all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Starting again after time off

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KimoSabe

Level 6 Valued Member
I've just had my first fever-free day in a month and in a few more days like this, I should be ready to start moving, getting out of the house, and exercising.

My doctor recommended starting with walks, so I plan to do that daily, starting with 30 minutes and progressing to 60. During this, I also plan on doing some OS resets. After that, I'll include some running, probably in the form of a couch-to-5k program, as well as my regular yoga practice, and when I feel ready, slowly start again with S&S, progressing as I regain my old fitness.

Does that seem like a good plan? Am I missing something, is there something else I could be doing?

For reference, I used to do daily yoga (2-3 hours), S&S or more lately, NW, and hiking.

@KimoSabe
I was in a similar situation at the beginning of the year. I felt that my basic strength was not that diminished. But my endurance had suffered a lot. Like the engine was still the same, but the tank was smaller and the fuel lines thinner.

So I started stuff like 6x5 swings @16 kg. Very easy stuff. Lots of rest. I never pushed it and everything came back quickly. Give your body at least the same amount of time to come back (4 weeks in your case). Always stay whithin yourself.

Hope you get better soon!

This was surgery and not sickness, but you may get something out of my recent article:

May I ask what your fever/illness was?

That was a truly inspiring read, thank you! I likely had some sort of bacterial infection, since my doc shotgunned me with antibiotics and they worked. Tested negative for COVID-19, blood tests were also normal.

@KimoSabe
I was in a similar situation at the beginning of the year. I felt that my basic strength was not that diminished. But my endurance had suffered a lot. Like the engine was still the same, but the tank was smaller and the fuel lines thinner.

So I started stuff like 6x5 swings @16 kg. Very easy stuff. Lots of rest. I never pushed it and everything came back quickly. Give your body at least the same amount of time to come back (4 weeks in your case). Always stay whithin yourself.

Hope you get better soon!

"Give your body at least the same amount of time to come back" - that seems like a really good guideline to prevent me from rushing my recovery ahead, thanks!

That was a truly inspiring read, thank you! I likely had some sort of bacterial infection, since my doc shotgunned me with antibiotics and they worked. Tested negative for COVID-19, blood tests were also normal.

"Give your body at least the same amount of time to come back" - that seems like a really good guideline to prevent me from rushing my recovery ahead, thanks!

Good, I was wondering if it could be COVID-19!

Yes, just ride the recovery wave... it's not always linear. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, but as long as you're moving in a forward direction it will all get you there. No hurry. Like I said in the article, it can be a great opportunity to focus on mastery of the basics. You can put in the same amount of training time, making it non-stressful, and fill in a lot of gaps and learn a lot while doing it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom