all posts post new thread

Old Forum Standing room only: bent presses for getups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JZB

Level 3 Valued Member
If someone lacks the space and suitable surface needed for the getup but has the space and ability to perform bent presses, will they provide the same restorative and rehabilitative benefits that the getup does? My wife and I have moved in with her mother while we build our house and space is at a premium. This has led to some changes in programming. I do my squat, press and deadlifting with the barbell setup at my fire station every third day and at home I want to do getups but there is no suitable space. Bent presses have felt great and relaxing as a replacement but I'm just curious if they miss anything and how I could resolve that. There is also swings and snatches I am doing at home.

JZB,

As luck may have it, the kettlebell is portable and is conducive to training outdoors! In all seriousness, Bent Presses work great especially for what your need is - mobility/flexibility. Try adding or pairing with Overhead Squats and/or Windmills too and perform Getups when it fits onto the plan for the same reason.

Shawn

I have been doing just this for couple weeks now. I do not want to do the kneeling to standing to kneeling part of TGU's as there is too much risk (for me) of breaking form and going a bit valgus on the knees which I can NOT afford. My solution is that I do 1/2 getups to high bridge and back down and immediately stand and do clean, bent press, overhead squat all on same side and count that as one getup. Feels really good and I definitely notice a lot of "work" being done by my shoulders by the time I have finished my 10 "sets" (5 reps per side alternating). It does take a bit longer but I just count that as more time under the weight. My shirts are getting tighter!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom