards and upwards!

How do you go with it Harry, have you done a full rep yet ?

I got an ab wheel on the weekend and gave it a spin (pardon the pun) and I could do kneeling rollouts for sets of 4 or 5 straight away without reaching my limit . I tried a standing rollout and failed the first time, on the second attempt I did one but I tweaked my back, it over extended for a split second and I felt a bit of a twinge in there immediately & for a few days afterwards. I think because I GTG with front and back levers I already had a fairly solid core but the ab wheel definitely steps it up a notch or 3.

I ended up settling on a half kneeling half full leg progression. That is I kneel on one knee and have the other leg fully extended and alternate sides for the next set. It seems to be a simple way to add a bit of tension to kneeling rollouts and it doesn't seem as tough as a full standing rollout. It adds a bit torque to the exercise and hits the obliques slightly harder than a balanced kneeling rollout though. 2 reps seems to be just under my limit, so I'm using these as a progression to a full rollout. When I can hit 4 or 5 reps and feel like I have something left in the tank I might try standing rollouts again.

I'm a bit intimidated by that simple little piece of equipment now.

Last edited:
I will voice an opinion I've voiced here a few times - full extension on a standing wheel rollout is difficult not only because it's difficult but because the position at full extension is unusual. I don't think rollouts to a wall are the best strategy for most people; I think the ringrollouts are brilliant but I haven't explored it fully (but since Brad Johnson likes it, I'm confident I will, too). Finding a way to work a standing rollout on an angle is the key to success for most people, and a piece of 3/4" plywood with the far end raised is a simple, adjustable solution. Mine is 72" long x 30" wide, and I start with the end on the 4th step of a flight of stairs, spend a long time working out to a really good, paused, full extension, and then gradually work my way down to the floor from there.

-S-

Are you focusing on anything specific when you do these the Steve?

Are you trying to visualise a hip hinge or generate tension in you midsection etc. I saw you doing them in the dragon flag thread and you made it look easy.

I really didn't feel a great strain on my core when I tried my first full rollout (not when I did it, I did over the next few days though) , maybe that's why I tweaked my back ?

The next time I try a standing rollout I'll be stepping into it with a mental cue to cue to keep everything tight throughout the whole movement rather than just mindlessly extending and contacting. Basic strong first principles anyway I suppose.

My checklist:

I start with maximum forward flexing, actively rounding my spine, spreading the load across my entire spine, clenching my glutes, crushing and bending the handle of the wheel, and pushing the wheel hard into the ground. And it goes without saying that I am keeping my shoulders packed.

From there, as I start to roll out, I focus on posterior hip tilt via maximum ab and glute contraction. As you've observed, @Tarzan, the exercise can be unfriendly to the lower back, so I am trying to fight gravity and keep my back from swaying (over-extending), always trying to keep rounded in my lower spine while also trying to achieve full extension, with my entire body just off the floor (or board I'm rolling out on).

-S-

@Tarzan I've not done a full rep yet, however my range of motion/distance stood from the wall has increased significantly, so all positive there; I'm closer to that full rep. I do however understand @Steve Freides' point about the full extension position being unusual, which is why I make sure to keep throwing in full-ROM kneeling roll-outs, the sets of which I maintain as much tension as I can, both during and between reps to ensure that they are as tough as possible.

Additionally, I'm aware that under ideal circumstances I'd perhaps be best served by rolling up a slope which I'd gradually decrease as described above, however, I currently do not have a plank/board and station on which to set it up, so I'm making do without, and have definitely made solid progress so far anyway. The way I see it, gradually increasing the range of motion served me well in building up to full pistols (by using box pistols), although that was more down to the pistol being a balance feat as well as a strength one, but still... As such, I can see the same principle helping me with the ab wheel roll-out.

And it goes without saying that I am keeping my shoulders packed.

Hey Steve, do you find yourself not just depressing ("packing") but also slightly protracting your scapula? Identical to the Front Lever essentially?

I learned to do that for every position with Posterior Pelvic Tilt (aka assuming hollow body position), such as FL, dragon flags and the roll-out. And it helps tremendously 0_o

@Harry Westgate, the gotcha is that you don't _have_ to manage your pelvis and lumbar spine well until you're at nearly full extension. One could make the analogy to learning to deadlift by doing the health lift (DL from rack pins or similar) and gradually lowering the starting point - it's possible, for sure, but the better learning curve is full range of motion and reduced weight, at least for most people, most of the time, IMHO.

@305pelusa, I haven't paid attention to my scapula, just thinking really intense hollow position. I'll see if I can notice the next time I try these and see if your cue works for me. Thank you for the suggestion. My guess is that I do this as part of trying to break the handle, but I'm not sure.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom