all posts post new thread

Off-Topic STANDING DESK

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eyetic

Level 6 Valued Member
Got back to work after holidays and I'm feeling like sh*t got back and neck pain everyday and I tried everything about ergonomics, rising screens, better positions etc etc

Do any of you had similar issues and tried this "Standing desks" thing?

Got back to work after holidays and I'm feeling like sh*t got back and neck pain everyday and I tried everything about ergonomics, rising screens, better positions etc etc

Do any of you had similar issues and tried this "Standing desks" thing?
Yeah, it is helpful. But no magic there, you have to build up to it and build good patterns and posture before or along the way. Too much too soon applies here too. Desk bound by Kelly Starret is a great introduction to the whys and how tos of standing desks - although I prefer Original Strength stuff (as movement snacks and self care) to Kelly's exercise recommendations.

Swings, carries and TGUs have been great for my posture. And Original Strength resets, especially prone neck nods (in elbow cobra position)

Being able to switch between sitting and standing in a desk based job is beneficial, in my experience.
My joints also demands regular mobility and strength work to remain pain free and mobile, though. Back briding and neck briding truly helps.

ordered a stand to fix to my desk in order to elevate both monitor and keyboard, will try it as it is relatively cheap (60usd) will keep the laptop on the normal desk so I will be doing some chores on the laptop while sitting and some other just standing with monitor and keyboard.

We will see if this leads to improvements.
@Pantrolyx could you please explain back briding and neck briding (i'm not english and don't realy know what briding means, building?) Anyway I'll keep doing my exercises as soon as the pain fades away.

I use a standing desk at work that is electrically height adjustable. It is not a panacea (you can also have 'bad' posture while standing). The aforementioned book 'Deskbound' by Kelly Starrett gives great option in my opinion for setting up your workspace and the use of different options for standing and sitting and also some light mobilization you can perform in your office space. From my point of view it is important to create little movement breaks during the work time as habits; also opening up my hips first thing in the morning and some soft tissue mobilization (10-20 minutes) before bedtime did a great deal for me.
Regarding back pain - I can recommend enough a system of exercises and breathing techniques called 'Foundation Training'.

ordered a stand to fix to my desk in order to elevate both monitor and keyboard, will try it as it is relatively cheap (60usd) will keep the laptop on the normal desk so I will be doing some chores on the laptop while sitting and some other just standing with monitor and keyboard.

We will see if this leads to improvements.
@Pantrolyx could you please explain back briding and neck briding (i'm not english and don't realy know what briding means, building?) Anyway I'll keep doing my exercises as soon as the pain fades away.

Bridging is an exercise, often performed as s stretch:

Bridge (exercise) - Wikipedia

Neck bridging is also called a wrestlers bridge:

I use a Fluidstance Level to prevent poor posture while standing - also takes some time to get used to.

Balance Boards & Standing Desk Accessories | FluidStance

BTW, my favorite designs for standing desks:

Fully - Standing desks, chairs and things to keep you moving

I also just heard on Mark Sisson's podcast that he is a fan of archetypal rest postures and has even published a paper on it if you want to go even further:

Archetypal Resting Positions: How Sitting Like Your Ancestors Could Save Your Health | Mark's Daily Apple

I use a Fluidstance Level to prevent poor posture while standing - also takes some time to get used to.

Archetypal Resting Positions: How Sitting Like Your Ancestors Could Save Your Health | Mark's Daily Apple

Very interesting that article about the resting positions, dont plan to include that "fluidstance" for now, will just try to keep standing the whole day or as much as possible.

Regarding the bridge @Pantrolyx mention...I will try to do it..but if I have to be sincere I believe that's a quite impossible position for me, will try to check out where to begin and start practicing it.

Very interesting that article about the resting positions, dont plan to include that "fluidstance" for now, will just try to keep standing the whole day or as much as possible.

Regarding the bridge @Pantrolyx mention...I will try to do it..but if I have to be sincere I believe that's a quite impossible position for me, will try to check out where to begin and start practicing it.

There are many gradual steps (easier variations) to doing full bridges, some of which you can probably do at your current state of health and fitness. :)

Even though my employer provides standing desks for the employees, I recognize the limits of such desks. (Security guards, etc. who spend whole shifts standing can be prone to aches and pains just like office workers who spend whole shifts sitting.) I find it a nice relief to periodically do tall kneeling (on one knee or both) as I work at my desk. I also try to sneak bits of yoga into my work day (back bends for my back, reverse namaste for my shoulders, etc.). Back bends are considered to be a good counter move for lots of sitting / slouching / rounded shoulders.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom