all posts post new thread

Nutrition Starting a 21-day Fast

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Firefly

First Post
Hi All

I'm a new member. Wanted to get advice on doing a 21 day fast, but I couldn't find a way to start a new topic.

Any tips to get me through the first 3 days besides electrolytes and rest? I'm seriously worried about cravings and keto flu! Not working is not an option but my job isn't overly strenuous these days thankfully.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All

I'm a new member. Wanted to get advice on doing a 21 day fast, but I couldn't find a way to start a new topic.

Any tips to get me through the first 3 days besides electrolytes and rest? I'm seriously worried about cravings and keto flu! Not working is not an option but my job isn't overly strenuous these days thankfully.

Thanks in advance!
I would recommend reading "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Jason Fung. This will cover a lot of your questions.

And I would second what @Steve Freides said: Start with a intermittent fasting and learn to get used to living without food for some time.

Not a lot of people have experience with 21 day fast im afraid. I am doing 16/8 or 20/4 fasts depending on the day. I do drink coffee though, i have given up trying to do water only, not worth it for me. I figure if a couple cups of coffee allow me to skip a couple meals its probably worth it

Why would one fast? I'm not talking about the daily, intermittant, fast. Especially if ones goals were "strength" related (aka Strongfirst). Just curious.

I tried it for 4 days, almost half my life ago. I don't recall any benefits, other than the realization that I could survive for a while without food. I lost a bunch if weight. And quickly gained it back when I started eating again.

Regards,

Eric

Another book, which I read years ago, is The Miracle of Fasting.

-S-

hi Firefly , just thought i'd throw in my 2c worth .... curious about the reason(s) behind your intention to do such a long fast and your history with any type of fasting including intermittent. Anyway, i thought i'd just add to this topic by saying that all the fasting "authorities" that i follow recommend doing some sort of brief resistance training during the entire fast, as a way to help prevent loss of lean body mass(muscle). Think about it, there are two ways that your body creates and maintains muscle, that's (1) eating protein and (2) resistance training. And obviously during a fast you're getting zero protein so the only other way to maintain muscle therefore would be resistance training. Doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) long strenuous lifting sessions, just brief submaximal sessions for some muscle "stimulation". Let us know how the fast is going !!

Fasting successfully means being in tune with one’s body. I don’t mean the dubious “mind over matter”. I mean having enough awareness of your body to pay good attention to it and tend to it. Even if one has a numeric goal like fast for x number of days, taking care of yourself is more important than hitting an exact numeric target. Do research so you know how you are getting your electrolytes, etc.

Already being in a ketogenic state and having experience with shorter fasts would be useful stepping stones. It’s not that jumping straight into a 21 day fast without such stepping stones is impossible, but jumping straight in requires due diligence on your part.

Hi,

I've been ketogenic for 3 years and have done a few 3 day fasts, a week fast and a 10 day fast. I did 16:8 for a year and haven't had any difficulties really, it was a gradual progression from keto to 16:8, from there fasting was straightforward. A friend of mine wanted someone to join him on a week long fast so I did, then a few months later for 10 days.

Ketoflu was real for me, though I made many mistakes and was ignorant to the pitfalls of the diet. The key to avoid it is proper hydration, I made my own electrolyte mix using lite salt and baking soda. The recipe is 1.5tsp lite salt, 1tsp baking soda to 2Litres water. Drink this each day. Doesn't taste the best but you probably don't care either! Also maintaining 2-3hrs of MMA training at the time without glycogen replenishment and before keto adaption was rough, zombie state after training!

I think 21 days is achievable though tough for someone without experience fasting. The key is proper hydration. After 4 days it should be easier. See how it goes day to day, but dont plan on celebrating with a big feast when you're done. Have a meal plan for your first week back to feeding! I had difficulty with sleeping and did consume black coffee before work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom